Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That was the sound of me throwing a rod in my 96 Paseo while travelling down I-75 last Friday as I put a hole the size of my sister's fist in the block. 236500 miles and she finally gave out. Oh well, my dad who is footing the bill for repairs up front (I have to pay him back) told me if I can find a 5efhe that does not cost a significant amount more (that's with labor costs and a difference of $350) I can just go ahead and do the engine swap. Can anyone help?

·
Speed Racer
tercel
23 Posts
contact trevor (gt_revva) or mulberry on tercelonline.com they can hook you up
they are in miami

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they told me a price that was cheaper than getting an 5efe from an auto slavage place. I was shocked.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah I'm working with them. I have heard only good things about them so I am really trusting them. Now can anyone tell me with the tranny, wiring harness, and ECU from my stock efe, what kind of power will I be getting from this engine? I figure I won't get the 115hp rated on the efhe but I also figure I will get more than the 93 from the efe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Some 5efhe ecu's are special, they activate the ACIS (dual runner manifold) and advance the timing at higher RPMs, which helps make that 110-115hp. THey also have a slightly higher redline than a 5efe. No one really knows how much less power you make without this stuff, but I can imagine it is just a little more than a 5efe because of the higher compression and better flow through the manifolds, if you use them. Also keep in mind, japan has higher octane gas avaliable, so the rated HP might not be possible on pump gas in the US.
As far as ACIS, no one really agrees how it is activated in the factory cars, and i think that's because it worked a little different in different cars. Its not really a big deal though, you can just run with both sets of runners open all the time and have good top end performance:thumbup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply, now another question. Where can I get a 5efhe ECU and for how much? Same for the wiring harness and tranny.

·
Speed Racer
tercel
23 Posts
acis is activated via the actuator on the manifold... once the right amount of vaccuum is applied to the actuator, the extra runners open up....
honestly i would try to convince your pops to get the 5efhe with the acis mani.... how much more was did they quote you at?

also, dont forget that there are other importers in your area, so you should shop around as well

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well byp said that I could get the 5efhe for between $150-$250, an d I assumed that it would have the acis intake mani. Why wouldn't it? The reason I am using the stock 5efe tranny, ECU, and wiring harness is so as not to sky rocket the labor costs because as I said none of this is planned and I am not paying it myself. What other importers are there in my neck of the woods?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts