Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Tacoma PreRunner V6
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am asking for personal opinions here.

I want my truck to have a more aggressive stance. The factory rake on the truck is a great annoyance. Also, I would like a little more clearance for Wheeling. I have been looking at the 5100s to just level the truck out or going with the 3" kit.

The 5100s are cheaper, but is the extra money and extra lift worth it? I want to keep my truck on the stock wheels and get more aggressive rubber as well. Also just leveling the truck will not cause any vibrations. I understand that once you go over 2.5" you can get driveline vibrations, I would rather not have to deal with that.

I am on a limited budget but I don't mind waiting longer and saving up the $$ for a better vehicle.

I have also read that the 3" gives a harsh ride. How bad is the ride? I heard that Toytec advises against the use of 5100s with their lift. What shocks should I go with to get a better ride.

The rear 4leaf TSB has been done on my truck. So I can't go with an AAL set up and will have to go with a block in the rear.

What are your thoughts?

Also, how hard is the install on either. I have no tech experience, and very little tools. I really, really, want to be able to work on my truck on my own. All I know how to do really is change my oil.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Do you tow or carry a load (or even 4 people) a lot? If so, would you mind the front being higher than the back in those cases (I don't like it, looks fugly IMO)? This will happen if you perfectly level the truck.
What exactly means "more aggressive stance" in your opinion?

Those are just a few ??? which will help answering.

Good topic btw! :thumbup:

·
Registered
199 Posts
You seem to have read up on this before posting, and know most of the pros and cons. What size tires are you looking to run? If staying with 265s or 275s, I say get the 5100's. You say you want to run the stock wheels, so that is the largest tire you can run without a wheel spacer anyways. I have the rear TSB on my truck and the 5100's on the 1.75" setting came very close to leveling it. I'm happy with the set up and know that if I end up wanting to run 285's, I can always raise the front more. Good luck choosing!

·
Registered
Tacoma PreRunner V6
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you tow or carry a load (or even 4 people) a lot? If so, would you mind the front being higher than the back in those cases (I don't like it, looks fugly IMO)? This will happen if you perfectly level the truck.
What exactly means "more aggressive stance" in your opinion?

Those are just a few ??? which will help answering.

Good topic btw! :thumbup:
Its usually Me and one passenger. I do use the bed a lot (moving furniture, all sorts of other crap), so a little rake might be a good idea. Just not as pronounced as the factory one.

To Me an aggressive stance is sitting level with some meaty tires on it. Thats personally what I have always thought looked best. But I still feel like maybe it would be fun to have a little more height on the Taco.

You seem to have read up on this before posting, and know most of the pros and cons. What size tires are you looking to run? If staying with 265s or 275s, I say get the 5100's. You say you want to run the stock wheels, so that is the largest tire you can run without a wheel spacer anyways. I have the rear TSB on my truck and the 5100's on the 1.75" setting came very close to leveling it. I'm happy with the set up and know that if I end up wanting to run 285's, I can always raise the front more. Good luck choosing!
What are the Pros/Cons of using a spacer? I do like the look of having the tires come out a little further than the body, but not sticking out to far. I'm not sure on what size tires though. I would like tires larger than the Rugged Trails, so I think 33"s would look good.

I have heard nothing but good about the 5100s, I have heard mixed reviews of the Toytec. The truck is my first truck and my DD that I will have for a long time. I want to set it up properly.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If you want the tires to stick out a little you'll need new wheels or spacers.
Other than that, you could go with the 5100's. Set them at 1.75". If you like it, good. If the TSB leafs settle too much, you can add a 1" spacer to the rear (I will probably do that in spring). If now the front is too low, you can set the 5100's to 2.5". You could then make the 1" spacer a 1.5" if you wanted. Lots of possibilities and combinations this way for not too much money (if you do it yourself).
BTW, the 5100's will give you a rougher ride, quite different from stock. I am ok with that, but I was surprised at first after reading all the reviews of the 5100's.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'd say your tire size should be your next decision. If it's 265s or 275s like I mentioned earlier, go with the 5100s and level your truck on the 1.75 setting. If you want 285s, then you'll need front wheel spacers and either the 5100s on 2.5" setting and 1-1.5" rear block, or the Toytec kit with I suppose a rear block rather than add a leaf. I personally chose to run 265s for now, because I want to wait to buy TC UCA's before I lift any higher, so I will have no alignment issues. Also, there are no vibrations, or anything else to worry about with what I have now.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Tacoma
23 Posts

I want my truck to have a more aggressive stance. The factory rake on the truck is a great annoyance. Also, I would like a little more clearance for Wheeling. I have been looking at the 5100s to just level the truck out or going with the 3" kit.

The 5100s are cheaper, but is the extra money and extra lift worth it? I want to keep my truck on the stock wheels and get more aggressive rubber as well. Also just leveling the truck will not cause any vibrations. I understand that once you go over 2.5" you can get driveline vibrations, I would rather not have to deal with that.

I am on a limited budget but I don't mind waiting longer and saving up the $$ for a better vehicle.

I have also read that the 3" gives a harsh ride. How bad is the ride? I heard that Toytec advises against the use of 5100s with their lift. What shocks should I go with to get a better ride.

The rear 4leaf TSB has been done on my truck. So I can't go with an AAL set up and will have to go with a block in the rear.

What are your thoughts?

Also, how hard is the install on either. I have no tech experience, and very little tools. I really, really, want to be able to work on my truck on my own. All I know how to do really is change my oil.
I know your pain all too well. This past Saturday, a friend of mine and myself installed the 5100's on my truck. Set them at the 1.75 setting. Had a small noise at first but it went away after I had the rear TSB and alignment done on Monday. I'm very pleased with the ride and results. I've got some new wheels and tires that should be in tomorrow or Thursday hopefully/ You never know with these Mexican tire shops but can't beat the job they do. Ordered the polished Dick Cepek DC-1 with nitto terra grappler 265/75/16's.

The reason I went with the 5100's is b/c I wanted to see if I even liked my truck being lifted. If I didn't, I'd have no problem taking it back to the stock height. Now I know that I do like the lift so maybe in a few years (after the warranty goes) I'll get some nice coilovers, new rear leaf pack, and a Tom Woods driveshaft to cut down on the vibes.

For now, with me being new to lifts and inexperienced with working on my truck, it was the right decision and required no big changes to my truck for a decent lift. If you are fairly handy and have a decent working knowledge of suspensions, you can do it yourself. There are many good tips on here that really helped me. I say go for it but be sure you have an extra set of hands with some experience if you try it.

If I get the new wheels and tires tomorrow, i'll take some pics so you can see what you think. You'll have ignore the Auburn Alumni sticker though:lol: War Eagle

·
Registered
199 Posts
^ Agreed with the second set of hands. I was going to do it myself until the coil/strut assembly came flying out and into my head. Yes, it hurt. And yes, I called for assistance for the second side.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Tacoma
23 Posts
took some quick pics this afternoon.. it rained today so my truck looks grey instead of black.. will post some clean ones once the weather clears.

Before 5100's and rear TSB

After 5100's at 1.75" and rear TSB. 265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on polished Dick Cepek DC-1's

·
Registered
199 Posts
trmckin, your truck looks great! I just put 951Bs and 265/75 Grapplers on mine, it makes a huge difference in appearance! I hope the perfomance off road is equally improved!

Sorry for being off topic :ugh3:

·
n00b
2,104 Posts

What are your thoughts?

i honestly think, if you're going to lift it, do it right the first time, so that you don't feel any remorse for half assing it later. so u gotta ask yourself what kind of wheeling you're going to be doing. if none at all, the 5100s is probably the way to go bc of price. if little to moderate, think about a toytec ome lift with ome shocks (which is actually what I have). if more, consider a coilover set up
as far as the ride, i honestly think that the addition of the ome shocks to the ome coils and some TC UCAs has def made the ride very similar to stock as far as ride comfort.
as far as the vibes, i used to have them before, but after the UCAs, the OME shocks, and maybe driving a bit, the vibes are now non-existant.
as far as installing. the 5100s or the toytec lift is pretty much the same install: take out the stock strut, compress coils, replace shock/spring/or both, then put back in. tech exp isn't necessary, you can learn as u go, just search other members' experience and tips on the install. as far as tools, you're going to need some tools to install.

·
Buck Up or Doe Out (TM)
2005 Toyota Tacoma
1,539 Posts
Can you put a rear add leaf on the 2.5" setting to make the rear end sit level with the front? I have the rear add-leafs for the Toytec lift but I am second thinking now about getting the 5100's instead. Let me know your thoughts? Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts