Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Alright here I go. I own a 1983 e30. The engine is on its way out, the cylinders were down on pressure and a couple of other little things. the car is currently off the road. I believe the car to be straight. There is no rust, the owner before me was an enthusiast so the car is in excellent condition.

Instead of getting a new car I thought I would try and fix the one I have. And make a machine out of it at the same time. It was suggested that I put a SR20 in it. I have been looking at getting a sr20 front cut. But i thought if i could why not try a RB20 or even better a RB25.... then it was sugested that i try a 1jz. so i thought id ask you guys what you thought, or if any one had seen a similar transplant in an old school bimmer.

I have done a bit of research and have found that its not that hard to do, (with the sr20 det anyway) gearbox lines up with the hole and everything, the main problem is that the exhaust and fuel lines are on the wrong side, which you cant do anything about. Now obviosly there would be more involved with the 6cyl conversion, not sure much about the toyota engine, or how it would fit??

Just wondering if anyone has done or seen done a similar engine swap, and any other problems ect. or a contact to someone who has, (australia)

All suggestions/ help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

*i know nobody really takes newbies seriously, but i am fully serious about this and genuinly need some advice/help
thanks again

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is a few done here in aust. mostly sr20 and a few rb20s. i think there was a 13b rotor engine swap in an old bimmer too. he he.
no toyota engines that ive heard of though, thats what i am thinking of doing

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
M3 engine ;)

·
searchin'
389 Posts
maggotdecay said:
um, wait, are you suggesting a japanese to german swap??? weird, but I'd like to see how it turns out. and no, i have never heard of that.
;) 7MGTE

·
Car Breaker
689 Posts
maggotdecay said:
um, wait, are you suggesting a japanese to german swap??? weird, but I'd like to see how it turns out. and no, i have never heard of that.
You always got that american v8 to Mr2 swap..

Some people just do stuff for the hell of it because they have that much money..

I've seen an sr20det in a miata, etc

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the response
i thought about a e30 m3 engine (4 cyl 200 + bhp, too pricy and very high maintenance) or e36 engine or something like that, but i thought, nissan and toyota engines are easy to mod and get extra power, and plus i wanted something differant.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
finch said:
then it was sugested that i try a 1jz.
I don't suggest it, as even Cressida owners have a damn tough time swapping a 1JZ in, even though JDM versions of the same car came with it.

Relative to the SR20, there's just not enough of the support you'll need to get a 1JZ into a BMW. Of course, if your mechanical and fabrication skills are really good, you may want to tough it out and do it on your own.

·
TN Ass Man
95 Camry SE 2-door
1,179 Posts
the mkIII supra is one of the cars with the 7mgte, maybe the cressida too i think they had the 7mge ?

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
ae86polishman said:
swap it for a 944 turbo those things got mad power........wat car is the 7mgte from???

The 7M-GTE would be from a MA70 (MKIII) Supra.

and 944 turbo... as in from Porshe? I can tell you now how so not feasible that swap will be... front engined or not.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
qoute:and 944 turbo... as in from Porshe? I can tell you now how so not feasible that swap will be... front engined or not

my buddy did it to a older m3 do its possible ......

but didnt the older supras have a 1jz........wat year did they have a 7mgte
??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Re: Re: BMW engine conversion

repinS said:
Relative to the SR20, there's just not enough of the support you'll need to get a 1JZ into a BMW. Of course, if your mechanical and fabrication skills are really good, you may want to tough it out and do it on your own.
so what your saying is that the engine mounts wont hold the engine? but if i can fabricate some really good custom ones it might work? ( i know i will have to get custom ones anyway)

thanks for the advice, thats what i want to hear, good/bad

EDIT: or that there is basicly no one to help that i can ask questions of?

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
nooooo, the mounts definately will hold. I'm talking aftermarket support in terms of knowledge and parts ;) But if you've never swapped anything before, a 1JZ into a BMW is nothing close to a walk in the park... I say this because it's not even close to a walk in the park for Toyota Cressida owners... and Japan-only versions of the Cressida even came with the 1JZ.

To answer your question, ae86polishman, no car in North America ever got a 1JZ-GTE. Though it did make its way into later model JDM MKIII Supras...

Otherwise, it was a 7M-GTE that powered all North American 1987-1992 turbo Supras.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts