Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,457 Posts
I think it´s time to take some governments down, no way in hell I´ll let them take over my drving:lol:

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totally agree with you. I think the systems thta the luxury manufacturers are using now for accident avoidance are great. Like Stability control, traction control, lane departures, and the new cruise control systems that will slow your car down if you get to close. But to not be able to control the amount of throttle you can give the car is overboard. IF they are going to do taht then maybe they should jsut limit the power of the cars. Let it be like Japan used to be with the HP limit. Even if they do go forward with this system I wonder if it is something that they would want the manufacturers to install or is it something that will be voluntary. I dont see many people buying cars with some of these systems on them.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
It might be harder to press down the pedal, but I guess if you foot is made of lead, it's a moot point anyway ;)

You'll just work out your leg muscles. Might solve the obesity problem.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
Back home, my uncle gifted my cousin a brand new Volvo S80 (this was a while back). First thing my uncle did was tell the dealership to add a devise that restricted my cus from speeding. The max speed that car could go was reduced to 100KPH. In such a scenario i think usage of such devises is super, cus parents can restrict speeds.

(counter argument) LOL - my cousin took the car to the dealership and paid the technician later to remove the restrictions.
Bottomline: speeding has always been an issue. Currently some of us use radar/lazer detectors, and try to get away from speeding. I'm guessing those of us who want to speed will find a way to tamper with the devise to make it 'retarded'. On the whole, the average joe won't be able to speed.

·
Resident Ford Guy
2004 GT Mustang
5 Posts
HAHAHA!...ha! I wanna see them stop me from speeding. In the past two years I've been pulled over 4 times (98mph in 45 zone, 70mph in 45 zone, 85mph in 70 zone, 65mph in 45 zone) and I still haven't learned my lesson. Making it harder to press down the gas pedal is hardly going to solve the problem.

I hardly doubt this sort of system will go into effect though. GPS tracking every single car on the road? Besides, it's nothing that can't be uninstalled. :D

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
omg a gt said:
HAHAHA!...ha! I wanna see them stop me from speeding. In the past two years I've been pulled over 4 times (98mph in 45 zone, 70mph in 45 zone, 85mph in 70 zone, 65mph in 45 zone) and I still haven't learned my lesson. Making it harder to press down the gas pedal is hardly going to solve the problem.

I hardly doubt this sort of system will go into effect though. GPS tracking every single car on the road? Besides, it's nothing that can't be uninstalled. :D

Sounds like it wont be long before they jsut stop you from driving at all.

·
I Love Priuses
1999 Toyota Camry LE
339 Posts
THANK GOD. I hate speeding, and those who speed deserve to be punished. What's so hard about doing the speed limit? Why do people like to speed? You aren't going to get to your destination any quicker.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well it jsut depneds onteh speed and the conditions. ON the interstate it is nothing for me to do 80 or so in a 70. as long as the conditions are good and there is not excessive traffic or anything liek taht. Also in the area that I live in if you arent speeding by at least 5mph you are going to get run over. NOw when you are doing 70 in a 45 taht is completely different. That is dangerous because more than likely the reason it is that speed is due to either people being in teh vicinity or the are demands it due to congestion, lots of businesses or something of taht nature.

I do not believe tht the govt should be able to limit the speed you can go in your car however. That is waht the police are for, they are there to enforce the laws taht are set.

·
Smell the Audiophiliacity
05 Tacoma
1,226 Posts
epinionator89 said:
THANK GOD. I hate speeding, and those who speed deserve to be punished. What's so hard about doing the speed limit? Why do people like to speed? You aren't going to get to your destination any quicker.
was that a serious statement??? If you are traveling 65 on a highway and I am going 75, who is going to get there quicker?? What is the logic behind driving faster =/= getting to your destination quicker?

·
Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
5,959 Posts
why is this system good? because it'll force people to go the speed limit and make road (theoretically) safer (sic).

why is this bad? because type A drivers like my damn self speed because we don't like being around people because people make bad decisions and in cars can make bad decisions that could severely injure me and/or others, if not kill.

why am i not worried? cuz in the US, we don't spend money on things that WORK and save lives (ie. missile defense, homeland security, health care).

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave's said:
They pretty much already are controlling it. My '01 won't run over 96MPH and supposedly the only way to get around it is to have the ECU reprogrammed.
It is not the govt taht sets taht speed though. It is set by the manufacturer. There are reasons they set those limits on cars. There are some that are not designed to go over a certain speed. also a lot of it is determined by aerodynamic restrictions.

·
1993 Camry XLE
93 CamXLE/73 Lincoln
1,083 Posts
You know, for a while montana didn't have speed limits. It was from either 95-99 or 96-99. Anyway, during those years montana had some of its lowest highway fatalities in the state's highway history. Since the speed limits were reinforced on Memorial Day weekend of 99, highway fatalities have dramatically increased.
I'm not defending speeding because I hate speeders, it's just a little interesting that now that the speed limit is 75mph on highways down from "whatever was appropriate for driving conditions," that fatalities have gone up so drastically.

·
since 1996
05 Impreza RS 2.5
1,772 Posts
Not a bad idea really. Still allows you to sort of speed allowing cops to still issue tickets... More money still going to the gov. then my idea of just governing all cars at 100km/k. And this also means that my old car will have a chance to go faster then all new sports cars. Muhahahaha!!!

·
I Love Priuses
1999 Toyota Camry LE
339 Posts
Facts about speeding in case you want to learn more about laws, safety and such (NY).

My statement was a general one, and true, 75 is faster than 65, but you aren't saving much time for every five miles per hour you speed over the speed limit. Hence why I said "you won't [really] be arriving to your destination any quicker."

60 MPH=1 mile per minute.
65 MPH=1.083 miles per minute.
70 MPH=1.17 miles per minute.
75 MPH=1.25 miles per minute.

Hmm, in one minute you'd be less than a tenth of a mile ahead of me. Doesn't sound like much of an advantage, does it? :dunno: Add in the increased risk of a car accident, a police officer pulling you over, decreased gas mileage* and slight excess wear/tear on your vehicle, it's better to just go the speed limit. And by the way, you might be late for work, but it doesn't matter when you arrive because you're still late for work. Leave earlier and go the speed limit and then the idea of a gas pedal with a mind of its own wouldn't be such a problem after all. :)

*Studies have shown that at 55 miles per hour your engine uses 50% or so of its power just to overcome drag. Any higher and the percentage increases until you reach a point where your engine is using all its power to fight aerodynamics and none is used to make it go faster.

I apologize if I sound like I'm arguing. I feel that it's good to discuss the pros and cons of speeding, and you have every right to express you opinion on the issue. I'll continue keeping at the speed limit and staying slightly below it, though. That's what I'm most comfortable with when I'm driving. On the flipside, however, it's better to speed and know what you're doing than speeding while you're drunk/half asleep etc. :lol:

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's
They pretty much already are controlling it. My '01 won't run over 96MPH and supposedly the only way to get around it is to have the ECU reprogrammed.

Quote:
It is not the govt taht sets taht speed though. It is set by the manufacturer. There are reasons they set those limits on cars. There are some that are not designed to go over a certain speed. also a lot of it is determined by aerodynamic restrictions.
It's an '01 Camry. Actually I thought it probably had something to do with fuel economy and safety. I don't think the govt mandated the limit - just encourages it. But I don't think the car is unsafe above that speed. And if it wasn't for the govt I don't believe Toyota would have set the limit. Then again, maybe someone out there is more knowledgable about the reasoning behind it than me. BTW, my '92 Camry tops out considerably faster.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,938 Posts
im a speed junkie - i guess its because im originally from jersey. :)
i consider myself a much safer drive when i drive 80 mph than other drivers who are scared of driving who are on the highways doing the speed limit in the left lane. driving slower does not equate to safer driving, but driving faster does save time. i frequently drive between jersey and cleveland ohio, and even drive to vermont and colorado annually. just by driving 10 mph faster, i easily save an hour on my trip. i do love driving, but when im already in the car for 8+ hours, saving an hour or two is worth its weight in gold.

·
Smell the Audiophiliacity
05 Tacoma
1,226 Posts
epinionator89 said:
Facts about speeding in case you want to learn more about laws, safety and such (NY).

My statement was a general one, and true, 75 is faster than 65, but you aren't saving much time for every five miles per hour you speed over the speed limit. Hence why I said "you won't [really] be arriving to your destination any quicker."

60 MPH=1 mile per minute.
65 MPH=1.083 miles per minute.
70 MPH=1.17 miles per minute.
75 MPH=1.25 miles per minute.

Hmm, in one minute you'd be less than a tenth of a mile ahead of me. Doesn't sound like much of an advantage, does it? :dunno: Add in the increased risk of a car accident, a police officer pulling you over, decreased gas mileage* and slight excess wear/tear on your vehicle, it's better to just go the speed limit. And by the way, you might be late for work, but it doesn't matter when you arrive because you're still late for work. Leave earlier and go the speed limit and then the idea of a gas pedal with a mind of its own wouldn't be such a problem after all. :)

*Studies have shown that at 55 miles per hour your engine uses 50% or so of its power just to overcome drag. Any higher and the percentage increases until you reach a point where your engine is using all its power to fight aerodynamics and none is used to make it go faster.

I apologize if I sound like I'm arguing. I feel that it's good to discuss the pros and cons of speeding, and you have every right to express you opinion on the issue. I'll continue keeping at the speed limit and staying slightly below it, though. That's what I'm most comfortable with when I'm driving. On the flipside, however, it's better to speed and know what you're doing than speeding while you're drunk/half asleep etc. :lol:
Good Points :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.