Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
soundman34
2005 Tacoma
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to get new tires for my 05 DC 4x4 but was not sure if I wanted to spend $500.00 + dollars on a new set when I only have 13,000 miles on the BFG rugged trails that came with the truck. I decided on the firestone destination AT. I had the firestone destination LE on my previous truck and they were great! I really wanted the Bridgestone revos but was not too crazy about spending 130.00 per tire for them. I know that they are probably worth every penny, but the destination AT and the Revos averaged the same score on the tire survey on Tirerack.com and they are about $30.00 cheaper. I was having a hard time with the decision to replace tires at 13,000 miles until this morning! We got 6+ inches of snow this morning here in Pennsylvania and I have to say these rugged trail tires are horrible! :ugh3: If I didn't have four wheel drive it would have been a real interesting drive to work today. These tires slide all over the place in the snow. I think they are worse than the Goodyear wrangler RTS that I had on an older truck. I mean they have absoutly no grip to the road. This mornings drive made that decision a lot easier. Next Friday I get the new tires. I can't wait to get these things off my truck! I will post pictures.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am looking at doing the same thing with my truck. Are you upsizing your tires? I was also looking at the revo's and BFG's but the Firestones look like a better deal to me because of the good ratings I have seen on them. I am looking at going from crap Dunlop 265/65-17 to Firestone Destination AT 265/70-17's unless someone can convience me that revo's or BFG's are that much better then those tires.

·
soundman34
2005 Tacoma
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking at going to go 1 size up to 265 75R 16's. I have a friend that has revo's on his truck and he loves them. I really think that the destination is just as good. I had the destination LE on a previous truck and they were great! I just can't see paying the extra money for the revo's right now. I am sure it is an execellent tire for the money, but I think I will take my chances with the destination's. Both tires had execellent and superior scores in the surveys. Not much difference points wise. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well now you guys are making me want to change the tires on my truck and I have no complaints with them...so far! :) Of course, I have only 500 miles on my truck so far.

What the stock size for the TRD Off-Road? What would be the next sixe larger? Any issues with putting one size larger on? Any rubbing, etc.?

I would like to have a set of Revos, but the BFG All-Terrain tires look so damn good! And there must be a reason that they've been around for so long...I've heard nothing but good reports about these tires.

·
soundman34
2005 Tacoma
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the DC 4x4 TRD off road and the stock tires are BFG Rugged Trail 265 70R 16. I am going one size up to 265 75R 16. There shouldn't be any rubbing. I have read here and on other forums that they will fit no problem. It is possible that the front mud flaps might have to come off, but I am not entirely sure about that. The BFG AT is a decent tire, but a little too aggressive for my taste. The firestone destination AT is a good comprimise for me. Like I said I wanted the revo's, but the destination AT sounds like a better deal.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got rid of the crappy Dunlops that came with my Tacoma, and went with the BFG AT's and love them. They are much better in the snow and slippery stuff. I got $300 for the old ones with 7000km on them! In the end, it cost me $800 CDN for the new BFG's. They are 265-70-17, and no rubbing. It is very close to the front mud flaps, I might have to take them off if I go off road, I don't know.

·
Toy Machine
282 Posts
Revo's ROCK :thumbup:

In my opinion, BFG's have a big following for their off-road ability, but they are not that great on-road (read as, "people buy them because it's the cool thing to do" :) )

I have 265/75/16's Revo's on my TRD Off-Road Tacoma, and they rub slightly on the bump on the mud flaps, when backing up w/the wheels cut hard to one direction (I think this is more a function of the offset of me Weld wheels that the very slight difference in tire height - 265/75 versus factory 265/70's.

If you have a Discount Tire location near you, ask them to match the TireRack.com price of $119 each - that's what I did.

--Eric

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
Hey now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I roll BFG's cause I like 'em, and because I've had a good relationship with them...

Not to mention that I seem to get awesome milage out of them for a tire that does really well offroad.

Don't you have some webers to be tweaking on or something?

·
Toy Machine
282 Posts
55reasons said:
Hey now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I roll BFG's cause I like 'em, and because I've had a good relationship with them...

Not to mention that I seem to get awesome milage out of them for a tire that does really well offroad.

Don't you have some webers to be tweaking on or something?
So that's just the way you roll, eh? :smokin:

Hmmm, tweaking Weber? Lemme see...How about having some IDA's bored 52mm, increasing the float bowl capacity, profiling shafts & butterflies, adding monster venturies, and Teflon coating Berg stacks and internals?

:clap:

Did you see my reply to one of your recent posts in the Rants on the Samba? If not, check it...

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
SD90 said:
I got rid of the crappy Dunlops that came with my Tacoma, and went with the BFG AT's and love them. They are much better in the snow and slippery stuff. I got $300 for the old ones with 7000km on them! In the end, it cost me $800 CDN for the new BFG's. They are 265-70-17, and no rubbing. It is very close to the front mud flaps, I might have to take them off if I go off road, I don't know.

Best tire I have ever bought is the BFG ATs This was my first winter on the Rugged trails and they suck :barf: I thought I was on ice when I tried to stop. They are horrable in snow , what a shame. I was hoping for snow to play in. now I pray for no more untill i can buy some BFG at's

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
57HotrodVW said:
So that's just the way you roll, eh? :smokin:

Hmmm, tweaking Weber? Lemme see...How about having some IDA's bored 52mm, increasing the float bowl capacity, profiling shafts & butterflies, adding monster venturies, and Teflon coating Berg stacks and internals?

:clap:

Did you see my reply to one of your recent posts in the Rants on the Samba? If not, check it...
lol... Yeah, I saw the post!! It was a classic bait. Since the rants have been going downhill, I posted that as a lure to get jumped on. As you could see, the old days are gone, the replies were weak, and I just left it there...

The air ride suspension is almost done for the RHD 55, and I got a line on some MINT gas burners for under a grand.

Burnin the candle at both ends too brutha.:D

·
Registered
79 Posts
SD90........nice clean truck !! BFGs are the best tires going ! Dumped the Rugged Trails on mine......got BFG TA 265x75-16s and they fit/no rub/look great. Expect 60K miles....just rotate and keep air in 'em !

·
Geekmaster 5000
26 Posts
I have run BFG's AT on my 96 taco and thought they were great when they finally wore out 45,000 miles on a 30,000 mile tire. I bought Cooper Discoverer S/T tires and for the price, looks, down right durability and great traction off road and low road noise, could not have purchased a better tire for $430.00 all four btw the size was 31" 10.5" 15"rim from Americas's Tire Company

1 - 15 of 15 Posts