Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
forget about "tsb's"
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tacosalad was nice enough to offer having his guy cut my cab mounts back for me, the way he had done to eliminate tire rub.
it came out great-you could never even tell any work was done by looking at it-it looks factory.
his tech was an amazing fabricator and made very quick work of it.
no more rubbing!

plate welded in place:

a couple coats of black and it's all done:

thanks again TS!

·
OVER ON TW
2008 toyota tacoma
321 Posts
I wonder who I could have do this around here. I'm afraid to let almost anyone around here work on my truck :ugh3:
take the pictures off here show them to they guy with the grinder so he knows exactly what you want and supervise the work. even though its prolly the most annoying thing a customer can do, but hey its your truck right you want it done right

·
Premium Member
07 DC TRD OR 4x4
1,000 Posts
No sweat 6shooter, came out great. Sorry you couldn't come wheelin with us. We got into some nasty snow. Got to use the winch a good 5 or 6 times. Not for me of course, but pulling out that red jeep, he got stuck more times then I can count. I'll post up some pictures here shortly. Once again, glad I could help, even though I didn't do any work :lol:

·
Registered
467 Posts
No sweat 6shooter, came out great. Sorry you couldn't come wheelin with us. We got into some nasty snow. Got to use the winch a good 5 or 6 times. Not for me of course, but pulling out that red jeep, he got stuck more times then I can count. I'll post up some pictures here shortly. Once again, glad I could help, even though I didn't do any work :lol:

Next time let me know when you are all going out to play (please).

·
Premium Member
07 DC TRD OR 4x4
1,000 Posts
Next time let me know when you are all going out to play (please).
I posted a thread last night telling people to PM if they wanted to go out. I'll PM you next time. Check out the picture on my thread, it was a good time.

·
forget about "tsb's"
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i had a feeling that dude would be getting stuck.....;)

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
I'll be doing that to my truck. Hopefully next month?:dunno:

I want to reuse the same cut off piece.
Just move it back. so that way even the dealer would have a hard time noticing it was different. We'll see it my metal working skill are still up to par.;):D

·
Registered
1,698 Posts

Just move it back. so that way even the dealer would have a hard time noticing it was different. We'll see it my metal working skill are still up to par.;):D
You mean cut that piece and weld it back on when selling the truck? Sounds challenging. Show us pics when you do it!

·
Premium Member
07 DC TRD OR 4x4
1,000 Posts

I originally tried this. Use the opposite sides cut off piece put in backwards. We found this dman near impossible. Requires the exact same cut on both sides, no easy to do.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
I originally tried this. Use the opposite sides cut off piece put in backwards. We found this dman near impossible. Requires the exact same cut on both sides, no easy to do.
Actually I was thinking about using the same side. Just making some filler pieces to cover the extra distance. Had the same issues when we use to chop top VW bugs.

I know it might be more trouble than it's worth? I may end up doing the flat plate.

it's just an idea I had.:D

·
Registered
324 Posts
We did the body mount chop on my buddy's FJ. Originally, we planned on doing some cutting then hammering closed the area and not needing new metal. We were surprised at how tough the metal was. It wouldn't budge with some good hammer whacks. We ended up cutting a little more than the above pictures and plating it with some metal a little thicker than the stock stuff. It seemed like the stock metal, even though thin, was heated treated or something tough like chromoly.

·
Registered
199 Posts
take the pictures off here show them to they guy with the grinder so he knows exactly what you want and supervise the work. even though its prolly the most annoying thing a customer can do, but hey its your truck right you want it done right
Good advice, that's probably my only option. Once I get wheels and tires, I'll run around locally and see what I can come up with. Hopefully someone can do as nice of a job as this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts