Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
'19 Corolla HB
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Has anyone noticed their blower fan making a high pitched noise when turned up? My car has this issue and it's driving me crazy to the point where I get a headache when I turn the fan higher than the 2nd speed (with or without AC). The sound is coming from under the glove box around where the blower is.

I have tried unplugging the blower and the sound isn't there which leads me to the conclusion that it's either the motor or the speed controller.

I took it to the dealer today and they let me try the blower in a brand new corolla hatchback and the noise was there too.

People have also posted carcomplaints.com but no solution have been found yet. (https://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Corolla_Hatchback/2019/AC_heater/blower_noise.shtml

I'm wondering if other people here are having the same issue.

Thanks!

Here is a video of the sound

·
Registered
'19 XSE CVT
32 Posts
This! So much this!

It is very high pitched. Super annoying when music isn't playing.

Has to be some sort of hole whisling. The frequency is much higher than any fan can spin.

·
Registered
'19 Corolla HB
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This! So much this!

It is very high pitched. Super annoying when music isn't playing.

Has to be some sort of hole whisling. The frequency is much higher than any fan can spin.
I contacted Toyota and they refused to do anything about it since they claimed it was the 'characteristic of the car' because the dealer showed me a like model with the same issue. I purchased a blower fan from eBay for ~$80. The donor car was a Lexus RX450h so we'll see if it has the same issue or not. I'll keep you posted when it comes in tomorrow.
This is the part for the blower:

Regarding the frequency, it might not even be the fan but the motor that's making that noise. It sounds more like an electrical whine than a whistle.

·
Registered
'19 Corolla HB
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the blower fan came and I replaced it. There is still a high pitched noise but a different frequency. The sound is clearly coming from the speed controller. I'm going to try another one.

·
UNDER8ED
Corolla Hatch XSE
143 Posts
So the blower fan came and I replaced it. There is still a high pitched noise but a different frequency. The sound is clearly coming from the speed controller. I'm going to try another one.
I had this exact same issue with my 2019 Corolla Hatch XSE. Took it to the dealer, they are very aware of the issue as it is well documented, many blowers are on backorder. The first time they replaced the blower, issue persisted. The second time it’s more improved, but still there on fan level 3 or higher. Less noticeable though. I keep telling them there’s no way it’s the blower, but they are not very bright over there.. At some point I’ll try to deal with them again when I have more free time. Everything was covered under warranty for free. My friend’s 2019 Corolla Hatch SE does NOT have this problem. Hope you get it fixed!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I haven't noticed anything yet on my Hatch. My problem with AC on toyotas is you cannot isolate the fan to one set of vents. It's like the dampener just doesn't actuate correctly. Put it to blow on feet and yet get air out of the dash vents, can't stop it. Buth my hatch and my tundra do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I just bought a 2019 Hatchback XSE MT last month. Having the same issue thinking of calling the dealer tomorrow. Does anyone here have any updates or found a solution to the problem?

·
Registered
'19 Corolla HB
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, I just bought a 2019 Hatchback XSE MT last month. Having the same issue thinking of calling the dealer tomorrow. Does anyone here have any updates or found a solution to the problem?
I tried something that might help with the noise. I wrapped 5 layers of aluminum foil around the blower fan right under the glove box. I'm guessing that reduces the amount of electrical noise.
There's a coil that's inside the fan controller that I think is causing that sound and i'm planning on wrapping it electrical tape or put some hot glue on it because that is a common fix for power supply coil whine in computers.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Put the a/c and fan on the highest setting and mine is perfectly quiet, very odd

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just posted about this yesterday, I have a hatchback 2019 XSE about 600miles on it, the noise is driving me CRAZY. I got a frequency tester and the frequency it is picking up is 13,000hz (so just go on youtube and see what 13,000hz sounds like, its almost a faint whine sound). When I brought it to the dealership they acted like they couldn't hear it (a guy even took off my glove box to check the cabin air filter and in the process he put scratches on my glove box with his finger nails!). The same sound was in the other model hatchback they showed me. This is unacceptable. Sadly I have to just turn on music or run the fan speed low to avoid the noise. This is so frustrating to deal with, especially with a new car.. Going to have the car officially serviced and they are going to spend 2 hours with it. Then they will send in the regional technician.. So annoyed. Toyota Coporate is aware of my situation.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I need to correct what I mentioned that no whining when the A/C turned on. Now I noticed that there are whining voice (not high frequency) when my engine are running no matter when the A/C / fan i on or off.

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
10,992 Posts
Try using some high density foam or even sound deadening to quite down those higher frequencies. Must be bouncing off the firewall very frequently.

Most people can't hear higher frequencies unless they are trained to hear those. These days, a frequency monitor works.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try using some high density foam or even sound deadening to quite down those higher frequencies. Must be bouncing off the firewall very frequently.

Most people can't hear higher frequencies unless they are trained to hear those. These days, a frequency monitor works.
This is good advice, where do you think I can get these supplies after the dealership comes back at me and says "there is nothing wrong." You think I can find some things on amazon? I may be able to cover up the components where the whine is coming from. Idk.

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
10,992 Posts
The HD foam is available from craft stores or look on Amazon.

People on YouTube have resorted to alternative materials since dynamat is pricey. The videos I have watched go to home Depot and IIRC it comes in sheets or even rolls in some cases.

Is the blower motor behind the glove box? Do you see a padded foam cover on the firewall? My 9th gen Corolla has this pad on the firewall. Sounds like they are using thinner material?

I'd suggest looking at the housing of the blower motor to see if it can be taken apart and use the sound deadening on the inside wall where the blower rotates. It's worth a shot.

Is the AC compressor in front of the firewall or behind the bumper?

·
Registered
30 Posts
The HD foam is available from craft stores or look on Amazon.

People on YouTube have resorted to alternative materials since dynamat is pricey. The videos I have watched go to home Depot and IIRC it comes in sheets or even rolls in some cases.

Is the blower motor behind the glove box? Do you see a padded foam cover on the firewall? My 9th gen Corolla has this pad on the firewall. Sounds like they are using thinner material?

I'd suggest looking at the housing of the blower motor to see if it can be taken apart and use the sound deadening on the inside wall where the blower rotates. It's worth a shot.

Is the AC compressor in front of the firewall or behind the bumper?
you're asking questions I can not answer. I can provide screen shots when its lighter outside. But its right near the cabin air filter. Some kinda round metal component. I want to say the service guy said it was the blower motor. What ever it is, its very close to the cabin air filter and there is no foam rapping it or anything like that. I was wondering since the 2020 models are coming out, if they would just replace my blower motor with a 2020 edition, but watch the 2020 HBs have the same whine problem. Its crazy how loud this whine is. If they don't fix it, I'm gonna be adding a lot of padding to the whole area to try to deaden the whine. I need to find heat resistant material, not sure how hot it gets in that area (probably not to hot since its right next to the cabin air filter).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Keep this thread posted. I am interested in seeing images of both the blower motor and the location of the AC compressor. Is yours the 1.8 liter or the 2.0 liter?
2.0 Liter, I can show images of where the whine is, if its the blower motor, I am not sure, but I'll show you where the frequency recorder is picking up the whine from (13,000hz recorded).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Put the a/c and fan on the highest setting and mine is perfectly quiet, very odd
Yes when at 6 bars full speed the whine goes away, but around 4 to 5 bars the whine is there, with the 5th bar being the loudest. At bar 3 the whine is very very faint and bar 1-2 there is no whine heard.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts