Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have grown tired of waiting for stealth hitch to make a hidden hitch for the 8th generation Camry. In previous cars I have had a car top carrier rack, a trunk rack, and a hitch rack. The hitch rack was by far the easiest, quickest, and least danger of damage to vehicle and bikes, but I don't want the look, aero drag, and lower ground clearance of your basic bar under car hitch. Any suggestions? If I have to go trunk mount rack is their one which you can raise the trunk, once the bikes are removed, without having to take the rack off?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have grown tired of waiting for stealth hitch to make a hidden hitch for the 8th generation Camry. In previous cars I have had a car top carrier rack, a trunk rack, and a hitch rack. The hitch rack was by far the easiest, quickest, and least danger of damage to vehicle and bikes, but I don't want the look, aero drag, and lower ground clearance of your basic bar under car hitch. Any suggestions? If I have to go trunk mount rack is their one which you can raise the trunk, once the bikes are removed, without having to take the rack off?
All available hitch receivers are already a PITA to mount on the GEN 8 Camry. It’s just a complex process... I would be surprised that a hidden hitch receiver will become available...

BTW, the Toyota manual explicitly prohibits the hitch receiver mounted bike carriers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
All available hitch receivers are already a PITA to mount on the GEN 8 Camry. It’s just a complex process... I would be surprised that a hidden hitch receiver will become available...

BTW, the Toyota manual explicitly prohibits the hitch receiver mounted bike carriers.
Yea, ditto. there’s just nothing else substantial back there to latch onto for something generic to work. Your best bet may be a roof mount ( if that’s even possible, glass sunroof ??). If it will work that may be your only option. I used to work at a border crossing and saw hundreds of Canadians driving 300+ mile to go on vacations with dual roof bike racks for many years.
One thing I did notice was that they didn’t seem to have many cheapo specials, get a good one. I saw a lot of those Thule’s FWIW. The thing I wouldn’t worry too much about is the drag factor. Sometimes it’s out there and he just got a live with it, no big deal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ve been looking into bike racks also for when I get my Camry. And I’m also not a huge fan of the huge hitch. This saris bike rack seems pretty easy to get on and off and seems pretty straight forward getting bikes on and off. It’s expensive tho. https://www.saris.com/product/superbones3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't mind paying $400 for a bike rack, but don't portable ones scratch the paint from the pressure and vibrations?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had one on my civic wasn’t bad didn’t scratch my car I scratched my bike putting it on and off but not my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sometimes you can pad those things up better than they come out of the box using Home Depot or Lowe’s foam pipe insulation. It comes in three-quarter and half inch pipe size is slit lengthwise and you can use zip ties to hold it on. It cuts really nice with a razor knife and if you’re a little bit creative you can do a lot with those things. Unfortunately they’re a little bit FUGLY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts