Toyota Nation Forum banner

Which would you be interested in ordering?

• Total voters
2041 - 2059 of 2059 Posts

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
forgot to mention that I kept the stock coils and the ride is good/better just feels like the nose is too high and the ass is low now. I haul pieces of steel that are 800-900 lb often and that might make it even more noticeable.
I think you'll get used to it. There's actually a fair amount of rake even at 1.75, so you're definitely not nose high. If you'd done measurements before and after the TSB and the 5100s, you would find that you're probably sitting now with the nose a quarter to half inch lower compared to the rear than you were when it was all stock (before TSB). .85 gives quite a bit of rake (something I'm tired of looking at on mine so I'm planning on going back up to 1.75).

·
Registered
58 Posts
So I got a nice squeak going in my rear shocks. Looks like Blistein 5100’s are the way to go for replacement. These don’t lift the truck up at all, do they? Also, can these be adjusted to level out the front, or is that a whole other kit? I have a 06’ TDR 4x4 dbl cab. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
So I got a nice squeak going in my rear shocks. Looks like Blistein 5100’s are the way to go for replacement. These don’t lift the truck up at all, do they? Also, can these be adjusted to level out the front, or is that a whole other kit? I have a 06’ TDR 4x4 dbl cab. Thanks.
The rear shocks do not provide any lift. The fronts are adjustable to anywhere from zero lift up to about 2.5 inches. So the 5100s are all you need if you want to do some leveling.

·
Registered
35 Posts
5100's on a 2012 regular cab 4x4 ?

does anyone know how the 5100's on a REGULAR CAB 4x4 will ride ??

I will be keeping it at the STOCK ride height in the front and reusing the stock front coils and keeping the stock 2 leaf ( 3 with the helper spring ) rear leaf springs.

The stock shocks ride almost too nice and cushy ( more like marshmallowy ) and handle like crap.

Not trying to be a smart ass but there IS a difference between how a shock rides and how a shock handles. They are 2 separate things.

I don't mind a little firmer ride but I do NOT want a harsh ride.. especially over man hole covers, pot holes and expansion joints on highways.

These stock shocks gotta go soon !

·
Go Cubs!
257 Posts
So I am having my frame replaced and purchased Bilsteins 5100’s for the front and rear. I also bought a 1” lift for the rear and have had the Leaf spring TSB done. I need a suggestion as to what height to set the fronts so the truck is level. I can’t measure anything cause the truck is at the dealer waiting to be taken apart.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
So I am having my frame replaced and purchased Bilsteins 5100’s for the front and rear. I also bought a 1” lift for the rear and have had the Leaf spring TSB done. I need a suggestion as to what height to set the fronts so the truck is level. I can’t measure anything cause the truck is at the dealer waiting to be taken apart.

I assume you mean you’re getting the rear spring recall done as opposed to the old TSB? I haven’t heard from many on here how those sit height-wise. The old TSB leafs were said to raise the rear. If the new leafs don’t raise it much and you add the AAL, you’ll likely want to set the fronts to .85 to keep it level.

·
Go Cubs!
257 Posts
I assume you mean you’re getting the rear spring recall done as opposed to the old TSB? I haven’t heard from many on here how those sit height-wise. The old TSB leafs were said to raise the rear. If the new leafs don’t raise it much and you add the AAL, you’ll likely want to set the fronts to .85 to keep it level.

I had new leafs (TSB) put on about 2 years ago. I am assuming they will not replace them again while they are replacing the frame.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
I had new leafs (TSB) put on about 2 years ago. I am assuming they will not replace them again while they are replacing the frame.

Ah yes, I forgot that if the TSB leafs had the extra clamps, they didn’t recall those. So you’re already used to the leafs. Did they lift the back end more than before you had them? (I’m still using the recalled leafs with my 1.5” AAL)

If they lifted the rear up, I think a 1” AAL will put you in the range of 1.75. If they sit at stock height, then .85 might be closer with the 1” AAL. I just remember guys getting the TSB leafs and complaining about the rear height and needing the 5100s set to .85 just to level the truck. Adding an AAL would then push to 1.75 to level.

Don’t forget about the potential front diff bearing issue if you’re 4wd. I always like to warn people before they lift the front to be prepared for an additional modification cost.

·
Go Cubs!
257 Posts
Ah yes, I forgot that if the TSB leafs had the extra clamps, they didn’t recall those. So you’re already used to the leafs. Did they lift the back end more than before you had them? (I’m still using the recalled leafs with my 1.5” AAL)

If they lifted the rear up, I think a 1” AAL will put you in the range of 1.75. If they sit at stock height, then .85 might be closer with the 1” AAL. I just remember guys getting the TSB leafs and complaining about the rear height and needing the 5100s set to .85 just to level the truck. Adding an AAL would then push to 1.75 to level.

Don’t forget about the potential front diff bearing issue if you’re 4wd. I always like to warn people before they lift the front to be prepared for an additional modification cost.

After getting the leaf spring TSB the rear did seem higher. I do have 4wd so please explain the potential front diff bearing issue?

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
Due to a poorly designed bearing on the driver’s side where the CV Axle goes into the front diff, changing the angles (and can happen at stock heights over time), it’s get a cyclical vibration (and can sound like a grinding noise while driving). Toyota later made a beefier bearing, but East Coast Gear Supply made a fix long before Toyota. Start at the end and read backwards a ways: https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61-tacoma-2nd-generation-2005-2015/220615-help-identifying-noise-feeling-40.html#post3811262

·
Go Cubs!
257 Posts
So if I lift this small amount this is a condition that may happen, or will happen eventually? My Truck is a 2007 and only has 52,000 miles on it. Have other people lifted in this manner without any ill effects?

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
So if I lift this small amount this is a condition that may happen, or will happen eventually? My Truck is a 2007 and only has 52,000 miles on it. Have other people lifted in this manner without any ill effects?

It’s a crap shoot. I’m not sure of the actual percentage that had the issue. One really can’t glean those types of stats from a forum. I think it’s safe to say that it will eventually happen when lifted. Keep in mind I replaced the bearing once with a Toyota bearing (same defective part) before anyone had a fix and that bearing lasted 104K miles with the 5100s set at 1.75. Some people lifted without issues. But I’d rather someone know the possibility going into it. Is the dealership installing your 5100s? If so, maybe see how much they would charge you to install the upgraded Toyota bearing (if they won’t install the ECGS bushing) during the frame swap.

·
Go Cubs!
257 Posts
It’s a crap shoot. I’m not sure of the actual percentage that had the issue. One really can’t glean those types of stats from a forum. I think it’s safe to say that it will eventually happen when lifted. Keep in mind I replaced the bearing once with a Toyota bearing (same defective part) before anyone had a fix and that bearing lasted 104K miles with the 5100s set at 1.75. Some people lifted without issues. But I’d rather someone know the possibility going into it. Is the dealership installing your 5100s? If so, maybe see how much they would charge you to install the upgraded Toyota bearing (if they won’t install the ECGS bushing) during the frame swap.

The Dealer will be installing the 5100's during the Frame swap. I do not think the bushing is part of the frame swap so I think I will roll the dice! Thanks for all of your help and input, it is greatly appreciated!

·
Go Cubs!
257 Posts

So after reading up more on this subject (tacomaworld, which you greatly contribute to, thanks) I am rethinking what I should do. With the frame swap I'm wondering if it is easier on my budget too replace the whole parts in the front that are affected. Do the new parts have an updated bushing? Would this be easier than just doing the bushing? What parts would I need? Thanks for any input 05moose!

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
So after reading up more on this subject (tacomaworld, which you greatly contribute to, thanks) I am rethinking what I should do. With the frame swap I'm wondering if it is easier on my budget too replace the whole parts in the front that are affected. Do the new parts have an updated bushing? Would this be easier than just doing the bushing? What parts would I need? Thanks for any input 05moose!

Have you asked the dealership the cost of swapping out their old bearing with the updated Toyota part while they have the vehicle apart? In the frame swap time lapse videos, they are already pulling out the CV Axles, so it’s literally a 5 minute job to replace the bearing (they should already be replacing the seal if pulling the axle as part of the swap). I doubt they’d install the ECGS bushing since it’s a non Toyota part, but the upgraded OEM part should be a no brainer for them. The dealerships have been offering to replace needed parts during the frame swap for reduced labor cost since everything is already easily accessed.

·
Go Cubs!
257 Posts
Have you asked the dealership the cost of swapping out their old bearing with the updated Toyota part while they have the vehicle apart? In the frame swap time lapse videos, they are already pulling out the CV Axles, so it’s literally a 5 minute job to replace the bearing (they should already be replacing the seal if pulling the axle as part of the swap). I doubt they’d install the ECGS bushing since it’s a non Toyota part, but the upgraded OEM part should be a no brainer for them. The dealerships have been offering to replace needed parts during the frame swap for reduced labor cost since everything is already easily accessed.

After watching one of the videos I see what you mean. I will definitely ask them. Again Thanks for all your help in this matter!

·
Go Cubs!
257 Posts
So the dealer is working on my truck right now and told me that they have to charge me 3 hours labor to take off and compress the old springs off the old struts to put on the new 5100 struts. $135 an hour. Sounds excessive! Anybody have an idea of how long that should really take? To clarify they have to take off the old assemblies and reinstall them for free per the Frame Rust Recall so the only labor should be to compress the springs on the new struts.

2041 - 2059 of 2059 Posts