Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hey There...
05' Prerunner Taco
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi does anyone know if blacked out taillights are illegal here in So-cal? Im going for the white on black look with my superwhite taco. already got the tint down, 3rd brake light done.

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
Taillamps shall be red in color and shall be plainly visible from all distances within 500 feet to the rear except that taillamps on vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1969, shall be plainly visible from all distances within 1,000 feet to the rear.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24600.htm

Not sure if that is a yes or no. They don't specifically say that you can't put something on the taillight housings. So I guess if the lamps, when lit, are still red and you can see them from 1000 feet away, you're good.

Here is the whole list of lighting laws:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc_index_l.htm#lightsandlighting

·
Hey There...
05' Prerunner Taco
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I was thinking about the ones from Lund. I know they will still be seen but that read with the black and white look im going for just ruins it.

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma
337 Posts
i havent had any trouble so far (knock on wood)

·
Hey There...
05' Prerunner Taco
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Isn't that auto paint on yours? If its paint I'd be willing to pay you to do mine. I have no experience painting what soever and do feel like trying it and screwing up a pair of taillights.

·
Registered
2005 X-Runner R/R
85 Posts
Raytinman, How did you do that? Is that on the DIY sticky? If not please reply back so I can get an idea I have a painter friend that could hook me up. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma
337 Posts
OneMnk said:
Isn't that auto paint on yours? If its paint I'd be willing to pay you to do mine. I have no experience painting what soever and do feel like trying it and screwing up a pair of taillights.
yea id be willing to paint yours what part of cali do you live in?

OneMnk said:
Raytinman, How did you do that? Is that on the DIY sticky? If not please reply back so I can get an idea I have a painter friend that could hook me up. Thanks in advance.
basically what you do is water sand the tail lights with 1200 to 1500 grit sand paper first and apply an adhesive so the paint can stick to plastic better, the black out effect comes from black auto painter that has been thinned down with reducer and thus giving it a transparent effect, then just apply light and even coats until you get the desired darkness after all that apply a clear coat let dry, sand and buff.... :thankyou:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts