Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone made something better out of the spot in the center console that holds about eight quarters? I hate that thing, it is always collecting dirt and is so difficult to clean.

I suspect it might be a standard size opening that something modular might fit there, what ideas do you have?

I already swapped the 12V power outlet (cigarette lighter socket) for a dual USB charger and I don't need fog lights or heated seats.
White Automotive design Steering part Car Auto part

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a nice spot for the aux input too, if you use a vent mount for your phone.
Plant Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Personal luxury car

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Like this? LoL I'm not sure how much fun I can have anymore. Long ago I removed/rearranged the letters on the trunk to instead say O R A L but my new-ish girlfriend didn't like it much.

Also what do you all put in the tall skinny "bin" that is right next to the parking brake lever? I used to have a phone that fit in there but those days are clearly behind us. I think the 1998-1999 models had a longer/shallower bin that might still fit some phones maybe I should go back to that ha ha.

·
Beware of pigs
Little Pig
2,483 Posts
It can fit a switch blank from say a gen 4 Camry. I drilled two holes into one such blank and rigged two switches there - one on-off-on toggle supposed to control when should the alternator engage, one cuts power to all fuel injectors. Both a extreme ecomods. The alternator switch was giving me problems and I had to disconnect it eventually.

If you did get the RS3000 OEM aftermarket alarm system, this is where the indicator light/glass break mic panel goes.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It can fit a switch blank from say a gen 4 Camry.

If you did get the RS3000 OEM aftermarket alarm system, this is where the indicator light/glass break mic panel goes.
I have some kind of alarm system installed by the selling dealer to the original owner, but I am pretty sure it is not the RS3000 unfortunately. They put its indicator by the mirror switches and there is a toggle switch that I do not understand its function on the trim next to your left foot.

·
Registered
01 Corolla CE white
127 Posts
Also what do you all put in the tall skinny "bin" that is right next to the parking brake lever? I used to have a phone that fit in there but those days are clearly behind us. I think the 1998-1999 models had a longer/shallower bin that might still fit some phones maybe I should go back to that ha ha.
Garage door opener?

·
Registered
01 Corolla CE white
127 Posts
Too far from where they need to be unfortunately.
Unless I am misunderstanding you, modern garage door openers do not need line of sight such as from a visor as I believe they might have been in days of old. (I am only on my second garage so I don't have a lot of experience.) On my motorcycle, mine is in my jacket pocket. And in my Corolla, I can be down the street just turning the corner.

·
Beware of pigs
Little Pig
2,483 Posts
Unless I am misunderstanding you, modern garage door openers do not need line of sight such as from a visor as I believe they might have been in days of old. (I am only on my second garage so I don't have a lot of experience.) On my motorcycle, mine is in my jacket pocket. And in my Corolla, I can be down the street just turning the corner.
I have had many remotes fail to open my garage door, when I am in my driveway, all clipped to my sun visor. I have had to hold my hand out the open window and fire them there, even that is no guarantee for success. Even fresh battery did not help. Sometimes I think our Corollas have too thick a skull, that even RF cannot get through.

The last remote I took apart and left apart before buying a replacement, and I still run into this problem.

Sure my garage door open has been there for 22+ years - I once replaced its worm drive gear myself too.

Is it time for a new one?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts