Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't pulled the plugs and taken a compression reading yet but I'm getting glycol smell and white smoke through the exhaust once she warms up in a minute or three.
Has <1000 miles since doing the H Gasket, no oil in water though. Just coolant in the exhaust.
Since I've already done it once it shouldn't take as long the second time if I have to replace the head gasket. And yes, torque specs were by the book when assembling.(Perhaps I should have gotten the head bolts that could be torqued over spec). Not my first rodeo, just a different horse.
Question is, this will be the 3rd time ( maybe 4th?) the head will have been resurfaced, wondering if I should just look for an '85+ 22r engine to put in her, or use the .020 spacer shim with the new H gasket. Or just send her to the boneyard. Not:grin:

·
Soylent Green sales
12,801 Posts
Have you had the head checked to make sure it's not cracked?
Or just replace the head.

·
Senior TN Member
7,508 Posts
There are other causes of headgasket failures too.

- improper air-fuel ratios and running to lean and hot
- improper ignition-timing, causing knocking & pinging
- check for deck-flatness? less than 0.05mm?
- check for head-flatness? less than 0.05mm?

I've found that in 1/2 of the time, shops are careless with their machining and give me back a head that's not flat or milled at an angle. I always measure and double-check their work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, $450 for a head is what I find.I don't have but barely twice that in this car, and that includes new tires and insurance.:smile:

I put the straightedge on the block last time, it passed @ .002 or less, the head was at .007 between 3 and 4. Had it milled at the shop I've been doing business with forever. But didn't check their work, next time I will.
Timing at spec. Or it wouldn't pass Kalifornia smog.
Carb at spec or she wouldn't pass Kalifornia smog, presumably.
The advance on the distributor, I believe, is bad because only one line holds vac, maybe I should have replaced the distributor advance?? Would it make that much of a difference in timing at higher RPM? Just trying to learn here.
One caveat is when I put in the new radiator I didn't get the lower clamp on correctly (I should have put it on from under the car so I could see it) and it blew the hose off, overheating the engine. That was about 2-300 miles back. Now that I think of it, maybe that is what did her in.:frown:

·
Soylent Green sales
12,801 Posts
Well, $450 for a head is what I find.I don't have but barely twice that in this car, and that includes new tires and insurance.:smile:
Have you checked engnbldr.com ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would it make that much of a difference in timing at higher RPM this
? Just trying to learn here.One caveat is when I put in the new radiator I didn't get the lower clamp on correctly

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
If you only replaced head gasket, you did not fix it.. Aluminum heads warp and just re-surfacing it is not the repair. They need to be pressure tested and straightened before resurfacing. Find a good machine shop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The advance on the distributor, I believe, is bad because only one line holds vac, maybe I should have replaced the distributor advance best epilator 2019
?? Would it make that much of a difference in timing at higher RPM? Just trying to learn here.One caveat is when I put in the new radiator I didn't get the lower clamp on correctly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts