Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've heard a rumour this weeken, someone says I could put bike carbs (preferably Yamaha R1), on my 4af motor. So it would fit like Throttle bodies, of course with a custom intake manifold.
Questions are
1. Would it work?
2. Would i see any gains?
3. Has any1 ever tried this, any1 got pics?
 

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
Joined
·
9,552 Posts
1) yes they work.. its a bitch to set up, as car guys know nothing of them and bike guys cant be bothered

2) no gains compared to racing carbs made for cars.

3) yes on both counts

 

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
Joined
·
9,552 Posts
well the 4ag just seems like it'd benefit from the ITB more than the 4af.
Thats because nobody does it with a 4A-F than a 4A-GE... but seriously, benefits would be same and there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flashmn said:
1) yes they work.. its a bitch to set up, as car guys know nothing of them and bike guys cant be bothered

2) no gains compared to racing carbs made for cars.

3) yes on both counts

Thanks flashmn. I should of guessed you tried it:) . I've got a guy who know's about bikes who said he'll help me. I'm very keen to try it out.

What would you say are the gains comparing to having the normal carb?
1.Like how many kw?
Also in your pic I see you got a custom exhaust manifold(header, I think your'll call it?) 2.Do you know what diameter it is?
3.What compression is it good to run the 4af at with the bike carbs?
4.Is it wise to shave/skim the head, in order to increase compression?
 

·
operation boro thunder
Joined
·
1,722 Posts
Main advantage for ITBs I would say:

1)Response
2)Smoothnes
3)Power
4)Induction symphony which gives you eargasms!

and maybe 5)Much more room in the engine bay, for lazy home mechanics like me

Anyway if your engine is stock don't bother, but if its built then any engine can benefit from it, G or F.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
project trueno said:
Main advantage for ITBs I would say:

1)Response
2)Smoothnes
3)Power
4)Induction symphony which gives you eargasms!

and maybe 5)Much more room in the engine bay, for lazy home mechanics like me

Anyway if your engine is stock don't bother, but if its built then any engine can benefit from it, G or F.
You say stock, as in what way. At the moment I've only got a 4-1 exhaust branch(header) and a freeflow exhaust system. But possible head work for the future..
 

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
Joined
·
9,552 Posts
What would you say are the gains comparing to having the normal carb?
1.Like how many kw?
Also in your pic I see you got a custom exhaust manifold(header, I think your'll call it?) 2.Do you know what diameter it is?
3.What compression is it good to run the 4af at with the bike carbs?
4.Is it wise to shave/skim the head, in order to increase compression?
Gains... well.. if they're adjusted they'll give better response, but so will webers.
Dunno about the KW
The header is hmm, well I'd have to take measurements, but it ends up as a 2"
yeah why not, adding compression is good. But really the head is a bit restrictive.

From my experience I'd go with webers/dellortos
 

·
Registered
1986 Camry
Joined
·
476 Posts
I was going to do the same thing but decided to go EFI since I was going to use a turbo... I still have the carbs if your interested.

PM me for details if you want
 

·
operation boro thunder
Joined
·
1,722 Posts
AE92 SPORT said:
You say stock, as in what way. At the moment I've only got a 4-1 exhaust branch(header) and a freeflow exhaust system. But possible head work for the future..

With those bolt-ons, don't bother.

Basically if your build (If EFI) is at a point where standalone management is not needed, don't bother fiddling with the quad throttles.

If carb'd, I'd at least go for cams + headwork and higher CR first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Flashmn said:
Gains... well.. if they're adjusted they'll give better response, but so will webers.
Dunno about the KW
The header is hmm, well I'd have to take measurements, but it ends up as a 2"
yeah why not, adding compression is good. But really the head is a bit restrictive.

From my experience I'd go with webers/dellortos
So you say Webers/dellortos, ok, do you know which would work best, 32,36, 38 Weber??? Sorry for asking, if it's a stooopid question, but my knowledge is little and I'm still learning. And 2inch, damn that's big for a header? That's the size of my exhaust.
 

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
Joined
·
9,552 Posts
4-2-1 and it ends in 2"

As for webers, I had DCOE's with 33mm chokes. you could go with 34-36mm depending on what you want.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top