Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
09 Camry SE V6
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well my 97 camry 2.2 on a really cold day maybe like 25-356 degrees in the morning when i remote start it i can see a few puffs of light light blue smoke? what should i do about this? does this mean i am consistently burning oil? please help thanks!

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
theres was a bunch of threads on this.. search..
i dont know (i have a gen 3) but you might be able to get in on that oil statement thing for a free engine or something

i wish i had the blue smoke thing.. love to have a new engine

·
Toyota Collector
12,024 Posts
Have you taken off the valve cover to see if your engine is sludging up?

Often times an engine will do that when the valve seals are getting old/worn. Does your cars oil level go down at all between oil changes?

·
Registered
09 Camry SE V6
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea it goes down but not to much...plus every engine is supposed to use some oil to help manuver moving parts...im not sure...i have seafoamed through the brake booster line before and cleaned out the iac and throttle body...any ideas?

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
it's too bad your car is out of the extended warranty coverage that toyota offered for sludging engines. Sounds like you may have sludge issues. You're engine isnt really supposed to use up any oil.

at any rate this is not a good sign and you should take it into a shop. You could do like 71corolla suggests and take off the valve cover. If you've got sludge and its not too serious, toyota or some other shops could help you clean it out and replace what parts maybe necessary.

·
Alltrack Wannabe
639 Posts
It's most likely your valve seals.

Maybe from sludge, maybe not.

IMO, not really a huge issue at the moment, unless it really bothers you.

Unless your oil level visibly drops between changes.
Then something is wrong.

·
Toyota Camry Vienta CSi
Toyota Camry Vienta
188 Posts
Lol my car has had smoke on start up for a year now... also has some minor leaks around the place, loses around 500ml per 5000km so Im not fussed... will only really be concerned when it start loses enough to become a hasle adding extra oil. Im assuming its the valve seals in my case... being a 14 year old car which supposedly only has 90,000miles (So maybe they hardened up because the car wasnt used for periods). Either way, looking on the bright side... it means my engine gets alittle fresh oil at 2500km intervals to keep it topped up :ugh3:

Although smoke with a 97... thats still a baby compared to some other cams, might be something different

·
Registered
75 Posts
In my experience, blue smoke on start up is oil that has leaked past your valve stem seals and probably is not a result of sludge or other issues. Just make sure that you check your oil more frequently, perhaps weekly, and note its level. It is a whole lot cheaper to add a quart or two of oil per month (if it ever gets that bad) than to rebuild your head.

Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts