Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The low speed on the fan switch quit (I know it's the resistor) and this took out the AC (which takes its signal from the resistor).

This part is obsolete. Local Toyota dealer checked the Japan data base and there is zero inventory worldwide. and even 4 Seasons don't make a replacement.

Suggestions what my next step should be?

And where is this resistor? Mounted in a hole in the side of the blower housing? Or on the back of the speed switch?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
14,752 Posts
you should be able to rig one up from just about any vehicle, earlier japanese cars would work fine. iirc some mid 90's nissans have some beefy blower resistors. it just needs to be inside the flow of air for cooling. just need to know what wire does what and then modify accordingly.

odds are as well that the blower motor is pulling too many amps through the resistor on lower speeds, it should be replaced also.

·
Registered
421 Posts
....And where is this resistor? Mounted in a hole in the side of the blower housing? Or on the back of the speed switch?

Thanks,
Dave
Typically near the blower motor, hidden inside a cavity and held in by a screw or two. It'll have a plug with wires going into it. It'll be small, about 2" x 3"

That's where it is in my 88 Celica, yours should be similar but I'm not 100% sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts