Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i used GE silicone II Gasket and Seal (black) on my water pump o ring. i understand blue permatex is generally what's used here. is there gonna be a problem or is the antifreeze gonna break down that silicone?

also is the GE silicone II Gasket and Seal oxygen sensor safe/low volitility?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it just says for automotive use. doesn't specify if it can be used near antifreeze. it also doesn't say if it is low volatility or o2 sensor safe, even though it has a picture of a head gasket on the tube.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just conversed with GE. they say it will break down in constant contact with antifreeze. It won't become friable, but it will lose seal.

man what a pain it is to get it off and on again. if it is the O ring doing most of the sealing, do you think i can get away with just leaving it? the engine block mating surface was fairly pitted and i tried to flatten it with sandpaper but it was still pitted although cleaned as well as i could...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what is a BGB?

my haynes manual says to use rtv to hold the o ring in place, so i guess it did the job to that extent. my concern is the pitting on the engine block. the o ring isn't that thick and i don't know if it can handle the pitting by itself. what would you do?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GE is ridiculous. they put a picture of a head gasket on the tube and called it Gasket & Seal. for most applications in a car you would think it would need to be either antifreeze resistant or O2 sensor safe. for a head gasket, probably both. this product is neither.

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
11,229 Posts
GE is ridiculous. they put a picture of a head gasket on the tube and called it Gasket & Seal. for most applications in a car you would think it would need to be either antifreeze resistant or O2 sensor safe. for a head gasket, probably both. this product is neither.
Thats why I use Permatex. When in doubt, their website product listing tells you everything.

It should be ok. Even if the RTV doesn't hold up, the O-ring should.
Agreed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.