Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the Christmas weekend, my wife pointed out that my passenger side power lock button was partially melted. No joke here. Even though it was cold, it still was soft and tacky feeling. What would cause this? I've had the truck for over a month now, and have not noticed it up to this point.

The power lock button works fine, but the upper part of it is partially melted and actually sticks a little bit to your finger. I'll try to get some pics soon of it and post them.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might cause this?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Does your wife paint her nails in your truck? Could she have gotten polish remover on it from her fingers and it's softening the plastic?? I am just guessing.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Droppedmytaco said:
Does your wife paint her nails in your truck? Could she have gotten polish remover on it from her fingers and it's softening the plastic?? I am just guessing.
No..good guess though. I normally don't have passengers, which is why it wasnt noticed until this weekend.

One more thing: I did have a bad paint scratch on the rear passenger door fixed (repainted the door). Is there any solvent they might have used that could of caused that?

I'm going to check with the body shop, but wanted any input ya'll might provide.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yeah I am sure some chemicals at the paint shop could eat plastic. Thats where I would start my investigation. My neighbor that paints uses acetone to clean his gun and cups. Not sure if that eats plastic.

·
Givin' the dog a bone
Tacoma
125 Posts
Acetone does indeed eat plastic. I found that out when i cut the top off a soda bottle and used it to dip my paint brushes in to clean them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts