Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
01' LE Camry
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about the big brake kits, I want to put a big brake kit on my camry, but im not sure if it will work because I was only thinking of upgrading the front for now because I dont have the money to buy the back aswell, will it be fine if only the front is upgraded to big brake kit because camry is front wheel drive or will it not work. Please need help, thank you.:Bruce:

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
youll just have to make adjustments to brake bias. no idea how thats done though, not sure if it can be done on stock brakes.

whats your reason for upgrading? thoes kits are designed for racing and are major overkill for the money unless doing so. ther ericsol caliper relocation brackets allow much larger rotors in the front(supra TT). match thoes with SS brakelines and good pads and thats a pretty good brake upgrade. i had JUST the ericsol brackets and supra rotors and it made a significant differance....just an idea.

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
On a FWD and front heavy car like the Camry, even with stronger front brakes, you will notice the bias doesn't seem to be a problem on street driving.

It is only at the track, or under very demanding conditions of repeated hard braking that you will notice a problem. As the brakes heat up, your front big brake kit will be working at 100% consistently but your stock rear brakes will turn to shit and probably won't work at all.. That's when you will notice totally f*cked up brake bias...lol

·
Old fogey
1,429 Posts
bbk's are pretty much all show on the street, unless you count those few times when you have an emergency and need to brake hard from 100mph+ in your Camry. Otherwise you'll likely never exceed the heat capacity of your stock brake system. Hell, you could probably run drums in the front as far as street performance is concerned.

That said, the top three bbk manufacturers tend to be Stoptech, Brembo, and Wilwood. Stoptech makes an application for the Gen4 that you can get to work on a Gen3 for those who are interested. You used to be able to get it from Underdog Racing Development, but they don't seem to carry Stoptech anymore.

Keep in mind that just because some company will make a bbk for you with uber large calipers, pistons, and rotors doesn't mean the package is any good. You have to consider various factors like whether they did any work sizing the leading and trailing pistons properly to minimize brake pad taper, the availability of different brake pads (the Stoptech ST-40 caliper utilizes a very common Porsche pad I believe), ease of changing pads, the metallurgy of the friction ring on their rotors, the vane design on their rotors and if they're unidirectional, and overall weight of the system.

If you're in a pinch, wait for someone to sell their Ericsol brackets that allow fitment of Supra TT front rotors with stock V6 front calipers, or see if you can hunt someone down with them who will let you borrow them for a machinist to copy.

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
Rotora also makes a kit for the gen 4, but my kit on my solara squealed like a mofo... I ran it for about two weeks and sold them.

Any pics of your car? What else is done to it? I will admit I rocked my bbk purely for show and bling value... but if the rest of the car isnt done up, it kind of seems like a waste of money...

·
Registered
01' LE Camry
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On a FWD and front heavy car like the Camry, even with stronger front brakes, you will notice the bias doesn't seem to be a problem on street driving.

It is only at the track, or under very demanding conditions of repeated hard braking that you will notice a problem. As the brakes heat up, your front big brake kit will be working at 100% consistently but your stock rear brakes will turn to shit and probably won't work at all.. That's when you will notice totally f*cked up brake bias...lol
S**t thats what I thought would happen as well tony @[email protected] Guess I'll just have to wait until I have enough money to afford the back kit aswell @[email protected] thanks everyone.:Bruce:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Rotora also makes a kit for the gen 4, but my kit on my solara squealed like a mofo... I ran it for about two weeks and sold them.

Any pics of your car? What else is done to it? I will admit I rocked my bbk purely for show and bling value... but if the rest of the car isnt done up, it kind of seems like a waste of money...
lol so true, the only reason i would buy bbk is too look like a balla :clap:

·
Registered
994 Posts
whatever happened with the bracket relocators? did anyone ever let their set be copied? i think we could get enough for a group buy.

·
Registered
97 camry
240 Posts
Ksport make a bbk for a gen 3 and 4 i believe. Gen 4 for sure. But like everyone said above, Its pretty much for the bling factor as its overkill for the streets. I should know since I have a front and rear ksport bbk's. I must say they do look amazing tho....

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
For the rear brakes, use the Gen 3 V6 rear brake setup or 92-96 ES300 rear brake setup. Bigger rotors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts