Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'94 T100 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few days I have Seafoamed through brake booster line, added to crankcase with new oil and filter (500 mile process and changing again) and gas tank with 93 octane (good results slightly better drive), gone through two cans of choke/carb cleaner in intake plenum (dirty doesn't even start to describe how bad it was) , new air filter, new wires and new plugs. Immediately after plugs were installed, black smoke started dumping out exhaust. This was 3 days ago and as of last night the amount of smoke is embarrassing !!! :facepalm: !!! The truck is driving a lot better with more power and the old gunk is still being cleaned (which could cause some smoke) but this is bad. If you were driving behind me you would be pissed. Im thinking bad plug maybe? Injector? Cap? .........:confused:

·
Mmmm Cookies....
iM
526 Posts
What engine? 3.0, 3.4 or 2.7?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,672 Posts
Black smoke is usually from running rich. Is yer check engine light on? Have you pulled any codes from the ECU? Is the engine chugging? Shoot some video and post it up... ;)

·
Registered
'94 T100 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3vze. No check engine light on. Its dumping fuel somewhere cause the gas gauge is moving faster than my speedometer !!!

·
Registered
1997 Toyota T100
1,939 Posts
My guess is an injector is stuck open. Does it start rough? If so it may be because one cylinder has a bunch of fuel in it. Just a thought!:)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,672 Posts
new air filter, new wires and new plugs. Immediately after plugs were installed, black smoke started dumping out exhaust.
What kind of plugs did you put in (make and model, please)? Pull the plugs and check their condition. What's the current gap of each plug? Report back with piccies of the plugs. Even though the plug wires are new, did you check the resistance of the wires with a multimeter? If so, what were the readings? ;)

Another thing comes to mind...did you put the wires on the right plugs? ;)

I'm guess yer T-100 is running rather rough? How good is the cap and rotor? ;)

Another thing to check is the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator. If that hose has a leak or is disconnected, fuel pressure will build up in the fuel rail... ;)

Even though you don't show a check engine light, I would go ahead and pull the codes from the ECU. ;)

·
Registered
'94 T100 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In response to BamZipPow-----The new plugs are EGK Iridiums. Pulled the plugs again and after just 200 miles heavy on the carbon. I did not check the new wires resistance. I did wire them back correctly. The cap is fine. Havent checked the rotor though. The truck was running fine, well, better than when i got it.----- Today 11:15 Wed-pulled the intake plenum off. WOW. dirty dirty dirty. Previous owner bad!!!:cursin: Im cleaning the intake now. from what i can see most of the intake valves are clean except #1, it is heavily corroded. Checked the knock sensor wires(OK). What action should I take on the injectors? Take the to a shop or DIY? EGR sensor was completely cover in crap. Good news is I can get to the PCV like any other vehicle, bad news is I put a new one in day before yesterday the hard way:facepalm: SO...what to do now? suggestions? Thanks

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,672 Posts
What did the #1 plug look like? Did it look the same as the others? Not sure if the Iridiums will perform as well as a standard plug in the 3.0L engine. Have you tried swapping back in the old plugs? What's the current gap on those Iridium plugs? ;)

Got any piccies of that valve? Valves shouldn't be gitting any corrosion... :(

Injectors will require you to pull them and send them to a shop. They should be able to do a report on them and rebuild them fairly quickly.

Not sure what you mean by putting in the PCV valve in the hard way...it's held in place with a rubber grommet.

Is the EGR valve stuck? How about the passage ways...are they clear? They could be clogged as well... :(

·
Registered
'94 T100 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The fuel injectors are out. #1-very dirty,gummy,black,etc. #2-dirty, #3-BNROKEN:cursin:,#4#5#6,dirty.:argh: and...the sensor coming off the back of the lower intake connected to the fuel rail is BROKEN:argh:. (what is that sensor called?) Im not in a good mood right now! Im working on pics too.

·
Registered
KS
1,584 Posts
man sorry to hear about your troubles. Keep at it, it will be worth it when you are done. pics would be sweet

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,672 Posts
The fuel injectors are out. #1-very dirty,gummy,black,etc. #2-dirty, #3-BNROKEN:cursin:,#4#5#6,dirty.:argh: and...the sensor coming off the back of the lower intake connected to the fuel rail is BROKEN:argh:. (what is that sensor called?) Im not in a good mood right now! Im working on pics too.
Does it look like this?

That should be the fuel pressure regulator...it's vacuum activated. When you say broken...is it physically snapped off? :(

RockAuto.com has these...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1278659&parttype=61241993 TOYOTA T100 Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator

·
Registered
'94 T100 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no, the fuel pressure regulator is fine. It is the water temp sensor that was broken. $135.00 @ O'Reily Auto Parts, $75.00 @ Toyota, $16.00 Online. Anyone know how or why that sensor works with the fuel injectors? The rebuilt injectors should be ready today:) for a amall fee of $140.00:disappoin Should put a new fuel pressure regulator on as well? how often do they go bad? How do i check it?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,672 Posts
The water temp sensor is what the ECU uses to determine the water temp with. The other one is the gauge you see... ;)

The key with the fuel pressure regulator is if the hose is disconnected/leaks...the fuel pressure in the fuel rail will not git regulated by RPMs/vacuum. :(

They can go bad...but there you can determine if it's bad or not with a vacuum test. ;)

·
Registered
'94 T100 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fighting back the tears

Well, after rebuilding the injectors $140, new EFI water temp sensor $130 I dont know how much more $$$ on misc. $#!% and countless hours, it is back together and running.................but, I reason to believe the passenger side head gasket is blown:crybaby: sweet smelling white smoke from the exhaust pipe(Y-pipe) just after the header. no visible leaks of any kind from anywhere after the install.....checked it many times. :facepalm:

·
Registered
1997 Toyota T100
1,939 Posts
Well, after rebuilding the injectors $140, new EFI water temp sensor $130 I dont know how much more $$$ on misc. $#!% and countless hours, it is back together and running.................but, I reason to believe the passenger side head gasket is blown:crybaby: sweet smelling white smoke from the exhaust pipe(Y-pipe) just after the header. no visible leaks of any kind from anywhere after the install.....checked it many times. :facepalm:
Eeek:eek:! Sorry to hear. Hey, at least once it's taken care of that motor should be good for at least 100K!

·
Registered
KS
1,584 Posts
Sorry to hear about your luck. Sounds like its time for a complete engine rebuild.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts