Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am about to get BG services on the rolla for brake fluid flush, power steering flush, trans flush, coolant flush. Any factual info versus toytoa and their so called long life fluids?( no newb's please, if you think lifetime fill or 150000 mile coolant is legit, do some research and look up fuild tests, it's just marketing). I plan on doing all these every two years. A local shop will do it all BG for 350. Dealer uses "MOC" and will cost 550. BG offers lifetime warranty if you follow their mileage recommendations

·
Registered
2010 Corolla S
427 Posts
I am about to get BG services on the rolla for brake fluid flush, power steering flush, trans flush, coolant flush. Any factual info versus toytoa and their so called long life fluids?( no newb's please, if you think lifetime fill or 150000 mile coolant is legit, do some research and look up fuild tests, it's just marketing). I plan on doing all these every two. A local shop will do it all BG for 350. Dealer uses "MOC" and will cost 550. BG offers lifetime warranty if you follow their mileage recommendations
before considering this..was your car purchased after jan 2010?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
before considering this..was your car purchased after jan 2010?
8 15 2008..hence they "every two"[years], guess I'll be more clear and edit other post

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought my car 8/9/08
it's always been serviced by Jeff at toyota. Even after it sat for 2 months while I was in basic training. Came home, car went to Jeff. As long as my car is under my extended warranty and whatnot, why mess with a good thing? lol I get the employee discount anyways
plus when you live in the area I do, to get any of that stuff done, you have to drive to KC...just not worth it to me

·
Registered
09 Corolla S
2,598 Posts
I am about to get BG services on the rolla for brake fluid flush, power steering flush, trans flush, coolant flush. Any factual info versus toytoa and their so called long life fluids?( no newb's please, if you think lifetime fill or 150000 mile coolant is legit, do some research and look up fuild tests, it's just marketing). I plan on doing all these every two years. A local shop will do it all BG for 350. Dealer uses "MOC" and will cost 550. BG offers lifetime warranty if you follow their mileage recommendations
For trans, just remember you need the Toyota WS Fluid. But I'm sure everything else is correct, usually PS flush is done every 60k, brake flush is done every 30k or 2years, coolant is done at 120k. but of course new fluid in anything runs better than old fluid.
This is just the rule of thumb i go by for toyotas.

·
Registered
37 Posts
for trans, just remember you need the toyota ws fluid. But i'm sure everything else is correct, usually ps flush is done every 60k, brake flush is done every 30k or 2years, coolant is done at 120k. But of course new fluid in anything runs better than old fluid.
This is just the rule of thumb i go by for toyotas.
+1

·
Registered
629 Posts
I dont believe in the long life stuff either i hear to many bad things bout them....i plan on doing everything by the standard 3000 mile oil change, 20k mile transfluid, brake, power steering fluid change.

·
Registered
09 Corolla S
2,598 Posts
I dont believe in the long life stuff either i hear to many bad things bout them....i plan on doing everything by the standard 3000 mile oil change, 20k mile transfluid, brake, power steering fluid change.
thats just overdoing it. lol

·
Registered
629 Posts
thats just overdoing it. lol
yeah i noe...but thats what we did to our 1990 Camry n shes still strong with the lots of original parts on her

·
Registered
629 Posts
Cars have changed, and so has oil. Toyota recommends 5,000 mi between intervals. Can't go wrong with "factory recommended".
true, but im still sticking with my 0w-20 mobile 1 3k mile oil change interval (it only cost like 20ish bux to do it as i buy it in bulk and on sale) and also by doing everything myself im saving labor and the fluid itself isnt expensive at all compared to the price of a new trans or engine

·
It needsa muffler bearing
BlkSnd 10 Corolla S
567 Posts
ELECTRIC POWER STEERING. I wouldn't go there.

·
BlkSnd 10 Corolla S
567 Posts
I would just drain and fill the trans and coolant every 15k.

·
BlkSnd 10 Corolla S
567 Posts
That would cost you maybe $50 if you do it yourself. $150 to have someone do it at most. Brake fluid change 20k.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Cars have changed, and so has oil. Toyota recommends 5,000 mi between intervals. Can't go wrong with "factory recommended".

Yup, that true. Most don't know in the last round of standards, to meet fuel efficient standards imposed on them that most oil is LESS protective for your engine! Some of the additive packages hurt MPG!

And actually you can go wrong. I wish I had a link to the old article from Bimmer or Roundel (by a BMW MAster Technician, writes for 2 BMW mags)about his thoughts on the higher service intervals(BMW double theirs within a few years, like most manufacturers, but yet, oils didn't double in capabilities in just a few years) about how they were seeing high failure rates on "lifetime fill" components around 100K miles, how he took his custom ordered 3 series, that used some of the most advanced production techniques in the world, opened up the "lifetime fill" diff, and found of course, metal shavings from the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just had the trans done at the dealer, they charged for 11 or so quarts so I hope they actually did it considering you can't just check. Getiing the BG brake flush done now. I'll hold off on ollant since: 1, another cynic of the long life coolant said his was great at 45K on a tacoma, 2, it's easy to check with a multi meter and a cheap freeze level guage . Probably go to 50K and then stick with T
oyota dealer and OEM coolant

·
BlkSnd 10 Corolla S
567 Posts
you should try buying a power steering flush for your car andsee how many facilties actual say the performed them.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,760 Posts
you should try buying a power steering flush for your car andsee how many facilties actual say the performed them.
Our cars have EPS, electric power steering, which means no power steering fluid. :facepalm:

I would think that everyone would know this as it's been pointed out in several threads about people complaining about it!:lol:

·
Registered
2009 Corolla S
82 Posts
Our cars have EPS, electric power steering, which means no power steering fluid. :facepalm:

I would think that everyone would know this as it's been pointed out in several threads about people complaining about it!:lol:
I think that is his point; to see how many dishonest shops would say they performed work that was impossible to do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts