Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Nissan Maxima
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bore spacing on the 1MZ/3MZ-FE engines, anybody know it? :) I searched and found some really good tech threads (Ratko, Tony the Tiger, etc) but not specifically the bore spacing of the block. I figure somebody here ought to know it though. :cool:

I figure with the 3MZ engine having a 3.62in bore (92mm) that the block probably has to have at least a 104 mm bore spacing or so allowing for a reasonable 12 mm cylinder wall, but I'm not sure if it's maxed out or not. Could there be more headway to go on bore on the MZ engine series?

For reference...

Nissan VQ: 108 mm bore spacing
Honda J-series: 98 mm bore spacing
Toyota MZ-series: :confused:

Thanks for any help. :cool:

·
Registered
1999 Nissan Maxima
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Anybody? :(

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
The spacing is important, but usually you will end up boring through the sleeve thickness before you encounter bore spacing problems. Well, that is if you are planning to go big overbore.

If you get the block resleeved, then that's a different story :)
With a resleeved block, you can go really tight between the bores. Just like this is picture, which is my GSR's resleeved B-series block:

This is the spacing on a stock 1MZ block:
Courtesy of Glok:

On the above pic, you can see how thick the stock sleeves are on the 1MZ-FE. The most I will go is 1mm overbore and that is it. More than that, I believe it will start causing sleeve problems (cracking, etc...)... My rule of thumb is to minmize overboring on stock sleeved motors :)

·
Registered
1999 Nissan Maxima
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so what is the actual bore spacing? Do you guys know? Like 104 mm or so? Or do I need to just fire up photoshop and see if I can get it manually? hehe :D

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
Why would you want that specific number though? It is the sleeve that will let you know how much it can be bored out, and not the actual spacing of the cylinders.

I guess I can measure it out for you tomorrow or something... :) My block is sitting at the shop still.

·
Registered
1999 Nissan Maxima
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just interested in it as a point of comparison to the other engines I listed. No big deal really so don't trouble yourself or anything. Lets just say that curiosity kills the cat is all. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm just interested in it as a point of comparison to the other engines I listed. No big deal really so don't trouble yourself or anything. Lets just say that curiosity kills the cat is all. ;)
curiosity may have killed the cat but it was satisfaction that brought him back

1 - 8 of 8 Posts