Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my 2003 Camry in the morning after sitting all night and a puff of blue smoke came out. What could this be related too? Its the 4 cyl. And regular maintenance has been done. 110,000miles.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Another blue smoke thread.........here we go again and again..........

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Here we go again. Your valves have neat little seals that prevent oil from draining down the stem into the port. As an engine ages these things begin to wear out. At 110,000 miles it is no surprise that your seals are leaking. No huge deal. Pay attention to the amount of oil consumed. You will rarely notice smoke when the engine is running and you might not need to add oil between changes. We aren't talking about a lot of oil here. It just takes some time for it to leak down past the seals. This is very normal for a car with higher mileage.

·
Registered
453 Posts
try using some of that high milage engine oil. Its supposed to help lube and swell the seals up and maybe provide better sealing. Ive never used that type of oil but it might be worth a shot.

·
Baby's got a new skirt
2007 Camry LE
2,333 Posts
try using some of that high milage engine oil. Its supposed to help lube and swell the seals up and maybe provide better sealing. Ive never used that type of oil but it might be worth a shot.
that is usually a temp fix. (like covering it up with a band-aid.)

i wouldnt suggest it if you plan on keeping your car...just fix the problem with new seals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that is usually a temp fix. (like covering it up with a band-aid.)

i wouldnt suggest it if you plan on keeping your car...just fix the problem with new seals.

If the smoke does not stop Ill just up new seals in it. Thanks All!!

·
Premium Member
6,508 Posts
blue smoke probably won't stop on your car. A handful of Gen5 owners had this problem and it was fixed by new seals. Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
New seals are not fun to do without the right tools. I let a few valve springs fly and i dropped a valve once into a engine. Good luck with that! Hey, put some 20W50 into it and sell it asap! Its a Camry, it will sell!

·
vvti
388 Posts
Good luck with that! Hey, put some 20W50 into it and sell it asap! Its a Camry, it will sell!
what if you bought a used car and has a slash on your brake lines and the previous owner just tape it off with any kind of tape????? and you got to an accident and see the previous owner did that to your vehicle. wouldn't you get mad on that owner? i hope it won't happen to you!!!
:brick:

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
New seals are not fun to do without the right tools. I let a few valve springs fly and i dropped a valve once into a engine. Good luck with that! Hey, put some 20W50 into it and sell it asap! Its a Camry, it will sell!
"What goes around, comes around."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Really, brake lines, I doubt it, because that would be obvious (Safety would have caught this). Well, I didn't say don't tell the guy that it burns abit of oil, but at least you don't want your customer to see blue smoke. Hes going to run! If the buyer's smart, he'll get it checked out by a mechanic. And I am bitter because once a dealer sold me a car with a cracked block knowingly, the deal just put a new headgasket on it and it was good to blow on me!

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
Really, brake lines, I doubt it, because that would be obvious (Safety would have caught this). Well, I didn't say don't tell the guy that it burns abit of oil, but at least you don't want your customer to see blue smoke. Hes going to run! If the buyer's smart, he'll get it checked out by a mechanic. And I am bitter because once a dealer sold me a car with a cracked block knowingly, the deal just put a new headgasket on it and it was good to blow on me!

Sounds like you have issues. So this happened to you and now you wish it on someone else. What's wrong with you. Shouldn't it be the other way around. So if someone robbed your house, you would wish someone else gets robbed too.

regarding the brakelines, you are one sick jerk, so you are worried that you would get caught and it would be too obvious rather than worrying about putting someone's life at risk. Listen to yourself. "It would be too obvious". You should say, that would be too dangerous and put someone's life in danger. Is that what you really wanted to say jerk.

Get over it, it's not like it was so traumatic that now you have to get someone else back. Channel your negative energy to something positive and help someone. don't be a jerk.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Aside from the drama, to the OP:

It's not worth repair. The engine will not blow up, but you will need to top up the oil regularly. Check every week how much oil you're losing (by noting how much you're filling it) and check back in. If it's very little, no problems, the engine will hold.

My first car was a civic, and on its original motor, I was going through 1/2 a litre a week for about 2 years. Motor was awesome until I blew the tranny one night trying to get it into 3rd a little too fast, didn't go so I smacked it in and that was the end of the Si. New motor/tranny after that then wrote off the car, that really fixed the problem, hahahaha.
Anyways, only problem was passing emissions tests, had to "work around that", otherwise, just keep a few quarts in your trunk, keep on it, and save your money until you consider a trade in.

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
Aside from the drama, to the OP:

It's not worth repair. The engine will not blow up, but you will need to top up the oil regularly. Check every week how much oil you're losing (by noting how much you're filling it) and check back in. If it's very little, no problems, the engine will hold.

My first car was a civic, and on its original motor, I was going through 1/2 a litre a week for about 2 years. Motor was awesome until I blew the tranny one night trying to get it into 3rd a little too fast, didn't go so I smacked it in and that was the end of the Si. New motor/tranny after that then wrote off the car, that really fixed the problem, hahahaha.
Anyways, only problem was passing emissions tests, had to "work around that", otherwise, just keep a few quarts in your trunk, keep on it, and save your money until you consider a trade in.
Find out how much it is going to cost. If you have maintained your car since day one, I think it is worth repairing. If you keep running the car with blue smoke, eventually it will kill your catalytic converter, which will be more big bucks. Also, it may cause more damage to your engine as well, etc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts