Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1993 MR2 Turbo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a Borla Pro XS exhaust which replaced a Flowmaster 40 series which replaced the stock muffler.

For those of you who are running stock please upgrade asap if you don't mind a deeper louder sound. I basically got identical results from the Flowmaster and Borla in performance. They are both very superior to stock. I got an average of about 50+ miles per gas tank and rpms dropped about 250 to 2550 rpms at 70 mph. Each setup pays for itself very fast. FYI, the Flowmaster was louder especially at 2000 rpms. I preferred the sound of the Borla which is still deep but not quite as loud. Just my opinion but both are great.

I paid $175 for the Flowmaster. (muffler & fittings & install)
I paid $175 for the Borla. (muffler & fittings & install)

:clap:

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
You arent kidding when you say the Flowmaster 40s are loud.
Ive got a Flowmaster 50 on my F-150 and while it loud outside the truck, inside the truck its not very loud at all. You hear it when you accelerate, but when cruising at a steady speed you cant really hear it much at all.
Thats something worth noting, because the interior resonance of the 40 might get old after a while.

·
1993 MR2 Turbo
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, I installed it in a 1998 TRD 4wd xcab Tacoma. It started feeling sluggish and when a tuneup didn't do much I decided to replace the exhaust.

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Is there any way you could perhaps upload a sound clip? Ive heard a few 4.0L Tacomas with Magnaflows and they sound pretty good (not quite as good as a V8, but nice; where a V8 has a nice, deep rumble the 4.0Ls have a raspy sound, almost like an exotic sportscar) and Id be interested to hear how yours sounds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My first post.

I am picking up an '04 2xCab tomorrow. I have had an '89 XtraCab and a '91 4Runner in the past.

I had a Borla exhaust on my WRX I am trading in and that exhaust resonated inside the car sooo bad! I had to take it off after a couple months and replace it with a Prodrive muffler. It sounded great on the outside though.

Seeing I will probably be putting one on the new ride eventually, either of these don't drone inside on the highway do they?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts