Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1990 Corolla GTS 4A-GE
1990 Corolla GTS
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke too soon, I was talking about how nice my car ran and everything. I was drivin down the freeway last night goin 70 and all of a sudden my shit stopped accelerating, completely just died and I was lucky enough to swerve towards and exit. But now when I try to start it it sort of still cranks over but it sounds really weird.

It just dont sound right. Two diff people told me most likely my timing belt broke. I work at Jiffy Lube, I KNOW all the fluids in my car are fine and I had plenty of gas.

Had to pay $178 to get it home with tow truck, any ideas? How hard is it to fix that in a 4AFE 1.6L engine?

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Remove the distributor cap and see if the rotor is turning. If no, the belt has broke.

Not to hard to replace the belt. Need to remove the crankshaft pulley and all the timing belt covers.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Id say timing belt too. Hopefuly nothing else was damaged when the belt went.

·
Rotary guy...
89 RX-7 Turbo
2,456 Posts
mine did the same thing, and has the exact same symptoms. it sounds wierd because only the pistons are cranking and not the cams. at first I thought mine was the starter. open up the oil filler cap and look at the cams while someone cranks it. if the accesory belts move and your cams don't it's deffintly the belt.

does anyone know if this is an interferance engine or not? (is it possible my pistons ate a valve or 2?) I have a 4-af and I assume it's the same.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Even if your belt didn't break it could still have jumped a notch or more... if you change the belt you will need to support the engine/raise the engine on the passenger side and separate the motor mount to replace the belt.

best of luck

·
1990 Corolla GTS 4A-GE
1990 Corolla GTS
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was wondering about that. But yeah its not an interference engine, apparently hondas are more likely to hurt their engine when the belt brakes then our badass toyotas are. So I need to undo the motor mount on passenger side and jack the engine up to make it easier to get to the bottom part of the engine huh?

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you find that the belt is bad you will have to undo the mount because the belt runs around the mount... also taking the passenger side tire off makes everything easier to access. I had a belt jump ONE notch and it wouldn't hit... ignition OK, fuel OK, Knowing it was the idiot behind the wheel (me) horsing around when it happened NOT OK LOL All in all there was a screw sitting in the bottom of the belt cover that moved just enough to split the belt.

·
1990 Corolla GTS 4A-GE
1990 Corolla GTS
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok well I finally just had time to take a look at the car. I took off the passenger skid plate, jacked up the engine underneath a little bit with a scissor jack, undid the bolt for the passenger motor mount, undid the the 3 screws and took off the small metal plate going to the motor mount, and got the screws out and took off the top timing cover.

Now from what I can see, the belt looks actually in great condition. No cracks anywhere, and it didnt break. So im not sure exactly what happened. Like you said it possibly could of jumped a notch. Not sure really. I was in 5th gear on the highway going like 60 or 70 and shifted down to 4th to pass this car, and a minute later it happened.... so its possible.

Im not sure where to go from now, any ideas?

·
1990 Corolla GTS 4A-GE
1990 Corolla GTS
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright well it must be my belt. I just tryed bumpin the engine to see if the cam would turn. It barely moved the first time. Then the next couple trys it didnt move. The belt is stripped at the bottom where I cant see, but looks good up top. So everything is working fine, just need to replace the belt like I thought lol. Just gotta figure out how to get the lower timing cover off and motor mount out of the way...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Once you have the mount separated lower the engine a little bit so you can get the belt out once you are ready to remove it... there are "tabs" sticking out of the bottom cover that have the screws holding it in place... you will have to remove the harmonic balancer as well. I am a bit short on time but if nobody has given you the timing mark locations by morning I will try to get them here for you... gotta go...

·
1990 Corolla GTS 4A-GE
1990 Corolla GTS
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My uncle got the timing markings and everything for me so its all good. But once I get time Im going to try and finish this damn thing. I got the replacement belt. Only $18 :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts