Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was in high school 1978-1982. I did not have a motor vehicle or driving privileges in high school. My grades were not high enough. I'm thinking what would have been cool for me to have driven back then as a coastal California boy with a German shepherd in the family. The Toyota Corolla wagon was practical but the least "cool". The hot-yellow Toyota truck would have been sporty and macho and practical. Can you still put a surf board inside a Toyota truck? How about a board on the Corolla wagon's roof rack? Vans used to be popular for younger men, but often custom-painted conversions with hot stereos. The typical younger man back in the day would have been on a limited budget for a vehicle. What could he buy working at a hamburger joint? If he were in upper-middle-class California and had good grades, a high-school boy might have gotten a newer/new vehicle from his folks. I was in opulent Woodside High School circa 1979. Boys had stuff like Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds. One had a brand new 1979 Volkswagen Super Beetle convertible in yellow. Another had a sporty new 1980 Toyota Corolla SR5 hatchback. A few boys had older pickup trucks like Fords and Chevys. Small imports were often seen as girlish. Lincolns and Cadillacs were seen as old fart like. BMW's, Mercedes and Porsches were cool but expensive. Big station wagons often were for housewives. But I'm thinking of a cool vehicle back in the day with some utility.

If you are a boomer/solid Xer man, what did you drive in high school? Was it fit for a large dog, surfing and/or hunting?

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

• Haha
Reactions: kenny-bob

· Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Dad gave me his '84 Z28 in high school back in the early 90's. I thought it was pretty cool.
Would you allow a dog with muddy feet inside your Z though? For a young man who owns a large dog or is into outdoor recreation, the trick was finding a vehicle that was both cool and practical. A pickup truck was the coolest for that purpose, a Jeep CJ-5 would have sufficed, a surfer wagon would do and a boy could also get by with a cool custom van. Preferably a cargo van pimped out as a surfer vehicle. I would have always prefered a Toyota pickup with a camper shell. A high-school boy I knew as a fellow who was my younger coworker in 1986 had a 1977 Ford Ranger F-150 truck. No shell on the back though. Certainly much more useful for a German shepherd or retriever than a sporty car. There really weren't any sporty and fast station wagons and certainly nothing in that camp with Toyota reliability.

· Registered
2021 Rav4 XLE ICE engine
416 Posts
Back in 1969 when I was in high school I had a '59 Fiat 500 which had a cloth folding sunroof. It had a two cylinder air cooled engine. I ported and polished the heads and intake manifold and used a much bigger Weber carb. I welded up a set of headers with tiny glass packs from a motor cycle. My large, white German Shepard would ride on the passenger bucket seat with his head and shoulders sticking out the roof.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Tire

· Super Moderator
234 Posts
Would you allow a dog with muddy feet inside your Z though? For a young man who owns a large dog or is into outdoor recreation, the trick was finding a vehicle that was both cool and practical. A pickup truck was the coolest for that purpose, a Jeep CJ-5 would have sufficed, a surfer wagon would do and a boy could also get by with a cool custom van. Preferably a cargo van pimped out as a surfer vehicle. I would have always prefered a Toyota pickup with a camper shell. A high-school boy I knew as a fellow who was my younger coworker in 1986 had a 1977 Ford Ranger F-150 truck. No shell on the back though. Certainly much more useful for a German shepherd or retriever than a sporty car. There really weren't any sporty and fast station wagons and certainly nothing in that camp with Toyota reliability.
No dogs, but the girls liked to go for rides.

· Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Back in 1969 when I was in high school I had a '59 Fiat 500 which had a cloth folding sunroof. It had a two cylinder air cooled engine. I ported and polished the heads and intake manifold and used a much bigger Weber carb. I welded up a set of headers with tiny glass packs from a motor cycle. My large, white German Shepard would ride on the passenger bucket seat with his head and shoulders sticking out the roof. View attachment 414173
My muscles ache just looking at the picture of it. Our 1975 Corolla wagon was about as cramped as I ever care to be. Looks like a car for an old midget couple with a toy poodle.

For a California high-school boy with a family German shepherd circa 1980, I would have to say that yellow '79 Toyota truck with racing stripes and camper shell would have been the E-TICKET of the day.

In 1980, a couple sophomore high-school boys were arguing in my physics class about what they liked better: the then-super-sensational Datsun 280ZX Turbo or the legendary Toyota Celica Supra that debuted in 1979. I think I would have favored the Toyota. I've always liked the name Toyota better than Datsun though Supra was kinda a silly name.

· Registered
2010 Prius, 2012 Prius, 2012 Highlander Hybrid Limited
38 Posts
The best auto (though not mine) at my high school was a 1972 International Scout. (This was late 80s.)

Lovingly maintained, cherry red, and topless... it was a thing of beauty. The guy used it for his side business, too, so lots of function in addition to the form.

It's perfect for SoCal and dog ownership.

Now if you could just find one that's not a rusted out nightmare or overpriced by $20,000.

· Registered
183 Posts
1960s vehicles that come to mind that were kinda cool, big dogs, surfboards etc...El Caminos and Rancheros. My grandfather had an El Camino in the early-bird 60s, handy all around vehicle for living in the country.

· Registered
264 Posts
The best auto (though not mine) at my high school was a 1972 International Scout. (This was late 80s.)

Lovingly maintained, cherry red, and topless... it was a thing of beauty. The guy used it for his side business, too, so lots of function in addition to the form.

It's perfect for SoCal and dog ownership.

Now if you could just find one that's not a rusted out nightmare or overpriced by $20,000.
Jim Croce’s gold International Travellall used to be my neighbors. Shoulda boyght that one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts