Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
NYY 26
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those thinking of getting the Toyota Bike Fork Mount Accessory I wanted to share what I did. I had the fork cleats from my previous truck which I had mounted on a 2X4 and I dropped the 2X4 in the bed groves and I was good to go.

Since that setup didn't work out in the Tacoma I removed the fork cleats from the 2X4 and went to the hardware store and spent $2.00 on some bolts and locking nuts. I attached the fork cleat to the bed rail cleat. After I mount the bike fork into the cleat I use a bun-gee cord in the bed tie downs to keep the back tire from bouncing. It also reduces the amount of sway on the bike while driving. So far it has worked out well - Just make sure everything is tight!:)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nice job...thats a hell of alot cheaper way to go than buying the toyota mount...plus you don't have to worry about the welds breaking like you do with the toyota mount - thats a solid piece. the fork mount can be found around here for about 20$ I will go this way for my next mount.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are the man, just got my new 07 Taco yesterday and was looking for bike mount options. I saw your thread right before lunch, ran to the hardware store and built mine at lunch. Friggin sweeeeet!!!

·
Chicks dig it...!
'06 Tacoma EC Sport
1,893 Posts
Why not mount the block heads directly into the cleat track? It will be more stable and you will get to keep use of all four of your cleats for other things...

·
^^Name. What I say >>
07 DC PreRunner
173 Posts
call me old fashion but I just lay my schwin moab 1 in the bed :( j/k

Where did you get the yakima mount? The toyo mount is not that expensive...

·
^^Name. What I say >>
07 DC PreRunner
173 Posts
btw the frontier rail system is 10 million % better then our tacos. Im jealous, of that.

·
Registered
'05 Tacoma, '03 Vibe
178 Posts
I used the option from Rocky Mounts. They are made very well and have locking levers. Yours, however would work just the same and are a lot cheaper!

·
Registered
120 Posts
novataco said:
Why not mount the block heads directly into the cleat track? It will be more stable and you will get to keep use of all four of your cleats for other things...
+1 there's a couple good threads that go over that in-depth, which is what i ended up doing. what are the chances of those bolts bending/breaking over time with that set-up?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, for me, this is just temporary in nature. I plan to get a more solid/better looking solution soon, but this was the perfect quick fix, cause I needed one ASAP. I spent about $1.

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,883 Posts
I did something similar with the Rocky Mounts, although I was able to mount the adapter right against the cleat mount. I ended up buying the Toy adapters, for a more secure fit.

Another quick fix would have been to just lay the bike in the bed of the truck :clap:

·
Registered
335 Posts
novataco said:
You mean something like this......

·
Registered
539 Posts
do you guys find your bike sways a lot when you use the toyota mount on the bed cleat... it kinda scares me... like it might tip over

·
Registered
335 Posts
HUTCHSTACo said:
do you guys find your bike sways a lot when you use the toyota mount on the bed cleat... it kinda scares me... like it might tip over

Ya... thats why I solid mounted mine, does not sway or loosen up anymore.

·
Chicks dig it...!
'06 Tacoma EC Sport
1,893 Posts
racer1x said:
You mean something like this......
Aw man, efin' perfect. You took the Toyota mount and just drilled it into the cleat track? That is actaully the best solution I have seen for people who already bought the Toyota mount.

I am going to do that asap and find some locking skewers. :clap:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts