Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '84 toyota pickup with a 22R that smokes alot and I was going to do a rebuild on it and I noticed the pistons were stamped .50. It looks like it needs to be bored. I was wondering if it could be bored any more one person told me that it really couldnt be bored anymore because it would get too close to the waterjackets. If it cant be bored then I'd have to buy another block. I was also wondering, if I do have to buy another block, is a 22RE block interchangeable with a 22R block and what is the year range (earliest-latest) of when they used the same blocks. Any help I could get would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trash

If that unit is already 50 over, and you are going to toss more money at it and bore it some more. Let me give you an address and you can send me a check too, 'cause that would just be tossing away your money.

Really, check with your local engine swap house, it is possible once they know your unit is already 50 over, they will not give you core credit for the block.
Option, go to yard and pull complete block, or eat the core charge.

when you start going over stock, and your 50 is a lot already of a Alum Jp block, things will run hotter, burn more oil, and the list goes on

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. Ill go find another motor. I am kinda bummed but Ill find another and how about the 22RE block and what years of blocks can I use that are the same? thanks again.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
the block are the same from the 22r and the 22re the diffrenace are in the heads and the intake. you just have to make sure you get the long stroke block (there was a short stroke but i think that was used in the celica's) i belive the years for the blocks ran from 81-84 and those dont work well with the later heads i belive

http://www.lcengineering.com/

this is where i find most of my info from and they have some good prices for some of their parts

·
King Dingaling
77 scottsdale 4X4
129 Posts
you know, the people at the junkyards always seem to have a vast knowledge of whats interchangeable and whats not. also buying a junkyard block is not a bad idea (its usually cheaper than eating a core charge) so I'd try going there and asking a few questions. carefull though, even though some of those guys know their stuff every once in a while you run into an idiot that just talks bs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know what youre talking about. The junkyard guys around me arent really the most honest guys. One guy just got busted for running a chop-shop. Thanx for the info though it really helps. I actually went to a machine shop. These guys know everything you'd have a question about. I came to find out that I can save the block because that stamp doesnt mean .50 over. It actually means something like it was the second time its bored. they said I have a long ways to go with that block. Thanks for the help though guys, It was my misunderstanding. .50 is a little different than .050. Ha Ha.

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
yea .50 is .50 mm which is equal to .020" you can go to .75mm(.030") and up to .040" (1.0mm) ive seen people rheem em out to 1.25mm or .060" but thats gettin a little thin in my book. sory to post on an old thred but maby it'll help somebody?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts