Toyota Nation Forum banner

Which would you be interested in ordering?

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 2059 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
hope this stops the bickering, as i said i talked to bilstein and wheelers. The shocks are the same 5100 offered on the bilstein website the only difference is the model number, since those shocks are made for the aftermarket company that is selling them. i.e. same 5100 shock just renamed so the company can have some credit, lots of people so this stuff. Buy from the wholesale and repackage them with their company logo even though it's the same product offered elsewhere. Like your coffee beans, smaller company buy wholesale beans that have been already roasted and repackage them with there logo for resale. Anyways. The shocks should work with the stock springs, but i'm going with the 885, because there longer, and it's not like i can't adjust the spring on each front shock, plus i take it if one side sags, i'll just raise that side. tech the front setup with the 885 i added wrong, should be from a 0-5.25inch lift since the shocks are already 1inch longer then the stock ones. given that the new shocks are adjustable from 0-2.5 and the springs are 1.75inch so thats 1+4.25inch =5.25inch of front lift at max. and if i have one side 2.5 and the sag side 3.5 i'll still be set level and no need for top spacers.

Hope this helps everyone out, i didn't think anyone cared :disappoin But it looks like people do :clap: Hopefully my stuff arrives nextweek and i'll have 2 days to wrench on my truck. I've been looking for this for a long time, and just been really hesitant about getting ome shocks, yellow is such an ugly color for them. I'll be sure to take pictures of the install too since i know everyone would want to see it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
toku58 said:
I was looking at the pictures on Ebay, and did you guys notice that it is just a "C" clip that adjusts the height??

I'm wondering how much abuse can that take??
I have 100% faith that these shocks would be fine, those rings you see on teh sides of the picture are what the shocks are mounted on, and i wouldn't worry about the c-clip, there's a lot of other stuff out there that uses them and take more abuse. Think about the expensice coils, the springs is compressed by threading on the shock and that lil disk you can adjust like turning a screw.

·
"Clean" the best mod.
2,276 Posts
toku58 said:
I was looking at the pictures on Ebay, and did you guys notice that it is just a "C" clip that adjusts the height??

I'm wondering how much abuse can that take??
I have a bistien setup like these on my A4, they can take a beating:cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
What are the bilstein part numbers you ordered? I can only find the tundra set up.

·
Registered
296 Posts
That C clip setup is similar to the Downey coil overs. The Downey threaded sleeve slips over the shock body and is held up by a C clip. The Downey setup sucked as it squeeked real bad where the coil rubbed the threaded sleeve but I never had an issue with the C clip.

Guess I would have to ask though why not just go 100% OME up front, also a great, inexpensive, no fuss setup and OME shock out back with the AAL?

·
Registered
296 Posts
McJohn said:
That C clip setup is similar to the Downey coil overs. The Downey threaded sleeve slips over the shock body and is held up by a C clip. The Downey setup sucked as it squeeked real bad where the coil rubbed the threaded sleeve but I never had an issue with the C clip.

Guess I would have to ask though why not just go 100% OME up front, also a great, inexpensive, no fuss setup and OME shock out back with the AAL?

answering myself a little bit here, the bilstein setup is a little cheaper on Wheelers site...

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoadjbils.htm

I wouldn't sweat the C clip either, wheelers wouldn't sell it if there were issues....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Failure

I read on tundrasolutions, some guy had a failure of one of these shocks, I did a search for 5100 pre load adjustable shock. Apparently he was confronted by Bilstein and advised not to talk about his experience on the forums? It is a long thread, check it out, there are even pics.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I had c clip bilsteins on my A4 too, they do take a beating. That car weighs more than a Tacoma as well.
He was advised to not talk about it on the forums, or what. They would kill him. You make is sound like his life was in jeopardy if he sqealed, lol.

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
Yeah Circlips can be very strong depending on the size. There are circlips used to hold our front axles to the CV joint, and their crush breaking strength is a reported 15-20 thousand pounds. The ones used on our axles look to be about the same size as the ones used on those bils.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
05SCtaco said:
hope this stops the bickering, as i said i talked to bilstein and wheelers. The shocks are the same 5100 offered on the bilstein website the only difference is the model number, since those shocks are made for the aftermarket company that is selling them. i.e. same 5100 shock just renamed so the company can have some credit, lots of people so this stuff. Buy from the wholesale and repackage them with their company logo even though it's the same product offered elsewhere. Like your coffee beans, smaller company buy wholesale beans that have been already roasted and repackage them with there logo for resale. Anyways. The shocks should work with the stock springs, but i'm going with the 885, because there longer, and it's not like i can't adjust the spring on each front shock, plus i take it if one side sags, i'll just raise that side. tech the front setup with the 885 i added wrong, should be from a 0-5.25inch lift since the shocks are already 1inch longer then the stock ones. given that the new shocks are adjustable from 0-2.5 and the springs are 1.75inch so thats 1+4.25inch =5.25inch of front lift at max. and if i have one side 2.5 and the sag side 3.5 i'll still be set level and no need for top spacers.

Hope this helps everyone out, i didn't think anyone cared :disappoin But it looks like people do :clap: Hopefully my stuff arrives nextweek and i'll have 2 days to wrench on my truck. I've been looking for this for a long time, and just been really hesitant about getting ome shocks, yellow is such an ugly color for them. I'll be sure to take pictures of the install too since i know everyone would want to see it. :thumbup:
I don't think anyone here was "Bickering" We were all trying to clear the confusion of mis-information!! Of what the Bilstein website listed and the Ebay auction.
I'm not sure about you? but I personally do not like going through the PIA of ordering the wrong parts!! So clarification is the best way to avoid that.

Thanks for the info of the part #!:thumbup:

·
Registered
984 Posts
No dude I am not trying to bicker either, this forum is a great place for information. It was just funny how that came out. It is kind of hard to see where people are coming from sometimes when you all you have is text to read. I was just joking around. This is a very helpful topic to a lot of us. I am going to get some allied spindles in a couple weeks, and if they do not provide enough lift to run 295/75/16 tires then I am going to get a set of those bilsteins. I am sure the tires will clear though. I am however going to run them in the rear with my deavers. They look better than the DR at a fraction of the cost. Not to mention you don't have to drill holes in your frame to mount a reservoir with the bilsteins.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Oh yeah toku, I like your truck. How does it ride with those 885s compared to stock. Everyone raves about Donahoe coilovers, but I had a set on my 06' for about 2 months and they rode like crap. Very stiff when you go to 2.5 inches. Not what you would expect from a coilover. I had OME on my 2002 taco and it rode smoother than stock, plus it took big dips like a champ. I was wondering if the performance from OME is similar to how it was on the older models.

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,882 Posts
Does anybody have a pic of the shocks installed with coil-overs?

The pics on the front page are now stale, nothing to see.

Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
SinCityTaco said:
Oh yeah toku, I like your truck. How does it ride with those 885s compared to stock. Everyone raves about Donahoe coilovers, but I had a set on my 06' for about 2 months and they rode like crap. Very stiff when you go to 2.5 inches. Not what you would expect from a coilover. I had OME on my 2002 taco and it rode smoother than stock, plus it took big dips like a champ. I was wondering if the performance from OME is similar to how it was on the older models.
I live the 885's a bit stiffer than the stock but necessary IMO because of the extra height. I thinking the 5100 are the way I'm going also.
The DR's are good but I don't think I would really make good use of that set-up. So for me since I already have the 885's and I am happy with the ride. The 5100 looks like it would fit the bill!!:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

This is the pic of the 5100 and stock thanks to racer1x's post, i'm sorry i didn't tell you guys what i'm running in the rear because i'm still waiting on the dakar group buy for the leaf pack. so it's 5100 all around with OME 885 springs, and dakar leaf packs in the rear. I would have done the OME 885 lift with toytec, but i had a few options to go, I pm the DR coilovers for sale for 700 but no response, and then was gona do the OME, untill i stumbled upto the ebay thread. Started searching like crazy, and called up bilstein and wheelers to check parts and part #s. On the ebay option you can make an offer i made it for $265, and it was accepted but since it's in cali, i paid tax. Thats a lil over 65 bucks a shock without tax, and such a great deal. i was really worried about the life of the OEM bilsteins with the 885 and toyotec spacer since i know that'll overextend the shock and wear it down longer.

·
Registered
984 Posts
So 05SCtaco, you are running the 5100s with OME 885 coils? What perch are you running the bilsteins at? I assume the lowest perch? I wonder how they ride using the OEM coils.

·
Registered
335 Posts
SinCityTaco said:
So 05SCtaco, you are running the 5100s with OME 885 coils? What perch are you running the bilsteins at? I assume the lowest perch? I wonder how they ride using the OEM coils.
Nobody else running these with stock springs?? I guess I'll have to order some and be the guinea pig.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here ya go.

Stock springs with 5100's front and rear, Alcan Add A Leaf in the rear.

Took the shell off this weekend. Rides better with the additional weight of the shell, but still very nice.

I am running a 285/60/18 Geolander HT/S on the TRD-BBS wheels.

It is a really nice setup and reasonably affordable.
[/IMG]

21 - 40 of 2059 Posts
About this Discussion
2.1K Replies
338 Participants
mikenilson
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing