Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered Timken rear wheel hubs from two separate online auto parts stores mentioned frequently on this site. This was Timken part HA590040. I'm convinced I got fakes both times. I reported this to the companies and got refunds. They said they'll investigate, but I doubt I'll hear the results of the investigation.

After I wrote to both companies, I found the following link where another fellow reports (completely independently) basically the same comparison as I present below, for one of the same 2 parts suppliers I used:

Out on the web there are numerous reports of fake Timken bearings from years ago.

Product Automotive tire Font Rim Gas

Product Font Gas Machine Auto part

Product Automotive tire Font Cameras & optics Circle

Helmet Sleeve Font Automotive tire Sports gear

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Rim Gas Font

Font Parallel Rectangle Number Pattern

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Timken is also used by manufacturers as a generic name for the same bearings. Not to say there are not fakes, if someone has a way to track down fakes and prove anything, they could turn the automobile industry upside down. Plus anything that uses bearings.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
17,338 Posts
If there are fakes going through RA, they quite possibly are returns or exchanges. That’s how I think they get through logically.

Thinking that someone purchased the item that was advertised as genuine. Then realized it was not the actual item. Ordered from RA, and then returned it to RA. RA is just as big like Amazon. So quality control is sometimes a miss.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why don't you name them? I'm interested. Is one of them RA? The link says so.
Hey Toronto, I wasn't inclined to give the name. Didn't want a bunch of attorneys coming at me, with denials or worse. However you and others on this site have been so good and helpful to me over the years, so I'll tell you. You got it right, in terms of guessing the supplier.

If there are fakes going through RA, they quite possibly are returns or exchanges. That’s how I think they get through logically.

Thinking that someone purchased the item that was advertised as genuine. Then realized it was not the actual item. Ordered from RA, and then returned it to RA. RA is just as big like Amazon. So quality control is sometimes a miss.
Hey Aces, You've been great to me over the years. I have read that some "customers" do this, they buy the genuine part, then return a fake to the supplier. But it happened to me twice with 2 suppliers. I promised the 2nd one that if they'd update me on the investigation, I would not name the publicly. But I have named the other in my response to Toronto below.

My top priority is educating my colleagues here. For any company, it would be cheaper to just fight me, deny me, and then throw lawyers at me, than to truly admit and fix the problem and replace their inventory.
Thanks for your help over the years, Aces.

Timken is also used by manufacturers as a generic name for the same bearings. Not to say there are not fakes, if someone has a way to track down fakes and prove anything, they could turn the automobile industry upside down. Plus anything that uses bearings.
Hey Retired, I envy you, in your retirement! And your military service, thanks for this. This presentation, a bit dated, is from one Thai manufacturer who got "burned" by fake Timken parts. They go into detail about how to distinguish fake bearings, not hubs, but some similar principles.

Also, hey, maybe I'm wrong about all this, but I don't think so. There are lots of internet stories of fake Timken bearings out there. But they're just that, stories.

The key takeaway for me, that I read to only buy Timken products from authorized distributors. I found out, after my purchases, that my two sources are not authorized.

I do have some regrets here. I mean, did I just publish a few pictures showing the counterfeiters exactly how to improve their fakes? Maybe!

Have a good day Retired!

·
Registered
2007 Silver Corolla CE Auto
922 Posts
Hey Toronto, I wasn't inclined to give the name. Didn't want a bunch of attorneys coming at me, with denials or worse. However you and others on this site have been so good and helpful to me over the years, so I'll tell you. You got it right, in terms of guessing the supplier.
Thx for all your research in educating us albeit from unfortunate circumstances! That makes me wonder if RA is authorized by any mfgr. Hmmmmm?

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
17,338 Posts
Thx for all your research in educating us albeit from unfortunate circumstances! That makes me wonder if RA is authorized by any mfgr. Hmmmmm?
I doubt any or all are authorized. The prices would sky rocket if that were the case. This would limit where one can buy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts