Toyota Nation Forum banner

Which would you be interested in ordering?

Bilstein 5100 ?

433K views 2K replies 336 participants last post by  Acesolo1! 
#1 ·
I am to looking into replacing the stock shocks on my 2005 Tacoma DC TRD 4X4.
Has anyone tried the Bilstein 5100 Series shocks? If so how did they change the ride?
I would like the ride to be a little firmer than stock but not overly harsh. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

#278 · (Edited)
I hope you have that shock plate for display purpose only, because it is on upside down.

#282 ·
I did not read every page here.

What notch did you guy use that went with the OME 884/885 coils with spacer to get 3" a 3" lift in the front. Im looking for a soft ride.

This seems to be a cheaper alternative to the OME front and rear shocks that cost twice as much as the 5100's ?

#284 ·
5100's

I gotta chime in here. These shocks are really great anyone who has a 2wd or 4wd should look into these for there ride. Futher more the customer support from down south motorsports is the best i have ever seen from any internet deal I haver ever done. These guys are great and will go the distance to help you if you need it. shipping is like stated normally the same week.

#285 ·
I ordered mine from Down South Motorsports yesterday, they were shipped today. When I went to look 'em up on eBay, they didn't have any listed for the Tacoma, only the F-150. I emailed them and talked with Seth, he created an auction for me on a set and I purchased them right away. Done deal in about 15 minutes. Can't wait to get 'em installed. I am just looking to level the front of my 4x4 SR5 which is right at 1.5" lower than the back. (I do have slightly more sag on the driver side, not really noticeable to the naked eye though.)

#287 ·
So I got my 5100s today and am still waiting on my 885s. I saw that one guy on here put the C-clip on the second from the bottom w. his 885s but the ride was kind of stiff. Where should I put the clip w/ 885s to get 2.75-3" of lift?

#288 ·
Measure your stock height from ground to center of wheel, to the bottom of the fender lip, my measure with 285 BFG's are 39 1/2 - 40 inches tall. with the wheel being a 32 inch tall tire. I found my stock heights I'm close to 38 inches from the bottom center of the fender to the ground i have 265/70/16's and my neighbors non-trd pre-runner is about 34 inches from center bottom of fender to ground. so i have about 3-4 inches of lift in the front i suppose. :eek: Thats at the second ring, be advised if you want that height you'll need to be a 2x4 because this will most likely rip your CV boots on your 4x4, the angles are really steep. the spring is alreay 1.75 inches longer, i added half an inch on the shock, and i got over 3 inches of lift. so you should use the bottom clip.

#289 ·
I am selling my full set of 5100s here in a week or so as soon as I get my tax return. I am going to go with some coilovers. They have been on my truck for 250 miles. If anybody is interested email me at Hyrepower@aol.com. You can view the add I have in the for sale section for specific pricing info. @ http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1736422#post1736422.

If you are a serious buyer email me with pricing inquiries and we can work something out.

#290 ·
05SCtaco said:
Measure your stock height from ground to center of wheel, to the bottom of the fender lip, my measure with 285 BFG's are 39 1/2 - 40 inches tall. with the wheel being a 32 inch tall tire. I found my stock heights I'm close to 38 inches from the bottom center of the fender to the ground i have 265/70/16's and my neighbors non-trd pre-runner is about 34 inches from center bottom of fender to ground. so i have about 3-4 inches of lift in the front i suppose. :eek: Thats at the second ring, be advised if you want that height you'll need to be a 2x4 because this will most likely rip your CV boots on your 4x4, the angles are really steep. the spring is alreay 1.75 inches longer, i added half an inch on the shock, and i got over 3 inches of lift. so you should use the bottom clip.
soo...if the 885 sring rate is the same as stock, w/ the clip at the bottom setting it should only give the truck 1.75" of lift correct? do didnt say if you were using the 885 or not but, if you are...one the spring settles in, it should be close to 3" of lift.

#291 ·
SinCityTaco said:
I am selling my full set of 5100s here in a week or so as soon as I get my tax return. I am going to go with some coilovers. They have been on my truck for 250 miles. If anybody is interested email me at Hyrepower@aol.com. You can view the add I have in the for sale section for specific pricing info. @ http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1736422#post1736422.

If you are a serious buyer email me with pricing inquiries and we can work something out.
I posted in your thread. :thumbup:

#293 ·
njmueller363 said:
soo...if the 885 sring rate is the same as stock, w/ the clip at the bottom setting it should only give the truck 1.75" of lift correct? do didnt say if you were using the 885 or not but, if you are...one the spring settles in, it should be close to 3" of lift.
I'm using the 885's with the 5100's on the second setting, the 885's are a stiffer spring then the stock, I have about 2k miles on this setup, and the springs have settled in but nothing drastic, i pretty much can't tell by looks, but when i push on the bumper it's not a stiff as when i first installed it. You'll be getting 2-3 inches on the bottom setting because, the top plate that you reuse is about 1/2 long, i was barally able to put mine on with the spring compressor at the second setting on the shock. Like i said before when i did the install i got up to 4 inches of lift, The 39 1/2 inches from ground to middle of fender underlip was taken yesterday with my 285/75/16 BFG's AT's on. the 38 inches was done with my stock 265/70/16's after install and before wheels. The 34 inches is the stock height, of the pre runner. All measured the same. So tech, if the spring is 1.75 inches longer, and i added 1/2 and inches that leaves it at 2.25 inches tall, yet this gave me over 3 inches, close to 4 inches of lift. I was almost unable to install the coilover at that setting because it was to long. The suspention was fully extended for the install. If you have a pre-runner go for it, if a 4x4 don't even consider raising the c clip. i'll post a pic soon of the angle of the LCA.

#294 ·
05SCtaco said:
I'm using the 885's with the 5100's on the second setting, the 885's are a stiffer spring then the stock, I have about 2k miles on this setup, and the springs have settled in but nothing drastic, i pretty much can't tell by looks, but when i push on the bumper it's not a stiff as when i first installed it. You'll be getting 2-3 inches on the bottom setting because, the top plate that you reuse is about 1/2 long, i was barally able to put mine on with the spring compressor at the second setting on the shock. Like i said before when i did the install i got up to 4 inches of lift, The 39 1/2 inches from ground to middle of fender underlip was taken yesterday with my 285/75/16 BFG's AT's on. the 38 inches was done with my stock 265/70/16's after install and before wheels. The 34 inches is the stock height, of the pre runner. All measured the same. So tech, if the spring is 1.75 inches longer, and i added 1/2 and inches that leaves it at 2.25 inches tall, yet this gave me over 3 inches, close to 4 inches of lift. I was almost unable to install the coilover at that setting because it was to long. The suspention was fully extended for the install. If you have a pre-runner go for it, if a 4x4 don't even consider raising the c clip. i'll post a pic soon of the angle of the LCA.
True, but how come when you order the toytec 3" OME 885 spring kit it comes w/ a spacer that sits on top of the whole stut assemly? Is this to get that extra .5" to get the truck to 3" ??

#296 ·
njmueller363 said:
True, but how come when you order the toytec 3" OME 885 spring kit it comes w/ a spacer that sits on top of the whole stut assemly? Is this to get that extra .5" to get the truck to 3" ??
From what i've read, you need that spacer to make it the 3 inches.
Here is my truck with 885 second setting with 5100's and 285's

#300 ·
SinCityTaco said:
Looks like the front end of your truck is whole lot lower than when you first lifted it.

damn you sold the 5100s allready? :sosad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.