Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

My first post :)

I'm having a problem where this one time my friend connected to the Entune system and since then I have not been able to get anything connected. Not even my friend's own smartphone.

When I go to the settings page, Phone and Bluetooth are grayed out.

What I would LIKE to do is update the firmware on my unit. Currently I'm at 010121. Does anyone know how to update the firmware on my own? The dealer is asking for $169.99 sooo I do not want to do that.

Edit: See post #11 for what the issue was.

·
Inveterate Tinkerer
2014 Avalon Limited
1,085 Posts
Hey Mithrazor, welcome to the forum! A quick suggestion. Visit your Control Panel and add a signature line showing us what year/model your Avalon is. It's sometimes easier to help that way.

To your issue. It sounds like the car can't find whatever phone it was paired with so has it grayed out. I'd suggest you unlink everything in Bluetooth settings and start over.

Your system 'should' update (assuming there's one available) via Entune anytime the app is on in your phone and the car is started. You'll see a pop-up telling you there's an update and asking if you want to do it now? If you answer yes, you'll be warned against turning the car off during the update. It only takes a couple of minutes.

Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying Gadgetjq.

The problem is I can't access the Bluetooth settings because it's grayed out. The Phone and Bluetooth tiles are grayed out.

And I can't use the Entune app because I have a mid-grade package. I need the high end package to use the Entune app.

I'm pretty tech savvy so I've done what I could. I was looking for the update online so I could install it myself. Hoping I can still do that.

If not, can someone at least let me know how to reset the infotainment? (I've tried keeping the volume knob pressed for 7 seconds no luck).

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hi All,

My first post :)

I'm having a problem where this one time my friend connected to the Entune system and since then I have not been able to get anything connected. Not even my friend's own smartphone.

When I go to the settings page, Phone and Bluetooth are grayed out.

What I would LIKE to do is update the firmware on my unit. Currently I'm at 010121. Does anyone know how to update the firmware on my own? The dealer is asking for $169.99 sooo I do not want to do that.
Try the suggestions in this video, even though it uses a Corolla as an example.

Robert N.

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Ltd
1,299 Posts
My blue tooth failed and I took it to the dealer. They upgraded the firmware under warranty to fix it.

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Ltd
1,299 Posts
I updated the firmware on my Camry a few years back. Someone posted a link to the files. You put all the files on a USB stick and when the car booted up it installed.

Maybe someone who knows where to get the latest update for the XLE can chime in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I updated the firmware on my Camry a few years back. Someone posted a link to the files. You put all the files on a USB stick and when the car booted up it installed.

Maybe someone who knows where to get the latest update for the XLE can chime in.
I would love to do this.

If someone can point me in the right direction. I'm willing to pay $55 dollars to buy the 2 day TIS subscription if need be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Diagnosed the issue!

One more thought. Try disconnecting the battery (negative terminal only) for awhile. Give it 15 minutes or longer then see if your system returns to normal. With any luck, and if settings aren't saved in system memory, you'll be back to whatever the factory default settings are. It's worth a (free) shot.

Cheers
Hey so I spoke with a representative with the Entune support number. And she mentioned if there are other always on Bluetooth devices they might interfere. I always wear a Fitbit so I left it at home and went to the car to see if that was causing the issue. And yep, sure was.

The Bluetooth and Phone buttons were available in the Settings menu and I deleted every profile and re-paired my smartphone.

I'll test out again by bringing my Fitbit to the car and see if the issue still exists. But the current workaround is don't bring my Fitbit in the car lol

Thanks for your guys help!

(I'm still pissed at the dealership asking for $170 dollars for updating the software, not the Grace database.)

Edit: I'm safe to bring my Fitbit to the car also. Not sure how all this happened but glad it fixed the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This fixed it for me. I found this on another site:

" I read about turning ignition to on but not starting engine and letting the radio power on then holding in the "app" button at the same time turning lights on then off 3 times (I thought someone was jerking my chain) brought up a diagnostic screen. In the bottom left corner toggle button "INT" it will say something about personalize data yes or no, I pressed yes and exited out by holding in the power button and then blue-tooth was working again. "

This is a genuine fix!

·
Registered
2014 Avalon XLE Premium (traded in)
245 Posts
This fixed it for me. I found this on another site:

" I read about turning ignition to on but not starting engine and letting the radio power on then holding in the "app" button at the same time turning lights on then off 3 times (I thought someone was jerking my chain) brought up a diagnostic screen. In the bottom left corner toggle button "INT" it will say something about personalize data yes or no, I pressed yes and exited out by holding in the power button and then blue-tooth was working again. "

This is a genuine fix!
I might have to try this. BT is flaking out in my 2014. Phone says it's connected, head unit says it's not. When I go into BT setup in Entune it says Bluetooth Off.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It fixed mine as well. Very strange...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thought mine was fixed. It wasn't.

But now, it is.

I discovered that the Samsung phones have a compatibility issue involving messaging. Denying permission to access messages on the phone from the car fixes the issue.

Basically, it would work fine until a text message came though. Then, it would disconnect and turn off BT in the head unit.

https://www.westherr.com/blog/2017/july/20/correcting-a-toyota-bluetooth-quirk.htm

·
PJSMITH
TAH LTD Tech
1,494 Posts
I had a similar problem long ago and have the Samsung S7.

I had to go into the infotainment and reset to new user. It resets everything to zero.
I also had to remove the car from the phone's bluetooth link.

Started like the new owner and it worked. Weird but it took 24 hours to work.
I saw on a warning when loading that there were too many contacts. had to reduce,

I had to manually remove a lot of contacts. Mostly from the damn google duplication of same contact and it now works with email, text and contacts.

All's well now, but you see i have a 14 limited.

·
Official PITA
Solara 'Vert & ES350
530 Posts
I've had problems with the JBL radio/nav system in my 2014 Camry.
If all else fails, pull the fuse for the radio for a few hours/over night.

You need to keep it disconnected long enough that all the capacitors discharge. USUALLY, the radio will re-boot and start from zero.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had a similar problem long ago and have the Samsung S7.
I have the S7 Edge.

I did all the reset stuff, cleared car from the phone and vice versa. The problem persisted.

I tested it thoroughly tonight and cannot get it to fail so long as I have permission denied for message access.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found the fix, it is quite simple. Make sure you do this step by step.
1) Turn off the car
2) Turn key to activate the battery, but don't start the car
3) Press and hold "Set Up" on your stereo WHILE turning on and off your headlights 3x
4) When the diagnostic screen pops up,on the bottom left corner, press and hold "INT"
5) When the message about data pops up, hit "YES"
6) Press and hold the "Set Up" button to exit diagnostic
7) Turn off and turn on your car completely.
Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found the fix, it is quite simple. Make sure you do this step by step.
1) Turn off the car
2) Turn key to activate the battery, but don't start the car
3) Press and hold "Set Up" on your stereo WHILE turning on and off your headlights 3x
4) When the diagnostic screen pops up,on the bottom left corner, press and hold "INT"
5) When the message about data pops up, hit "YES"
6) Press and hold the "Set Up" button to exit diagnostic
7) Turn off and turn on your car completely.
Cheers

1 - 20 of 28 Posts