Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new here and hope to get soen good advice from yall. I have a 2006 highhy awd with close to 270k miles. The car has been trouble free up till this point. There seems to be a big leak coming from near the oil filter. Because theres so much in that area it's hard to tell for me where its coming from, im fairly sure it's not the valve cover gaskets as theres no oil coming from them. Its leaking all over the exhaust manifold and burning smoke. I had a mechanic check it out and he says it might be the heads leaking, now I'm not a mechanic but wouldnt that also mean I'm supposed to be leaking coolant as well? I will post a pic soon.

·
7,082 Posts
No. It depends which part of head gasket is ruptured to the outside. It, also, may be cracked engine head. So a pressure and leak down tests are indicated.
Was vehicle ever overheated?
How do you KNOW it's not valve cover? Those are notorious about leaking oil in the rear.
You do have V6, right? Rear valve cover oil leak was a plague on those engines.
Please, wash engine rear with engine cleaner and pressure washer, as much as you can. Then, buy contrast dye and UV light. It WILL show where leak is coming from. Car lift will be most beneficial.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant say for sure it's a valve cover gasket. Here's some more pictures, but it looks like it's coming from the front passenger side. I'll try what you said and check it out

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure how much anyone can tell form these pictures, but they sort of show you the overall region of where theres the most oil

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm new here and hope to get soen good advice from yall. I have a 2006 highhy awd with close to 270k miles. The car has been trouble free up till this point. There seems to be a big leak coming from near the oil filter. Because theres so much in that area it's hard to tell for me where its coming from, im fairly sure it's not the valve cover gaskets as theres no oil coming from them. Its leaking all over the exhaust manifold and burning smoke. I had a mechanic check it out and he says it might be the heads leaking, now I'm not a mechanic but wouldnt that also mean I'm supposed to be leaking coolant as well? I will post a pic soon.
quick way to check blown head gasket is to pull the oil fill cap and look on the inside of the cap. If it is covered in a milk shake tan brown color your oil and coolant married inside the head and engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quick way to check blown head gasket is to pull the oil fill cap and look on the inside of the cap. If it is covered in a milk shake tan brown color your oil and coolant married inside the head and engine.
Interesting... I will post pics of the oil cap tomorrow. But because I have to keep adding oil I remove the cap often, it does not look like the coolant and oil are mixing at all.

·
7,082 Posts
Your best bet is to wash and do dye test. Followed by compression test. Unfortunately, getting to bank 1 to do so is beyond average DIY mechanic for the purpose. My gut tells me, you have leaking valve cover as that was common on those engines.... I better be right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interesting... I will post pics of the oil cap tomorrow. But because I have to keep adding oil I remove the cap often, it does not look like the coolant and oil are mixing at all.
well that's good news. I agree with comment that the valve covers are leaking. easy fix. then do the engine cleaning to help make it more visible if the leak continues.

·
7,082 Posts
yeah, got to have engine washed first, so dye shows where oil is coming from... a bit hard to get to from the rear but it potentially may save lots of money with unnecessary repairs.
OP, there's no magic here. Simply has to be done, or everyone is guessing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will definitely do that. I'll keep you guys posted, I certainly hope its just a valve cover gasket for my wallet's sake lol. Thanks alot for the feedback I'll be posting the results soon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts