Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK guys, i had to do a crap load of work to get these bad boys to work, but i did it on my gen 3 4 cyl. This kit is the one ericsol is offering on camryman.org. You can find it at this thread... http://www.camryman.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72 I had to use my gen 3 6Cyl calipers in place of my old ones, and i also had to grind down the caliper to make it fit around the rotor. After that, it was a breeze. It took me 2 days of trying different options before i realized i might still have those 6 cyl brakes sitting around from my parts car. I found them and i was planning on swapping out the whole assembly and changing the hub. THAT was a bitch to attempt. I then realized that the calipers were the only thing different. They were bigger to make room for the bigger rotors of the v6. OK now that that's all said and done, heres some reccomendations eric...

If trying to use the kit on a 4 cyl, maybe the mkIV supra non-turbo rotors will fit well with a little grinding (or a new bracket design). Also, if you plan to use the mkIII rotors, they will fit well with some grinding (or a new bracket design) provided you make a spacer to fit between the hub and the rotor, because if mounted without a spacer, the rotor is not centered in the caliper.

If trying to use the kit on the 6 cyl gen 3, you have to grind the calipers down. I suggest making the brackets differently. the positioning of the holes is good vertically, but try extending the brackets and hole out about 3/8 of an inch or so, because thats what i had to grind off to make them fit.
You might want to make the brackets about 1/8 of an inch wider for the cyl. with supra NA rotors, because those will probably rub too. I tried the mkIII rotors on my 4cyl calipers and they rubbed almost as much as the mkIV ones on my v6 calipers. The NA mkIV rotors are only a touch smaller in diameter than the mk3 rotors.

I ALSO had to grind down the calipers in both cases, 4 cyl and v6, right above where it bolts to the bracket. with the holes and bolts in the location that they are, there is no way the calipers would fit in there without grinding. I know the supplied bolts were ground down a little bit for that reason, but the calipers you tested must be different from the older ones, because i still had to grind down my calipers. I dont think there is a way to solve this on your end, the installer will probably have to grind them down always, because there is no way to adapt the kit for that.

So, the stopping power is excellent, but the brake pedal isnt that tight. Its the same tension as it was before. I bet steel braided lines would solve that problem, but i dont have the money for them at this point. I'm satisfied that i finally got the job done after 2 days of work and a lot of trouble with everything. Its a good thing i had those v6 brakes laying around... My buddy that works on supras thinks its really badass to have supra rotors on a camry. I wouldnt advise this without 17 inch wheels at least. Mine are 18's but i bet 17's wouldnt have a problem.

Any questions at all please ask, i will be happy to answer anything. NOT ANYTHING YOU PERVES!

Heres some pics. I didnt take too many during my troubles, just at the end when i finally got it all working.

Attachments

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
pic of all different rotors

gen 3 Camry 4 cyl = 254 x 28mm
mk4 supra tt = 323 x 30mm
mk4 supra NA = 296 x 32mm
mk3 supra = 302 x 22mm
gen 3 camry 6 cyl = 276.5 x 28mm
gen 4 camry 6 cyl = 275 x 28mm

Attachments

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are thr rotors on my car with the wheels. I will probably end up painting the rotors and the calipers. or maybe just the calipers when i have to take everything off and switch to the stock v6 rotors for the winter. So next spring i will have good looking brakes. Next summer i will have my v6 3vz engine swapped in and turboed. So exciting!

Attachments

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
My god, those supra rotors look bigger than my steelies!

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, the measurements are there. the mkIII is bigger than the v6 camry. like i said, if you use the mk3, you have to use the 4cyl calipers and grind them a little bit. You also need a spacer between the hub and the rotor. That would fit incredibly well with 17's , but the mkIV conversion with the v6 calipers will most likely fit too. If you want to do the mk3 rotors with 4 cyl calipers and a spacer, i will make all the parts for you if you want. I will use my old 4 cyl calipers, grind them down nicely and paint them nicely. I will make a spacer to fit and ill even sell you the used mk3 rotors too. Ill sell you all of that for 150 plus shipping. You will also need to buy the brackets off of eric for 163 i BELIEVE he charges. If you want me to do this for you, let me know. It will probably take a week to get everything done RIGHT for you.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
nice job :thumbup:

too bad we get screwed in Canada.....we couldn't do that even if we wanted to...we've all gotta put steelies, or stock rims back on for the winter, so even tho we have 17s that could run them in the summer, it'll be too much effort to change rims, trim, and also brakes just for the winter.....:(

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mk3 rotors on a v6 huh? hmmmm.... you wouldnt want to do that... the difference is too much to use no bracket and too small to use a bracket. plus you will have to make a spacer to fit between the hub and the rotor too.

yeah bro, i have to change for the winter too, i live in connecticut. its really NOT that big of a change over. Now that i know what im doing, it will only take like 10 minutes more than it normally would.
I will just take off the wheels, clean them to their original level of cleanliness, then take the caliper off, take the rotor off, take the bracket off, put the normal v6 rotor back on, then put the caliper back on. then do the other side. its 6 extra bolts per side. then i plan on putting the 15 inch steelies in the front and 14 inchers in the back. i didnt keep all 4 15 inch wheels from my parts car, i only have 3 i think. so i need the 15 inch in the front to clear the stock v6 rotors/calipers.

its not gonna be that much more of a pain than the normal winter swap. plus when i have the stuff off i plan to paint the calipers and the rotors. Next spring when i put it all back on, i will get new brake pads too. the ones i have on there now are old from the v6 parts car.

·
Registered
274 Posts
whats the price of the big brake kit and what items does it include?

I am considering to put this onto my gen3 i4 if it is possible. Would i need to change to bigger calipers in order to make use of this kit?

J

·
sargdesigns
2,497 Posts
Props to you bro! Thats one bad ass brake conversion you got there! How much did that run you? Once again, great faucking job! Now get them damn calipers painted a nice 'Brembo Red'! :lol: :thumbup: Looking good man, keep up the great work!

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
please read my first post clearly...

the gen 3 i4 calipers are not offset enough to have room for the rotors. I am trying to get eric to make some brackets that will fit directly, without modification or different calipers. If I cant get him to make the new brackets, i will end up making them myself. I am pretty passionate about this project now, and i want to see it available for all gen 3 camrys! Gotta support my brothers right? If he doesnt want to make them, i will end up making them. I may end up making a kit a lot like erics, but made for gen 3 specifically. AND TESTED!

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
oh, that's not too bad then.....

I htought you also switched the calipers too......didn't read your whole post....

ha! so I guess those of use with already v6 calipers, we can just change the rotors and thats it then.....interesting......

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
first, Dave Shapiro, you are crazy, take some ritalin or something. try to stay calm. Dave, this is a bitch to do, and you need v6 calipers to do it, unless i end up making a different kit to use the 4cyl calipers. You know im gonna have to charge you a little to do it for you. Due to the grinding and such.

8 pussies...
I DID have to use different calipers. my car is a 4cyl, the v6 calipers i had left over from my old parts car. I was lucky to have them laying around. If anyone tries to do this on a 4 cyl, they will be out of luck. Thats why i plan to design a kit to use the stock 4 cyl calipers. Im even thinking about using the mkIV supra calipers along with the rotors! So many thoughts, so little money....

but even if you already have the v6 calipers, you will still have to grind them down, until my kit is made...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts