Toyota Nation Forum banner

Blue Smoke/Sparkplug boots

1060 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Lumberg
Today when I started my car that was sitting for a day or so, There was a puff of blue smoke from the Exhaust.
I know that the blue smoke is from burning oil and leaking gasket. This was the first time it has happened in my car. My car also only had less than 1/4 of a tank of gas, normally it is always over half, could this have caused anything.

Secondly when I poped the hood to look and see if every thing was ok I noticed that the spark plug boots that cover the soark plug holes were up a little bit in the back. When I lifted the boots on cylinder 1 and 2 there were very small metal looking shavings (like little pellets) that were black and looked burnt.

Now after that all said do you think the two things are related and what do you think I can do to have the problem fixed.

My Camry is a 1996 DX Two Door, with the I4 and it has 71,000 miles on it. Also it was about exactly 3,000 miles after a oil change.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Mike
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
pull ur plugs and take a look at them....i would take the car to a mechanic and have them perform a leak down and compression test....sounds like ur motor is going.......and u need to get it fixed before it does more damage....
the blue smoke is probably pretty minor, from valve seals leaking. you might want to try a high mileage engine oil or something. I wouldn't worry until it gets worse.

definitely pull the plugs. I don't know what you mean by little melted pellets of metal.
I wish I had a digital camera, but right under the spark plug boot there are what look like very small metal shavings they are about 1-2mm in lenght and look black and oily thanks again for your comments.

MRQturbo: What do you mean by you think my motor is going, what do you think is about to go on it.

Remember my engine only has 71,000 miles on it. Can the valve seals go that quickly?
Cello8619 said:
Remember my engine only has 71,000 miles on it. Can the valve seals go that quickly?
Yes.

My 88 Camry started doing it around 80,000 miles. Never bothered to fix it though.

The valve seals are rubber, so they dry up, crack, etc.. when they get old.

Since their rubber they contract when cold and expand when hot. Thats why you get the puff of blue smoke on cold startups.
Cello8619 said:
I noticed that the spark plug boots that cover the soark plug holes were up a little bit in the back.

You really need to describe this better, this makes no sense to me since you have an I4, I thought you maybe had a V6 from this comment.
Cello8619 said:

When I lifted the boots on cylinder 1 and 2 there were very small metal looking shavings (like little pellets) that were black and looked burnt.
Mike
Again, mystifying.

As far as the blue smoke, the fact that it only happened after the car sat for 2 days, tells me the oil seepage into the cumbustion chamber is very minor and most likely occurs when the car is sitting, which indicates valve seals. I don't think your engine is "going." You should go to a mechanic anyways, one you trust, but unless you take a picture I don't think anyone is going to know what you mean with the spark plug boots.
no doubt its the valve seals according to the work statement the engine that was in my car haed a valve leak and the dealer "fixed" it. when i swaped motors i notice this one doesn't smoke at all. get a compression tester and check it you can see if your ring are worn or if your valves are not sealing properly by testing the comp. on each cylinder ( if the compression is less than 150psi than you have a problem)then do it again but add teaspoon of oil before you do it.if the psi doesn't rise than your valves are bad if it does than you cylinders are worn.

use engine restore i use it every oilchange and my current cylinder compression is 217-216psi on all 6 cylinders.:thumbup:
Thanks for your replies. Now what I meant with the spark plug boots is that If you pull the spark plug wires off of the spark plug you will notice a small boot in the shape of a square that proects the engine from things falling into it. After alittle bit more inspection I have relized that it is mostly dirt/pollen that was there and then with the heat of the engine they ended up burning. Sorry if you didn't under stand what I ment.

I also can't get any blue smoke again, It just did it that one time. And today the engine was cold again and the exhaust was fine. I guess I'll just have to wait till winter to see if the blue smoke will come back.

Thanks again
mike
if you really want blue smoke again( cause you sound like you really want it) than take out the plugs and add a teaspoon of oil any way:thumbup:
Sounds like you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure those boots are on tight and the squares fully cover the tubes in the valve cover, and drive it!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.