Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
First time Toyota owner, and very disappointed. I have a 2009 Carolla with the 2zr-fe motor mated to an automatic transmission and only 63000 miles.

Took car in trade to help a grad student friend in college. She had been driving the car at about 40 miles an hour when the motor hydro locked from what I thought was a bad head gasket. Only to find after taking the head off a bad block, but this wouldn’t be so unusual if the car had high miles.
My call to Toyota left me confused. I was looking to have them take a look at my car and give me an explanation beyond what seem obvious. Can anybody help me on this forum?
FA7F60EB-C828-40EF-A96E-724DC41C8932.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same exact car and everything. My cylinder 3 and 4 did the same thing just not as deep as the picture. looks like this was an ongoing issue from a failed headgasket.

·
Swiftly
52 Posts
to better understand the scope of the challenge for the 2zr-fe motors
@ Jreiman, @ZackSherman & @Mgeorge
=>> Can you please provide the start of your VIN/confirm build plant for the Corolla & the motor?

North America 1 - 5
1A-10United States
2A-20Canada
3A-3WMexico
3X-37Costa Rica
38-30not assigned
4A-40United States
5A-50United States
South America 8 - 9

TMMMS - Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi, Inc., located in Blue Springs. Vehicle manufacture and assembly – Corolla.
TMMWV - Toyota Motor Manufacturing West Virginia, Inc., is located in Buffalo. Engine manufacture 2GR-FE, 2ZR-FE and 1AR-FE.
Venezuela
TDV - Toyota de Venezuela, C.A, Cumana, Sucre State. This Plant located in the northeast of Venezuela, produces Toyota Corolla,
AHT - South Africa Toyota – Prospecton, Durban – Corolla

NUMMI - 1NXBU
TMCC - 2T1BU

JTD - Kanto Japan
JTD - Takaoka Japan

Thx
Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My vin, but it still is unbelievable that there is no recall or investigation into the cause. The engineer that helped me pull the head mentioned this is most likely a factory defect and cylinder wall degradation should not be common on this engine ( bad cast pour ) is what he said it might be and Toyota should have investigated this issue. My friend worked for Porsche and BMW for many years and said he never saw this issue before ( it was a first for him ).

Attachments

·
4,910 Posts
=>> Can you please provide the start of your VIN/confirm build plant for the Corolla & the motor?

North America 1 - 5
1A-10United States
2A-20Canada
3A-3WMexico
3X-37Costa Rica
38-30not assigned
4A-40United States
5A-50United States
South America 8 - 9

TMMMS - Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi, Inc., located in Blue Springs. Vehicle manufacture and assembly – Corolla.
TMMWV - Toyota Motor Manufacturing West Virginia, Inc., is located in Buffalo. Engine manufacture 2GR-FE, 2ZR-FE and 1AR-FE.
Venezuela
TDV - Toyota de Venezuela, C.A, Cumana, Sucre State. This Plant located in the northeast of Venezuela, produces Toyota Corolla,

NUMMI - 1NXBU
TMCC - 2T1BU

JTD - Kanto Japan
JTD - Takaoka Japan

Thx
Rob
TMMWV to my knowledge supplied engines to NUMMI. I can't speak for the other plants. I always thought Japan had their local supplier of engines for their global plants. According to the TPS, there is supposed to be more than just 1 source for engines.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
I haven't heard of this issue until now. I have 103k miles on my 09 Corolla S that was built at NUMMI in CA. Even with turbocharging my Corolla S it's been perfect so this surprises me.

·
Registered
7 Posts

North America 1 - 5
1A-10United States
2A-20Canada
3A-3WMexico
3X-37Costa Rica
38-30not assigned
4A-40United States
5A-50United States
South America 8 - 9

Venezuela

NUMMI - 1NXBU
TMCC - 2T1BU

JTD - Kanto Japan
JTD - Takaoka Japan

Thx
Rob

My vin is JTDBL40E99J023058. My failure was due to the head gasket bridging across cylinder 3-4 causing the block to get a nasty pit in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My vin is JTDBL40E99J023058. My failure was due to the head gasket bridging across cylinder 3-4 causing the block to get a nasty pit in it.
Head gasket would never cause the kind of damage I have on this block. Hi pressure water can make pits in a casting, but not cut that much material.
I just don’t have the funds right now to get a short block..... so the car just sits! This only my second owned Toyota and the second one to have engine problems. I must be jinxed with Toyota products. It’s to bad I can’t get anybody from Toyota to help!

·
10th Gen Addict
3,264 Posts
My 2011 Corolla (Canadian built) has 250k kms on it and the engine runs perfectly fine with no issues aside from a very slow leak in the oil pan gasket. It doesn't even burn any oil at this high of mileage. I don't think I've run across many others that have had headgasket issues either as the ZR engines are known to be pretty reliable. This may just be a random occurrence or due to poor maintenance/abuse from the previous owner. It's a tough situation but there is not much that can be done other than to swap a new shortblock in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 2011 Corolla (Canadian built) has 250k kms on it and the engine runs perfectly fine with no issues aside from a very slow leak in the oil pan gasket. It doesn't even burn any oil at this high of mileage. I don't think I've run across many others that have had headgasket issues either as the ZR engines are known to be pretty reliable. This may just be a random occurrence or due to poor maintenance/abuse from the previous owner. It's a tough situation but there is not much that can be done other than to swap a new shortblock in.
I would like to agree with you, but the common factor here is the head gasket and block issues are coming from the cars out of Japan. As far as poor maintenance..... Toyota has all the service records from this car ( remember the car only has 63000 miles on it).
I don’t think I’ll ever get another Toyota
Very disappointed in this brand!

·
10th Gen Addict
3,264 Posts
I would like to agree with you, but the common factor here is the head gasket and block issues are coming from the cars out of Japan. As far as poor maintenance..... Toyota has all the service records from this car ( remember the car only has 63000 miles on it).
I don’t think I’ll ever get another Toyota
Very disappointed in this brand!
Another thing to keep in mind is that your car was manufactured on March, 2008 which means it was on of the first 10th gens made. Being such an early car (and the possibility of it being a first year defect car) could be another factor to your engine problems and since it has pretty low mileage for being a MY2009 car, the problem was probably bound to happen.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm not sure lack of maintenance would cause the head gasket to fail between cylinders where it has nothing to do with oil or coolant. The only cause I can think of that would be totally the fault of the user would be overheating, which never happened to my corolla, per the original owner, my father in law.
Even driving the car hard shouldn't cause a head gasket to blow unless it is a weak point from the beginning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
Mgeorge
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing