Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I compared the left side of the car to the right side, I noticed that body panel gaps aren’t exactly the same. There’s a few millimeters in difference. Look at the attached photos which show the front door to fender gap on both the left and right side. What do you guys think? Is this normal or the gaps supposed should be exactly the same. I also noticed that rear right door sits higher than the rear left door. The doors shut perfectly and there’s not wind noise or leaks..etc

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
4,247 Posts
More than I'd like on a new car, did you measure them?
Be interesting to compare a couple cars, maybe even new toyota vs new gm?

·
Registered
472 Posts
When I compared the left side of the car to the right side, I noticed that body panel gaps aren’t exactly the same. There’s a few millimeters in difference. Look at the attached photos which show the front door to fender gap on both the left and right side. What do you guys think? Is this normal or the gaps supposed should be exactly the same. I also noticed that rear right door sits higher than the rear left door. The doors shut perfectly and there’s not wind noise or leaks..etc
There is a spec for door fit for gap with some tolerances +/-. This is verified at the body fit at the end of assembly line.

Just eyeing the photos, the photo on the left looks to be below nominal and one on the right above nominal. The key is that the noise is the same left to right, and no water leaks, like you said...

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,781 Posts
It is said, that the left is not aligned like the right side of the vehicle. I've seen it on 9th gen Corolla, 1st gen vibe, 10th gen Corolla, and 2nd gen vibe.

The clearances were tighter on one side of the vehicles. I don't remember which side was tighter. It's like that on most vehicles.

Only so many shims can be used to align the panels before the geometry is thrown out of whack.

It is normal.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It is said, that the left is not aligned like the right side of the vehicle. I've seen it on 9th gen Corolla, 1st gen vibe, 10th gen Corolla, and 2nd gen vibe.

The clearances were tighter on one side of the vehicles. I don't remember which side was tighter. It's like that on most vehicles.

Only so many shims can be used to align the panels before the geometry is thrown out of whack.

It is normal.
On higher speed production lines, like Corolla, left side of the car is fitted by a different person than on the right. They both work to the same specs and they are human - imperfect. For door fit, in addition to gaps/levelness, they will also ensure the doors close properly - effort/speed/etc., they seal well, and won't cause wind noise. Shims are not used...

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,781 Posts
On higher speed production lines, like Corolla, left side of the car is fitted by a different person than on the right. They both work to the same specs and they are human - imperfect. For door fit, in addition to gaps/levelness, they will also ensure the doors close properly - effort/speed/etc., they seal well, and won't cause wind noise. Shims are not used...
We didn't use shims on our lines. The gaps were maintained until the final assembly. Gaps were verified and adjusted accordingly.

But, one could use shims, but it would likely make it worse.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My previous 2017 Toyota IM had some horrendous mismatched door gaps especially the rear doors but my 2020 Hatchback doors are all gapped equally.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts