Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i got everything back in order...but now i have a stock head gasket again. im gonna go with a manual boost controler and a good boost gauge as my first upgrades. will it be safe to uprgrade my boost with this gasket, if so up to how much with EVERYTHING being 100% stock? and also not only up to how much can i boost for it to be safe...but up to how many lbs. until i'll be running lean or start loosing power cause of lack of fuel? thankz

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
As long as everything is working properly in your fuel system, with the stock turbo, you will NEVER run lean.

The issue is not running out of fuel, it is running out of turbo efficiency.

If you are on the stock turbo (CT26), do not run over 15 psi of boost.

As for the stock headgasket, as long as it is properly installed, it can handle quite a bit.
I've run upwards of 25 psi on the stock headgasket. The issue is not boost pressure, but detonation ... keep away from detonation and lots of wonderful things are possible.

I'd suggest buying your boost controller and boost gauge from www.twosrus.com.
Tell them I sent you :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow thankz alot that site was the best one i've been on so far....i was actually able to get the manual boost controler and a boost gauge for my bday... oh by the way, to eliminate fuel cut at 12psi and since i'll have a boost gauge, could i just disconnect the vacum line that goes from my intake manifold to my pressure sensor or will that mess with other things that the ECU needs to know? thanks again for the link

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so will disconnecting the vacum line that goes from my intake manifold to my pressure sensor mess with other info to my ECU???....and ya i think i saw sumthing about that before, do u have link or sumthing to a page that has details about that $6.00 fuel cut..and one more thing, i see your in port st. lucie, how are the races up there? alot of MR2's or toyotas???

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
The OEM MAP sensor on 1991-1995 MR2s does only TWO things:
*operate the stock boost gauge
*initiate fuel cut

If you plug the vacuum line to that sensor you will lose Fuel Cut completely and your OEM gauge will not longer register. It will not affect the ECU at all, unless you unplug it electrically ... then it might throw a code.

If you buy teh HKS fuel cut defender, you can RAISE fuel cut and maintain that extra safety margin.

·
Young At Heart
1993 Mr2
463 Posts
yes

As I said though u can make your own... with a little bit of knowledge on knowhow.... which I cannot do. it is said how to do it in the s3gte power primer here.

http://toymr2.tripod.com/fcd.html

kepp in mind either way u go this is the best way, as Hyde said, u still maintain some sort of safety for yourself in case something goes wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts