Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

new here. have a quick question. just changed my brakes on my 2000 2WD TOYOTA TACOMA and i need to know in very plane simple steps on how to bleed the brakes correctly. if anybody out there can help PLEASE get back to me asap.

thanks,

female39:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
They sell cheap brake bleeders to hook up the caliper nipple to assist in bleeding brakes. They can be found at any auot parts store, Pep boys, AutoZone, Napa, etc.
But if want to do with out - its fairly easy. You need a 2nd person though. Hook some type of hose (clear is best) to caliper bleed nipple to aid in catching old brake fluid into a jar or small container. Loose nipple 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Have friend push down on brake pedal and hold. You re-tighten nipple, your friend releases brake. You loosen nipple again, friend pushes down pedal, you tighten nipple, friend release brake pedal. Repeat until air and clear fluid come out. Repeat at all four brakes. Ensure while you do this - you keep the brake fluid reservior topped with fluid per type in owner's manual - Do not mix different types of fluid. Hose is optional - it helps keep fluid in the container. Do not let air get sucked back in lines - this can happen if nipple is loosened and friend backs off on pedal

Hope this helps.

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
Pour some brake fluid in the jar so the end of the hose is submerged. Keeps you from getting air sucked back in and is well worth the cost of the extra fluid. Just slowly pump away until there are no air bubbles coming out. And as stated, NEVER let the reservior get too low!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts