Toyota Nation Forum banner

Which would you be interested in ordering?


  • Total voters
    139
101 - 120 of 2059 Posts

·
Stupid is stupid does
Joined
·
5,554 Posts
Chips408 said:
Sincity, So what you are saying is that the stock front height is two inches lower than the rear?


Thanks for your input...

chips
I think its about 1.75



This is not the way to lift the front. All you will do is make the front rise more harsh by preloading the front coils even more. Check out some OME 885 coils if you want to level the truck the right way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
984 Posts
Well lotust according to what everone is saying about this setup, it is the way to go. Everyone says it rides better than stock. The only person so far who said it rode stiff is the guy who just installed OME coils on them. For a budget lift, I would say this is the way to go.
Yes the front is approx. 2 inches lower than the rear give or take 1/2. On my sport the rear was 2.5 inches lower, but I have some truck where it is under 2 inches. If I wanted the truck to sit a little taller in the front then the rear I would run these on the top setting. There was a guy who did the second to the top setting whose front is still a smidge lower than the rear. Read the posts and you will see who did this.
 

·
2005 white DC TRD OFFROAD
Joined
·
180 Posts
so if i have a tough country spacer lift in the front of my double cab, will these shocks work?
 

·
Stupid is stupid does
Joined
·
5,554 Posts
SinCityTaco said:
Well lotust according to what everone is saying about this setup, it is the way to go. Everyone says it rides better than stock. The only person so far who said it rode stiff is the guy who just installed OME coils on them. For a budget lift, I would say this is the way to go.
Yes the front is approx. 2 inches lower than the rear give or take 1/2. On my sport the rear was 2.5 inches lower, but I have some truck where it is under 2 inches. If I wanted the truck to sit a little taller in the front then the rear I would run these on the top setting. There was a guy who did the second to the top setting whose front is still a smidge lower than the rear. Read the posts and you will see who did this.

Well we have like 3 different sets of factory coils. Sport/off roads and the regular Sr5/stock coils.


There is no way in hell putting more load on the Off road coils will make a better ride. There progressive coils.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
05SCtaco said:
So i finially finished the whole process, i'll post pics up later, since i didn't have any internet a few days ether. But be for warned about the 885 springs, i have them on the second notch up from the bottom. so 1/2 an inch and to tell you the truth it's a bitch to install the shock, and get it in and i had to find a shop with a wall mount spring compressor or up, you can't so this by yourself unless you have the tools. It took me forever because my driver side steering knuckle wouldn't come out, so i had to take the lower control arm off, just to fit the new coils. 885 with 1/2 on the shock = really stiff. I would have to say just put in on the bottom notch, or use your factory springs with the top notch. I would have to say i'm glad i have a 2x4, because the CV boot angles on a 4x4 with my set up would be really bad when installing. But i'll have to hit some speed bumps first to see if everything is tighten on right. I didn't measure the lift yet, but i'll head over to my dealer and just whip out the measuring tape.

P.S. my truck looks like it's from SoCaL now with the front higher then the rear :disappoin .....
FYI, 885 and 884 has the same spring rate. 885 is longer so when used with OME shocks it means higher preload. 885 use with 5100 at the 2nd notch you have a high pre-load that's why it's hard to install. You might need to do a alignment since you lift the front.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
sloowr6 said:
FYI, 885 and 884 has the same spring rate. 885 is longer so when used with OME shocks it means higher preload. 885 use with 5100 at the 2nd notch you have a high pre-load that's why it's hard to install. You might need to do a alignment since you lift the front.:)
I plan to do an alignment after i get my dakars done. I'm not gona do a write up, but i'll post the pictures once they load up on my photobucket account. If you run it with the 885's use the bottom notch. If the front is about 1.75 inchs lower then the rear, then hell i know for a fact i'm over 3 inchs of lift. can someone give me a stock # from center of hub cap to the bottom of fender?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
984 Posts
That looks like it is sitting a little high. That would mean there is too much preload on the long ass coil, which looks cool. That would definately make it ride rough, not to mention is putting undo stress on your susension components. But if it rides nice, then that is awesome. That would seem like it is not the case though, because I am sure you have about zero downtravel in the front.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
shocks

Racer first off let me say looks nice sincity looks like you are on your way to having a nice setup also. Here is my question I have read the entire thread what I need to know is there anybody running these 5100's with 265/70/16. I just put revos on my truck and want to lift it it seems though that yuo have 2.5 or 3 these being adjustable might be just the ticket. What do you guys think
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
05SCtaco said:
Looks pretty high, I remember read it somewhere that the 5100 is 1" longer than the stock shock. I'm not 100% sure, but if that is true then 885 + 5100 means it's a longer shock. My stock setup is 21 7/8" from bottom of flare to the lower edge of the center circle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
tcbrokenwings said:
im so confusedddddd


so you can utilize the stock trd springs with the 5100's to achieve a lift in the front only right?

about how much?
Yes, it has 4 notches. At most is around ~2.5".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
tcbrokenwings said:
im so confusedddddd


so you can utilize the stock trd springs with the 5100's to achieve a lift in the front only right?

about how much?
0-2.5" Ride Height Adjustable.An extremely simple and effective solution, offering increased wheel travel while accommodating a 33" tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
5100 and the trd are the same length visually, but you can adjust the 5100's appose to the trd shocks. My shocks are really tight, but i don't have enought time at the moment to lower them because i'll have to remove everything inorder to take them out, go to the shop and remove 1/2 and inch. But i'm letting everyone know that if you go with the 5100's and the 885 that you shouldn't put it up a notch, i'd have to say that the ride would be like having 885, and the 3inch toytec lift. I say it's stiff since my front end doesn't keep bouncing like it did with the trd shocks and springs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
sloowr6 said:
Looks pretty high, I remember read it somewhere that the 5100 is 1" longer than the stock shock. I'm not 100% sure, but if that is true then 885 + 5100 means it's a longer shock. My stock setup is 21 7/8" from bottom of flare to the lower edge of the center circle.
I don't have a lift in the rear that is the stock hight in the back, i only put the shocks in the back, there's no AAL, or lift in back. Once i get the dakars, that'll even it out.
 
101 - 120 of 2059 Posts
About this Discussion
2.1K Replies
338 Participants
mikenilson
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing
Top