Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed out the plugs in the wife's echo the other day, and instead of the stock plugs, I used the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs. The chnage was pretty amazing - that little car has some extra punch.

Now, it could be that the noticable increase in response and power was becasue the old stock plug were pretty well worn out, but I was more than mildy impressed. Has anybody else tried the Platinum +4 plugs in their tc, and did you notice any difference?

·
Registered
2002 4Runner
152 Posts
Using Bosch Plugs in a Toyota is a NO-NO everyone that I have talked to have had problems with them in Toyotas, they are great in European cars, but in Japs....it is a different story. I had a Bosch Plug blow out 2 engines in my Oldsmobile put the electrode through the cylinder....I have pics even....ALWAYS USE DEALERHIP PLUGS...but you dont have to buy them at the dealership. sparkplugs.com has great plugs for a great price, to check codes, look at owners manual

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have used Bosch successfully on a Tercel

Several mechanics have told me not to use Bosch in a Toyota. That German technology is not compatible with Japanese. But, I put in Bosch Platinum 4+ in a 1994 Toyota Tercel. And got 38 mpg. And had better pickup. 38 is about as good a gas mileage as a Tercel can get. Plus, my engine is old, 200,000 miles, and burns oil. The platinum plugs took out a lot of the smoke the oil burning caused. Which is the reason I used platinums to begin with.

So, experience speaks louder than so called experts.

I've used iridium NGK's and platinum NGK's and neither did as well as the Bosch.

I have not tried platinum Densos. Would be all for doing it, though. Not emotionally attached to any brand.

I need plugwires pretty soon and have thought about Bosch. NGK doesn't make plugwires. Don't know about Denso.

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
^^^^
ok, since I work for Toyota...

A new spark plug isn't going to take out any smoke from burning oil. It might give you a more complete combusion which would cause you less unburnt fuel(black smoke), but the oil smoke(blue smoke) wont go away. If it then then you need to figure out what else you fixed while you were in there, like piston rings, or leaking valve seals,

If your echo is a 2000, then you should have platnum plugs in it which are good for 60,000 miles. Otherwise you should be running a standard plug and be replacing them every 30,000 miles. make sure they are gapped correctly and your car will run like new. Most people just let plugs go till thier car is running rough reguardless of how many miles they should be changed at.

I don't know how many cars we get in here a month with running problems such as misfires, running rich codes and other issues. 50% of the time, the problem is from someone installing junk plugs. Champions are for Chrysler, Motorcrafts for Ford, Bosch for German cars and NGK/Denso for Japan cars.

First of all. Do not use bosch plugs in a Toyota. I don't know how many people I've had to tell that too. Denso or NGK.

Second DO NOT use platnum plugs in a car that came with standard plugs. They run hotter and will cause issues down the road.

The bosch Platnum +4 is a gimmick plug. You've got 4 electodes. Only one of them ever fires at any given time so all you're doing is blocking the fuel from reaching the spark cleanly. And also, Toyota's are designed so that the spark plug electrode is in the OPTIMUM position when it fires.

All you're going to do is block the fuel from the spark and it's going to burn too hot anyway.

Expierience DOES NOT always speak louder then the expert. Especially the expert that repairs the car.

Installing new plugs in any car will get you better fuel economy and 38mpg is pretty standard for a clean running tercel. my friend 93 gets between 37 and 40 avg.

·
Registered
TUNDRA
18 Posts
^^^^
ok, since I work for Toyota...

A new spark plug isn't going to take out any smoke from burning oil. It might give you a more complete combusion which would cause you less unburnt fuel(black smoke), but the oil smoke(blue smoke) wont go away. If it then then you need to figure out what else you fixed while you were in there, like piston rings, or leaking valve seals,

If your echo is a 2000, then you should have platnum plugs in it which are good for 60,000 miles. Otherwise you should be running a standard plug and be replacing them every 30,000 miles. make sure they are gapped correctly and your car will run like new. Most people just let plugs go till thier car is running rough reguardless of how many miles they should be changed at.

I don't know how many cars we get in here a month with running problems such as misfires, running rich codes and other issues. 50% of the time, the problem is from someone installing junk plugs. Champions are for Chrysler, Motorcrafts for Ford, Bosch for German cars and NGK/Denso for Japan cars.

First of all. Do not use bosch plugs in a Toyota. I don't know how many people I've had to tell that too. Denso or NGK.

Second DO NOT use platnum plugs in a car that came with standard plugs. They run hotter and will cause issues down the road.

The bosch Platnum +4 is a gimmick plug. You've got 4 electodes. Only one of them ever fires at any given time so all you're doing is blocking the fuel from reaching the spark cleanly. And also, Toyota's are designed so that the spark plug electrode is in the OPTIMUM position when it fires.

All you're going to do is block the fuel from the spark and it's going to burn too hot anyway.

Expierience DOES NOT always speak louder then the expert. Especially the expert that repairs the car.

Installing new plugs in any car will get you better fuel economy and 38mpg is pretty standard for a clean running tercel. my friend 93 gets between 37 and 40 avg.
+1 here... never use bosch in toyota, very bad!!!!

·
Registered
1992 Toyota Camry LE
657 Posts
+1 Against Running Bosch in Toyota.

Bosch in Toyota do not mix.
I run NGKs in my Cam.

I agree with HatenFate with everything but, using standard plugs.
IMO, spark plugs running hotter due to platinum tips, is negligable.

Even on the old blocks such as those in the Gen 3 Camries, pretty much everyone runs platinum plugs, with no issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i don't really see how the bosch plugs are hard on a toyota then it would be for anything else. what is causing this to be hard on them? temperture of the spark or somthing? everyone is sayin its a no no, but i can't see the machanics of it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.