Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2020 4Runner Nightshade. The Bluetooth will not stay connected to the phone during calls- just like everyone else who have posted the same issue all over the internet. After 3 repair attempts, the dealership determined it is a defective head unit and requested a replacement. Toyota denied it. I finally filed for arbitration, which got their attention. They scheduled a Toyota technician to look at it. After seeing the issue in person, he determined the problem is "my phone" since it didn't happen with his phone. Nice try, Toyota. We are recording the issue happening with several other phones to share during the arbitration hearing. Toyota doesn't want to admit this is therein problem because they know how many people have this problem and they would have a HUGE recall on the entune systems impacting many vehicles. Will update after the hearing. If it goes my way, then you all can use my experience to fight your battle, too. If not, it might be time to look into class action lawsuit!

·
Registered
24 Posts
But you know what? Sometimes the problem can be with the phone. Integrations require two things to work properly. How can you be certain it’s not your phone?

Short story: I had an old iPhone 6S when I bought my 2020 Avalon, and the local media sounded like absolute garbage through CarPlay. I wanted to blame Toyota and I was genuinely disappointed. I didn’t bother to raise a case with them.

But later I upgraded to an IPhone 12, and the same exact media I migrated over from my old phone sounded perfect.

Clearly, in my case, the problem was with my phone, even though I had the current iOS installed and I couldn’t think of a valid reason why it wasn’t just Toyota’s fault. But it wasn’t.

·
Premium Member
2019 Avalon Limited, Advanced Safety Package, BlackVue DR-750 Dash Cam, Ceramic Pro Coating, XPel
721 Posts
I have a new 2020 4Runner Nightshade. The Bluetooth will not stay connected to the phone during calls- just like everyone else who have posted the same issue all over the internet. After 3 repair attempts, the dealership determined it is a defective head unit and requested a replacement. Toyota denied it. I finally filed for arbitration, which got their attention. They scheduled a Toyota technician to look at it. After seeing the issue in person, he determined the problem is "my phone" since it didn't happen with his phone. Nice try, Toyota. We are recording the issue happening with several other phones to share during the arbitration hearing. Toyota doesn't want to admit this is therein problem because they know how many people have this problem and they would have a HUGE recall on the entune systems impacting many vehicles. Will update after the hearing. If it goes my way, then you all can use my experience to fight your battle, too. If not, it might be time to look into class action lawsuit!
You never mention what phone(s) you have tried that is having the issue with Blue Tooth staying connected.

Toyota lists on their web site which phones are compatible.

Are the ones you tried on the list?

Ours stay connected perfectly, without fail.

We're using Google Pixel 3A+ and Pixel 3A.

Reactions: SDCC5

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
13,584 Posts
You never mention what phone(s) you have tried that is having the issue with Blue Tooth staying connected.

Toyota lists on their web site which phones are compatible.

Are the ones you tried on the list?

Ours stay connected perfectly, without fail.

We're using Google Pixel 3A+ and Pixel 3A.
It's surprising how many times it is an end user issue than a device issue. Could be anything, could be nothing, could be a defect. Let's see what happens and if people who get new head units get creaks too.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hope you can work it out, Toyota can be stubborn sometimes. I had a 2003 4Runner that had the driver's seat move back and forth while driving, same experience as yourself, multiple attempts at the dealer, regional rep looked at it, said it wasn't a problem. Couldn't live with it so I sold it, one year later, they came out with a tsb that described exactly the issue I had.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It's surprising how many times it is an end user issue than a device issue. Could be anything, could be nothing, could be a defect. Let's see what happens and if people who get new head units get creaks too.
Had trouble with my lg phone dropping out. Went with a iPhone no troubles

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But you know what? Sometimes the problem can be with the phone. Integrations require two things to work properly. How can you be certain it’s not your phone?

Short story: I had an old iPhone 6S when I bought my 2020 Avalon, and the local media sounded like absolute garbage through CarPlay. I wanted to blame Toyota and I was genuinely disappointed. I didn’t bother to raise a case with them.

But later I upgraded to an IPhone 12, and the same exact media I migrated over from my old phone sounded perfect.

Clearly, in my case, the problem was with my phone, even though I had the current iOS installed and I couldn’t think of a valid reason why it wasn’t just Toyota’s fault. But it wasn’t.
We have been able to replicate the issue with no less than 3 different phones AND those same phones work without an issue in our other Toyota vehicle. So no, not the phone. And if you look at the number of people who are having this issue, it happens with a wide range of phones....

·
Premium Member
2019 Avalon Limited, Advanced Safety Package, BlackVue DR-750 Dash Cam, Ceramic Pro Coating, XPel
721 Posts
Reactions: SDCC5

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have created a survey to gather uniform data on this issue at SurveyMonkey. It does not ask for any personal information other than your TN Forum Username (so that if further info is needed, we can contact you). Please fill it out ASAP. I am gathering this to present to lawyers who are already looking into the Bluetooth echo problem:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts