Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
That guy.
91 240SX
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the blacktop 4age require a lot modifcation (new motor mounts or something like that) to drop into a 93 rolla? and is it obd I or II?

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
Depends. If said Corolla is equiped with the 1.6 litre 4a-fe, the black-top will drop right in.
4a-ge 20valve Black Tops did not come in any North American Cars so I would think that they aren't OBD anything...

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
think japan.... obd1 & obd2 aren't there.... no emissions in japan....

·
Druken Postwhore
AE92GTS
2,490 Posts
there is OBD in japan, since Toyota is the first one to create OBDII back in 94. which was demanded by the SAE and california law.

OBDII is not just for Emission problem, it can also detect any electronically controlled motors and sensors.

black top should be able to fit roght into the 93 corolla, but still need lots of modifications.

·
That guy.
91 240SX
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lots of modifications? dont like the sound of that...

toyota swaps are foreign to me... but i know hondas like the back of my hand

what would i have to do to get it up and running?

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
OK...
Heres what i had to do to fit a Silvertop which is similar in mine (this is from a half-cut). Keeping in mind that this was the same model number (AE101) as my car... yours will be different (AE111 as compared to AE111).

The first problem we came across is that the wiring loom was different, which was no problem - we could just swap them over... another problem arose there, the speedo on the dash was different size and different pin sizes which meant changing it over (and Also doin a fair few mods to the bar that holds it up)

The next problem was the suspension was totally different... which meant we had to move it all over and due to bigger discs on the front upgrade to 15" rims... and create brackets for the fuel lines to sit on (they were different too)

There are also a few bolt holes that dont exist on my car that we had to make ourselves (Including a hole for the sensor off the Cat Converter on the floor)

The last issue we are having, that i am fixing at the moment is that there is no power to the rear of the car at all due to the two harnesses being totally different, so we have had to rewire the fuel pump in particular to get the car to run (still not quite there yet). Another issue witht the fuel pump is its not quite powerful enough so u will have to get a higher pressure fuel pump (out of a nissan RB-30DET(T) it what we using) so u can get roughly 88psi or more out of it.

Other than that... Yes, the engine will bolt straight into the car...

·
Do you wanna have a try??
Corolla AE101
92 Posts
well you can directly take the front half cut that is compatible with your car... just like THESPUD said... AE-101 to AE-101...
All the dash board and the gas tank is the same...
I swap my 1.3 to 1.5(japan spec-half cut)... directly into my car... have to modify a few mounthing hole as my mechanic said...
I didn't dare to do it so my mechanic done that... only 3 days whole engine was in... the gas tank go and find 1 at those yard... compatible with your model...

only the problem was the RIM!!! Please ensure that your Disc brake size and then your RIM size...
The most safest way is 15" RIM...

·
Registered
6 Posts
i'm putting a 20v silvertop into my 1997 4afe next week so i'll let everyone know how it goes and what obstacles we run into.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yo Unorthodox. then perhaps you can help me. I swapped a 4E-FTE to a car that didn't have any ECU system and wired it up all myself.
I can figure why you asking about OBD x. On your honda engines, there is a lot of disction from different series by OBD. Perhaps you can help me coz we are gona swap an engine on a CIVIC - B16A on CIVIC that had a SOHC carb 1.3L. My job is the ecu wiring up rather than the real mechanics.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
theres basically two OBD standards, the OBD 1 and OBD 2, the OBD 1 is from the era, when some cars didnt have it and it was basically pretty much different in different makers, whilst OBD 2 is a international standard, that basically all cars can use the same OBD 2 socket.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
djjusty said:
i'm putting a 20v silvertop into my 1997 4afe next week so i'll let everyone know how it goes and what obstacles we run into.
And when you're done.. you better bring that car to the meets!! :mad: I've been thinking of buying a 96-97 Corolla lately and probably doing the same thing eventually, either silvertop or blacktop... or better yet.. 3SGTE!! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts