Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i got my clutch all fixed. That's out of the way. Now, off and on, the car will boost fine...above the + mark (stock gauge). I was on the highway today, and i went to over take someone, and the boost only reached 3/4 up the gauge. Car felt ALOT slower than usually. Also, when the car was up in the revs(over 5kish)it felt like it fell flat on its face. I've read that its a knock sensor pulling timing to compensate? I ordered a full tune up kit from two r us. I think i got this one down, but just wanted to see if you guys had any input.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya, just ordered the tune-up kit from twos r us. just waiting for it. Checked engine codes, and nothing. If fuel cut was kicking in, would it throw a code? what exactly is happening when fuel cut is enabled? can you explain it...read from many source, and answers vary.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
Whens the last time you did a tune up?
If you're stock, when you hit 12 psi of boost, ECU will cut fuel as a safety measure. RPM's will drop off and boost will be lowered. I don't know if it throws a code.
If engine is not running well, ECU can put you into safe mode and you will only boost 6 or 7 psi .
Do the tune up and check your timing. Check all hoses-vacuum and pressure.
Then take it from there.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
I'm guessing ignition components. Fuel cut will throw a code (52 I believe).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya, no codes. ill let you guys know how everything goes when i get my ignition components.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, got my ignition set, problems. comparing my OEM toyota set to the STI ones, the ends are much bigger, and the coil wire does fit my OEM coil??

·
Registered
383 Posts
What year is your car? I had to re-order my plug wires and dizzy cap from the dealer. I have a '92 and didn't know what the build date was. Apparently they changed from smaller to larger leads early in the year. If your leads are too big, you need to get the early 92 wires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
any thoughts i have a 7mgte with lots of mods dode like 720cc injectors and ct 50 comp wheel but bad cut at 10 lbs i was thinking fcd can u guys help

·
Registered
165 Posts
mk3 turbo- I don't know that much about the supra's, but those sound like big injectors to be running on a stock ecu, the largets injector you can use with the 3sgte ecu is the 550cc's out of the mk4 supra TT. I would try and put the stock injectors in, and see how it runs. You don't need that large of an injector for such a small turbo. But yes, a FCD will eliminate fuel cut; if it's from over boosting.

JDM006-The ignition components would be a good first step. Even if it doesn't fix your problem, it's not wasted money. Might be a dumb question, but when you were passing the guy, were you full throttle? The car will not reach full boost if you aren't full throttle. If you are running the ct-26 turbo still, it is a smaller turbo and after ~5k RPM's the turbo can't flow enough air to keep up with the motors demand! The oem knock sensor is sensative and will tell the ecu to pull timing earlier than it needs to; a common upgrade is to install a GM knock sensor, you can buy all the parts you need to upgrade that from ATS. I doubt that you hit fuel cut, because if that's the case, the car wouldn't feel slow, it would fell like the engine just cut out, like you just hit a brick wall...

I will be installing the AEM EMS on my mr2 at the end of June and I currently have a Greddy Fuel Cut Eliminator that I won't need; so I will be selling that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts