Toyota Nation Forum banner

Which would you be interested in ordering?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 2059 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am to looking into replacing the stock shocks on my 2005 Tacoma DC TRD 4X4.
Has anyone tried the Bilstein 5100 Series shocks? If so how did they change the ride?
I would like the ride to be a little firmer than stock but not overly harsh. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I know when I had my 04 F-150 I lurked around the forums and everyone that had them liked them. Said it changed the ride for the better. I know they are two totally different trucks but I would think they would still improve the ride.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Bilstein 5100 coilovers

Bilstein 5100 coilover set up and ome 885 springs with 5100 shocks in the back. I'll be installing these once they come in, i'm sure no one has the 5100 in front yet so i'll let everyone know how they ride. The 5100 coilovers are also 1inch longer than stock trd so i'm looken at between 0-4.25 in the front at max with those springs. Talked to the wheelers and bilstein people..... sooooooo excited :whatwhat: I got the shocks for $285 OTD with tax included, free shipping and the springs from wheelers. Got to thank Map06TRD for the great find one the shocks. :clap: Been looken for this kind of setup for days. Wish me luck everyone!!!!!!

·
Stupid is stupid does
5,554 Posts
05SCtaco said:
Bilstein 5100 coilover set up and ome 885 springs with 5100 shocks in the back. I'll be installing these once they come in, i'm sure no one has the 5100 in front yet so i'll let everyone know how they ride. The 5100 coilovers are also 1inch longer than stock trd so i'm looken at between 0-4.25 in the front at max with those springs. Talked to the wheelers and bilstein people..... sooooooo excited :whatwhat: I got the shocks for $285 OTD with tax included, free shipping and the springs from wheelers. Got to thank Map06TRD for the great find one the shocks. :clap: Been looken for this kind of setup for days. Wish me luck everyone!!!!!!

got em off Ebay ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just purchased my Dad's 05 Doublecab 4x4 and stumbled onto the 5100's. I was ready to do Donahoes, etc., etc. VERY HAPPY with the setup of the 5100's. Used them all around with an Alcan Add A Leaf in back. It rides SOOOOOOOO nice. Went to Phoenix to pick the truck up, ran it hard back to Norcal, and the chunked out sections of I-5 were hardly noticeable at 80 mph. The damping is spot on. I am running a 285/60/18 Geolander HT/S on the TRD-BBS Wheels. Will post some pics tonight. The Toyota Techs that did the install and alignment were blown away with how perfect the stance is (approx. 2-1/2 to 3" lift), and the overall improvement in ride quality and driveability.

I think this is the hot setup if you don't want to go crazy with coil-overs, etc. You will love it......guaranteed.

·
Registered
984 Posts
workitjr I have been waiting for some feedback on this setup. So you have the OEM spring setup on the top perch on the shock and it rides nice?

05scTaco I would be skeptical about running the OME springs with this shock because they don't have compensation for the drivers side being heavier and the driver side may sag. You may be able to shim it, but I think factory coils are your best bet with this setup, Just my opinion though and it is meaningless since nobody has done it yet. Please keep us informed as to how it all works out.
Oh yeah workitjr post those pics that you have i am dying to see how it looks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
[/IMG]

Not sure if the pictures translated. Stock 07 on the left, my 05 on the right.
Stock coils, Bilstein 5100 running on the top groove in front, Alcan Add-A-Leaf in rear. It rides better than nice, it rides :clap: SWEEEEETTTTT!!!!!

I am amazed. Came out of an 04 F150 Lariat Supercrew. It was nice, better creature features, etc., but the ride quality with this setup is spot on.

I am really glad I got turned on to the Bilsteins. I believe it is the hot ticket to a moderate stance altering lift, good tire clearance, and better than factory ride quality. I would do the shock changeover even if I had the stock tires.
:naughty:
It's all good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For whatever reason the side by side photo isn't showing up. Look on the first page of the Tacoma truck gallery and you can get an idea of the difference.

·
Registered
189 Posts
So it sounds like the 5100 shock with the OEM coils may be a viable option to level out the truck? If so, I would be very interested. I haven't heard of anyone running the 5100 and the OEM coils.

workitjr, I know the 5100 is adjustable. What lift options would you say the 5100 gives you from the least to the most amount of lift.

·
Registered
319 Posts

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
1slktoy said:
Thanks toku58. I'm watching those again, but the first thread says 'coil-overs' so I'm a bit confused. These pictured aren't coil-over shocks, are they?

These also don't seem to match the part #'s given for the for the std or adjustables 5100's on the Bilstien site.

Am I reading something wrong here?
I'm not sure? Sorry I didn't check the part numbers. The last time I went to the bilstein website they only had the adjustable 5100's for Fords.

·
Registered
8 Posts

The shocks on e-bay from Down South Motorsports are the ones. They use the existing Toyota coil. You must disassemble the existing shock and remove the coil, and then the new 5100 goes on in place of the old shock. It has indexed grooves at the top of the shocks to adjust ride height. It doesn't change the dynamics of the coil, it is just a longer shock. The Alcan AAL is from Toytec and it raised the back about 2".

Here is from the e-bay auction -

Bilstein 5100 Series Pre Load Adjustable Front shocks for a

'05-'06 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 & 2wd TRD (Pre-Runner)

The shocks are Brand New and have never been installed!!!

The Front Shocks have groves in the body so that you can
set them to stock height or up to a 2.5" Lift

Shocks were designed to level out a stock truck.

The rear shocks are also included in this auction.

These are the Bilstein 5100 Series and both shocks are a direct bolt on application.

These shocks are made by Bilstein for Race Car Dynamics to there specifications.

Again this auction is for front and rear shocks.

Here are the part #'s:

Front: BE5-C477-TO
Rear: BE5-C478-TO

Zinc-plated shocks that install like factory replacement shocks and are designed to correct the factory rake.
The OEM spring seat is repositioned to provide more preload to the factory spring.
The result is a level front to rear ride height.
An extremely simple and effective solution, offering increased wheel travel.

To make this deal even better, we are offering

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
He's asking about the part #
Front: BE5-C477-TO
Rear: BE5-C478-TO
It doesn't come up on the Bilstein website.

This is the part # listed on the web page:
Tacoma 4WD/Prerunner 05- 0-2.5" 0-1"
Front: BE5-C475-H0
Rear: BE5-C476-H0

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
SinCityTaco said:
yeah you don't need anything other than a c clip.
HMMM??? The front of our trucks weighs about 1500 -2000 lbs. It seems like bare minimum for a suspension to be held up by such a small clip??
Oh Well? I guess only time will tell if that "C" clip will fail over time?

1 - 20 of 2059 Posts
About this Discussion
2.1K Replies
338 Participants
mikenilson
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing