Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ahve read all the prior post on this topic, my question is borla make a axle abck for a 2010 corolla, according to magnaflow they make an axle back for the 2006 model, is there a difference and will it fir on my 2010, also noticed that they only make a axle back for the 1.8L s and 2.4L xrs corolla, why is this I thought that the 1.8L was the same for le, ce and S, why do they only make an exhaust for the S,

·
Ask your Mother
2009 Corolla XRS
2,035 Posts
The S model has the Exhaust Cut Out Hole built in, where as the CE, LE, XLE does not.

That is why it only offers it for the S / XRS.

As for Magnaflow or Borla... do a custom setup. Buy your own Muffler & Tip and save $200 or more with it.

The Axle Back kits from either supplier is a rip off IMO.

But do what you want. I just suggest buying a Universal Muffler O/O (2" or 2 1/4") and then a Tip that you like.

·
Lowdown Lowlife
09 Corolla LE MGM
8,948 Posts
^^ That is what I did and I spent a total of $100... $90 for muffler/tip/shipping, $10 for pipe/clamps/etc and could not be much happeir (happier = free, lol)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
?

So you cut your stock pipe off and clamped on the new muffler? also what is meant by exhaust cut off hole, I am not familar with that term, do you mean that it does not bolt on??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1

like on the bumper? also what year exhausts will fit the 09,2010 axle backs like on eba, FOR EXAMPLE,not that I would but the 2008 systems look like they will fit

·
OregonRolla7
2010 Corolla S
2,666 Posts
If you are buying one that is axle back by only for the 2009/2010 corolla s. You can buy a universal muffler for about 90 dollars and have a shop weld it in place of your old muffler if you like and you will essentially accomplish the same thing as buying an axleback but save at 200 dollars

·
Ask your Mother
2009 Corolla XRS
2,035 Posts
like on the bumper? also what year exhausts will fit the 09,2010 axle backs like on eba, FOR EXAMPLE,not that I would but the 2008 systems look like they will fit
You should buy one that is designed for the 2009/2010 Corolla ONLY. buying one for another model year is not recommended.

I suggest using the search feature since this has been covered almost as much as Lowering Springs & HIDs.

So you cut your stock pipe off and clamped on the new muffler? also what is meant by exhaust cut off hole, I am not familar with that term, do you mean that it does not bolt on??
You take your car to an Exhaust Shop/Tuner shop and have them cut off the old muffler, then get a PROFESSIONAL to weld the new one into place. Then Weld your Tip onto the muffler for a nice finish.

The Exhaust CUT OUT hole is a part of the bumper that is like a half circle where the tail pipe exits from under the body. The CE, LE & XLE have a tail pipe is bent downwards, meaning no cut out.

HERE, use this as reference.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321708&highlight=magnaflow+muffler

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also dont want to void my wareenty by cutting the old muffler pipe, so I amy just buy axle back reguardless of being more $, ps does a short shifter void warrenty

·
Registered
2009 Corolla S
1,384 Posts
I also dont want to void my wareenty by cutting the old muffler pipe, so I amy just buy axle back reguardless of being more $, ps does a short shifter void warrenty
Changing muffler won't void your warranty. So as other mods. They can only void your warranty if the part that you modified has a direct cause to the problem or damage.

·
The Corolla That Could
09 Corolla S
366 Posts
J

Changing muffler won't void your warranty. So as other mods. They can only void your warranty if the part that you modified has a direct cause to the problem or damage.
Just want to add to this a bit. If you take your car to the dealer for a rusted out muffler, and they dont cover it under warranty due to the rust being cause by a bad weld, it doesnt void the warranty for the exhaust. If your exhaust , with after market muffler, had a broken hanger that was not moddified, they would cover it. The aftermarket part, or instalation of that part, has to be proved to have cause the failure for them to not cover that repair under warranty. They cant legally say, "..Well I see youve got an intake on the engine that is not factory so we're not going to cover your broken trunk hinge...".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Htownchuy

·
Unofficial TN Member
2009 Rolla S
1,429 Posts
The good thing about the axle back systems is that its a simple DIY. You just unbolt the stock exhaust along with its hangers and put in the new one. The price for the Borla Axle back is a little over the top though IMO. I think XRSized has one. It looks and sounds mean though.

·
Registered
2009 Toyota Corolla
205 Posts
Ok... I'm gonna have to put my 2 cents in on this one.

I agree with the fact that the BORLA Axle-back Bolt on exhaust is a bit pricey, but I did purchase this part. I went back and forth between getting the muffler and piping and taking it to a muffler shop, but here are the reasons why I decided to spend the extra money...

1.) Even at a reputable muffler shop, It is still just a muffler shop. BORLA has been making RACE WINNING mufflers for decades. I trust them.

2.) IMO - The sound quality of my BORLA exhaust compared to that of a "custom" exhaust is drastically different. I went on a cruise meet here recently with some guys from 6gc.net and most of them have "custom" exhausts. Compared,... mine sounds WAY better.

3.) Ease of installation. I took the stock muffler off and installed the BORLA exhaust in about half an hour. It is EXTREMELY easy!.

4.) Name Brand. I could have gotten an HKS, GREDDY, MAGNAFLOW or any other name brand muffler and had it put on my car, but BORLA made this muffler specifically for my car... and thats why I got it.

Now, ultimately the decision is yours, but I feel like I made the right decision by spending a little extra coin.

·
Lowdown Lowlife
09 Corolla LE MGM
8,948 Posts
I put my Magnaflow on myself... I was scared of burning a hole via my shotty (still learning) welding work, so I just bolted mine on (will weld it once i get better!). Took me all of 45-60min and about $10-$15 worth of clamps. Even a "custom" setup can be done easily by an average joe if they have the determination. Sadly, one of the easier mods i've done!! And cheaper than having a shop put it on!!!

·
Registered
2009 Corolla XRS
219 Posts
does anybody sell the Borla 11795 for less the the 339.00...??? I was thinking a cool 300 with shipping would be a more justifed price summit also wants 19 extra for shipping ouch

·
Ask your Mother
2009 Corolla XRS
2,035 Posts
Ok... I'm gonna have to put my 2 cents in on this one.

I agree with the fact that the BORLA Axle-back Bolt on exhaust is a bit pricey, but I did purchase this part. I went back and forth between getting the muffler and piping and taking it to a muffler shop, but here are the reasons why I decided to spend the extra money...

1.) Even at a reputable muffler shop, It is still just a muffler shop. BORLA has been making RACE WINNING mufflers for decades. I trust them.

2.) IMO - The sound quality of my BORLA exhaust compared to that of a "custom" exhaust is drastically different. I went on a cruise meet here recently with some guys from 6gc.net and most of them have "custom" exhausts. Compared,... mine sounds WAY better.

3.) Ease of installation. I took the stock muffler off and installed the BORLA exhaust in about half an hour. It is EXTREMELY easy!.

4.) Name Brand. I could have gotten an HKS, GREDDY, MAGNAFLOW or any other name brand muffler and had it put on my car, but BORLA made this muffler specifically for my car... and thats why I got it.

Now, ultimately the decision is yours, but I feel like I made the right decision by spending a little extra coin.
I'm going to add my response to your justifications...

1) There is no difference between a Axle Back Muffler and a Universal Muffler from Borla... Borla just did all the welding for you, and pre-set the hangers.

2) Of course the sound is going to be different. You were with Celicas. Compare your Borla Axle Back to a Custom Borla / Magnaflow on a 10th Gen Corolla with the same engine and same pipe diameter. Then report back. the 2ZR-FE is a very quiet engine compared to the older 7A-FE, 3S-FE, 3S-GE, 3S-GTE, 5S-FE found in those celicas.

3) Yes it would be easier to do a DIY, but at the cost of a couple hundred bucks?

4) Borla made a pre-assembled axel back that fits your car using a Universal Muffler from their catalog. It is not like they designed a BRAND NEW muffler for the Corolla Specifically. They just pre-bent the pipes for ease of installation. Borla did what ANY muffler shop can do.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,788 Posts

1) There is no difference between a Axle Back Muffler and a Universal Muffler from Borla... Borla just did all the welding for you, and pre-set the hangers.

2) Of course the sound is going to be different. You were with Celicas. Compare your Borla Axle Back to a Custom Borla / Magnaflow on a 10th Gen Corolla with the same engine and same pipe diameter. Then report back. the 2ZR-FE is a very quiet engine compared to the older 7A-FE, 3S-FE, 3S-GE, 3S-GTE, 5S-FE found in those celicas.

3) Yes it would be easier to do a DIY, but at the cost of a couple hundred bucks?

4) Borla made a pre-assembled axel back that fits your car using a Universal Muffler from their catalog. It is not like they designed a BRAND NEW muffler for the Corolla Specifically. They just pre-bent the pipes for ease of installation. Borla did what ANY muffler shop can do.
I couldn't agree more, I love my Borla muffler & tip, installed for $170. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
^^^^

Ah so pretty much the Borla Axleback would have the same results of just buying a Universal Borla Muffler and Tip?

The bright end would be saving $200 bucks +/-

If I did purchase a Universal Muffler and Tip from Borla, would it give me the same sound as their Axleback already made for the 10thGen's?

·
Registered
2009 Toyota Corolla
205 Posts

Response...

1.) You are absolutely correct. Seeing as how I can not weld, I appreciate the fact that they did so.

2.) You are again correct. I was with celica's however I have compared the following (Borla "Custom" vs Magnaflow "Custom"; Borla Axle-back vs Borla "Custom"; and finally Borla Axle-back Vs Magnaflow "Custom") and IMO I prefer the Axle-back Borla Bolt on. It just sounds better.

3.) I do think that it was a bit pricey, but in the end... it was my money.

4.) Borla might have "pre-bent the pipes for ease of installation", but they did NOT do what ANY muffler shop could have done IMO. I personally do NOT trust muffler shops because I have had bad experiences with them. From rude customer service, to shoddy craftsmanship. I also find the following statement argumentative... "It is not like they designed a BRAND NEW muffler for the Corolla Specifically." considering that it is SPECIFICALLY for the 10th gen Corolla, and it was BRAND NEW. Not to mention, Borla had to put in a SPECIAL work order to have mine made. (meaning they didn't have any in stock).

Either way, you have your opinions, and I have mine.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts