Toyota Nation Forum banner

Which would you be interested in ordering?

• Total voters
2021 - 2040 of 2059 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
You won't be lifting the rear more than 1.5" to level out the truck even if you lift the front a full 3" so the 5100's will work for you. I am sure Sonny or Marcos will confirm this!

If you aren't comfortable with that you could look into the 5125's 0r 5150's but then you will need adapters to get them to bolt on.
My new buddy Dan at Wheeler's Off Road in Southern Oregon said that the 5100's he has are a tiny bit longer than stockers and are good to handle 0-2" of lift. Does this sound like anything the stockers can't handle? I'm planning on purchasing just the front 5100's for now.

·
Runnin' With the Pack
153 Posts
5100's is the best option in your situation. They will provide a mild lift up front and a shock with better valving in the rear. If you set them at 1.75" it will level the truck, with no added lift required in the rear.

Here is my truck with the 5100's all the way around, with the front set at 1.75" and just the TSB leaf packs in the rear. I am rolling on 265/70/70 tires (Which is exactly the same size diameter wise as the 265/75/16's you have your eye on.)

I like how your truck looks and want the same for mine. The difference is I do a lot of towing and when towing my truck is level, (have the rear leaf tsb and timbrens) When not owing I have that rake I want to get rid of. I already have the toytec AAL for tsb and bilstein 5100 for the front. None of this is installed yet. With the rear TSB and timbrens when towing my truck sits on the timbrens thus I want to AAL. But don't want that rake any worse. Do you thing adding the AAL and setting the 5100's at 1.75 will level when towing and improve my rake when not? Any suggestions? Yes, I do a lot of towing with my truck.

·
Runnin' With the Pack
153 Posts
Because my situation is different, I'll just try by trial & error and see what works for me. Thanks anyway. With an AAL I'll probably have to get a different drop hitch also to maintain level while towing. Right now I'm curious about those Billycans and what they can do for me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Toysareus,

My set up was just like 08TRDOFFRoad's. TSB in the rear, 5100's all around - fronts set to 1.75". I have a Snuglid on mine and it was about level when empty. When I loaded it up with tools or material, it was butt down - slightly butt down with a light load and more so with a heavy load. I had to pick up about 4-80# bags of stucco and I could feel it hit the stops at every bump or dip in the road.

I checked out a thread about the Toytec AAL for the TSB and thought that I would give it a try for $70. I am so glad that I did it! Empty, with just the extra weight of the lid, it is slightly butt high. Last weekend, I loaded it up with camping gear and firewood and a couple of passengers and took it offroad.

It never looked low in the back and never bottomed out while bouncing around on some rough and rocky trails at slow speeds. My gut feeling is that it doesn't whip around corners as nicely as it did prior to the AAL, but I am 100% glad that I installed the AAL's because I almost always have junk in the trunk.

I also occasionally tow a 20' boat and because the boat doesn't always end up perfectly balanced on the trailer, sometimes the tongue weight is excessive. I know that the AAL will make a difference.

And the ride doesn't seem to suffer from the upgrade. The problem with doing it piecemeal is that you may end up getting it aligned at one stage to protect your tires and then end up doing it again if you change your mind. But keep researching these threads - they can help you make an informed decision. Some guys are pretty certain that the AAL lift in the rear might be responsible for some noise or vibration.

I'm not sure if it helped, but when I was installing the AAL, the driveshaft and front end of the differential were hanging pretty low. Before I started tightening up the Ubolts, I used a spare jack to lift the nose of the differential and drive shaft up a bit. Even though there are the bolts that help reference the position of the leaf springs to the axles, it seems like there is some wiggle room. So far, I haven't noticed any noise or vibration.

I still plan to install the front differential drop.

Good luck!

RC

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
I like how your truck looks and want the same for mine. The difference is I do a lot of towing and when towing my truck is level, (have the rear leaf tsb and timbrens) When not owing I have that rake I want to get rid of. I already have the toytec AAL for tsb and bilstein 5100 for the front. None of this is installed yet. With the rear TSB and timbrens when towing my truck sits on the timbrens thus I want to AAL. But don't want that rake any worse. Do you thing adding the AAL and setting the 5100's at 1.75 will level when towing and improve my rake when not? Any suggestions? Yes, I do a lot of towing with my truck.
I think you are on the right track in wanting to add the AAL. When I took off my 3" lift I kept my TSB AAL for this very reason. If I begin towing more than just my ATV trailer then I will probably end up putting the AAL back in to help cure the squat I will inevitably get. I also kept them in case I ever decide to put a cap on my truck. Then I would for sure be installing the AAL!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ordered the front set of 5100's today! Stoked for them to arrive! Going to slowly build the truck I want, a smoother, leveled ride will be hard to argue with as a first mod!

·
Runnin' With the Pack
153 Posts
OK, I put the 5100's on the front. But, I didn't install the AAL because I haven't picked a rear shock. Any help on this? Which shock should I go with? the 5100's have the same travel length as the OE. If buying a 5125 which one to get? I confused (as usual) Or is the 5100's OK with the tsb and toytec AAL? Thanks for your responses. :confused: Dazed & Confused.

·
4.0 Smoking
2,827 Posts
Hey guys i need to replace my front shocks, i have a 3" coil lift on there now, would i be safe using the 5100 shocks?

I have the 5100 in the rears already with a AAL lift.

What you guys think?

·
Registered
107 Posts
my 5100's arrived today, however after taking measurements i am only off 1" back to front...is it worth the cost of an alignment just to get that inch...thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
my 5100's arrived today, however after taking measurements i am only off 1" back to front...is it worth the cost of an alignment just to get that inch...thanks
Do you mean you installed them and your alignment is off an inch? Or you only have a slight height difference front to rear with your stock set up? The 5100's are an awesome addition even if you leave them at the stock height setting. I'm running mine at 1.75 until I save up a few more $$$ for UCA's and then I'm using my AAL to lift the back and setting the Billy's to their highest setting :thumbsup:

If you installed them and your alignment off, yes it is definitely worth the cost of an alignment if you care about your driveability and the wear of your tires. I was pissed when I found out they couldn't quite get my alignment back to spec with the 1.75 setting, but my truck is still on the crappy stock BFG's so I don't care for now. Gotta pay to play! :naughty:

·
Registered
107 Posts
before i install them, i am 36 in rear and 35 in front, sooo, set at .85? and pay for alignment or set at std, let there the the 1" diff, and save the alignment...if the alignment has to be done no matter what, that is ok too. just need to know...thanks....also what is it costing to get 4 5100's installed?

·
Registered
35 Posts
before i install them, i am 36 in rear and 35 in front, sooo, set at .85? and pay for alignment or set at std, let there the the 1" diff, and save the alignment...if the alignment has to be done no matter what, that is ok too. just need to know...thanks
I don't know you're experience with suspension stuff. But personally any time I mess with front suspension where it requires the loosening of any key bolts like your LCA bolts or disconnecting your upper ball joint, I would get an alignment. Most of them shouldn't cost you over $70 for a single axle alignment (since they will tell you what your alignment is on the rear but can't do a thing to fix it if it's off)

·
I Drink your Milkshake
810 Posts
ARRGH !!! HELP!!!

So I ordered the add a leafs from Toyteclifts and they are on there way and I ordered the 5100's from sdtrucksprings.com, since toytec had them listed as out of stock. This morning I got a call from sdtrucksprings. He told me that he found out bilstein will only sell them to a special company. Whatever that means.... They had them listed on the site with full descriptions, yet they do not carry them... What the heck!?

So what do I do now. I cant find anywhere that i can get a matched set of 5100's from. What are my other shock options now? My rear will be two inches higher, so I need a good lift solution up front.

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
ARRGH !!! HELP!!!

So I ordered the add a leafs from Toyteclifts and they are on there way and I ordered the 5100's from sdtrucksprings.com, since toytec had them listed as out of stock. This morning I got a call from sdtrucksprings. He told me that he found out bilstein will only sell them to a special company. Whatever that means.... They had them listed on the site with full descriptions, yet they do not carry them... What the heck!?

So what do I do now. I cant find anywhere that i can get a matched set of 5100's from. What are my other shock options now? My rear will be two inches higher, so I need a good lift solution up front.
I would just wait until I got the 5100's in hand before installing the AAL. And the 5100's are constantly on backorder. When a shipment comes in, they sell out in a day or two. So go to this thread and contact Sonny at Downsouth Motorsports on the status. Then when he updates the thread that they got another shipment in, order them ASAP before they sell out again.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/downsouth-motorsports/96186-dsm-bilstein-5100-2nd-gen-series-shocks-update.html

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
I would just wait until I got the 5100's in hand before installing the AAL. And the 5100's are constantly on backorder. When a shipment comes in, they sell out in a day or two. So go to this thread and contact Sonny at Downsouth Motorsports on the status. Then when he updates the thread that they got another shipment in, order them ASAP before they sell out again.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/downsouth-motorsports/96186-dsm-bilstein-5100-2nd-gen-series-shocks-update.html
+1! Marco and Sonny are great to work with! I got mine from them and it was $282 for a complete set shipped to my door!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know this thread is old and this question has been commented about but I haven't seen any specific answer, so here goes.

I am on my third Tacoma, this time DC, I have bought my 5100's for front and rear and considering just the usual swap of my stock shocks to 5100's. My new 2011 DC is SR5 so I am trying to decide if I should leave the stock coil springs or get something else like OME 885 coils with the 5100's up front. I don't off road much and drive mostly highways/rural roads and would still like a reasonably comfortable firm ride.

My previous Tacoma, 2008 Access Cab with TRD OR package had 5100's with stock coil and 5100's up front set at 0.85 with rear leaf spring TSB and loved the ride and handling.

Forgot to mention the new Tacoma has just had the rear leaf spring TSB done about a month ago.

Thanks,
David

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
I know this thread is old and this question has been commented about but I haven't seen any specific answer, so here goes.

I am on my third Tacoma, this time DC, I have bought my 5100's for front and rear and considering just the usual swap of my stock shocks to 5100's. My new 2011 DC is SR5 so I am trying to decide if I should leave the stock coil springs or get something else like OME 885 coils with the 5100's up front. I don't off road much and drive mostly highways/rural roads and would still like a reasonably comfortable firm ride.

My previous Tacoma, 2008 Access Cab with TRD OR package had 5100's with stock coil and 5100's up front set at 0.85 with rear leaf spring TSB and loved the ride and handling.

Forgot to mention the new Tacoma has just had the rear leaf spring TSB done about a month ago.

Thanks,
David
I'd just keep the stock coils. They're the same coils that come on the TRD Sport, and they work just fine with the 5100s.

·
Registered
288 Posts
116,000+ miles my upper ball joint went :-(. (well 90% sure visual and sound say yes but need to jack truck for 100%).

so I'll be ordering some TC UCAs and the 5100 set from down south motorsports. Figure it should be time for shocks and I'll have the tires off anyway.
05 DC.

Love the truck so far just one set of brakes, some super springs and now new UCAs. Sure beats a truck payment.

·
Registered
53 Posts
forgot to mention that I kept the stock coils and the ride is good/better just feels like the nose is too high and the ass is low now. I haul pieces of steel that are 800-900 lb often and that might make it even more noticeable.

2021 - 2040 of 2059 Posts
About this Discussion
2.1K Replies
338 Participants
mikenilson
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing