Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trivia question;
Bought another Toyota very much unlike my 06 Avalon.
A 95 4dr. Camry auto.
ls the block iron or aluminum? Head?
How is this car for head gasket problems?
Sludge problems?
It feels extremely light after the Avalon .. that I still have.
Sold a Suburban though.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,141 Posts
we'll need you to tell us which engine is in it, first, the V6 or the 4 cyl.

the V6 in a '95 was the 1MZ-FE, all aluminum (head/block)
the I4 in the '95 was the 5S-FE, iron block, aluminum head

Both had issues with sludge, so oil change intervals are important (2500~3000 miles is best).
Neither is known for having head gasket problems.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
238 Posts
Yep the above is right the different engines were made from different materials and yes they did have a sludge problem

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,020 Posts
they supposedly have sludge issue from the 97-01 from the hotter running temps, but i personally never had any issues with them sludging. If it was such a huge issue, you would never see these on the road anymore. Short distant driving and lack of oil changes kills these things.

headgasket failure isn't common on either engine, but they do happen here and there. Proper care in somewhat maintaining the coolant system in these cars go a long way.

I don't hesitate on buying either the V6 or I4 as long as I can somewhat see some care was done to the car such as basic oil changes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry I dropped the ball re my engine specifics. The manual says 2RZ-FE. It’s a four cyl. and I always Thought they were 2200c but the manual claims 2438cc. You-all must know the true displacement,

RE oil I don’t have any cars with synthetic oil. Since I drive moderately in the interest of making my cars last they don’t get very hot. I even live in a cool climate (Wa.) But re sludge I change oil often on any car prone to sludge (every 3000mi.) My Avalon gets oil every 5k and with the 6qt capacity of the Camry I’m leaning toward that for the Camry. But at this time I don’t know how often I’ll drive my three cars. I’m sure I’ll drive the Camry almost constantly but that will taper off. I may get tired of the Cam and return to the Avalon.??
For your entertainment I was shocked to discover the huge difference in gear ratios between the OD hi and low ratios. I expected something like a 4th to 5th gear shift of about 300rpm. I’m trying to decide if I like it or not. To make things a little better I could put larger OD tires and wheels on. But I wouldn’t want hi OD to be any higher. But if I were to put smaller tires and wheels on the, OD hi ratio would be possibly better .. and if I pul the Tent trailer (1000lbs) the slightly smaller wheels and lower overall gearing lower the trailer pulling power requirement = good. I see some Mazda four bolt aluminum wheels on CL. Could be something to look at.
Oh yeah .. the timing belt was changed just a few thousand miles ago.
Miss the car as it’s in the shop getting this and that done and when I get her back I’ll fix an exhaust leak (hole).
In the 90’s ... hope it cools down.:p

·
short-throw dipstick
6,213 Posts
Where are you located? I wasn't aware that any Camry, either NA-spec widebody XV-x or overseas narrowbody V-x came with the RZ engines. RZ is a truck engine, AFAIK in the States it only came in the Tacoma.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
insight,
Live in western Wa. Concrete near Burlington and Mt. Vernon (east of)
I took a closser look at the manual ..... all truck. The first paragraph in my post #5 says I don’t know what engine I have other than it’s a 95 Camry 4cyl. I better look at the door jam. Then go find a manual for my car/engine. I wondered why it had camper info and 4wd info. Looks like the front and back cover is for a Camry and all of the inside pages are for a truck. So Toyota assembled the manual wrong. They put a Camry cover on a truck manual (insides).
Well thanks for the heads up.
Eric

Reactions: insightbrewery

·
short-throw dipstick
6,213 Posts
Lol that would explain it then. As mentioned, and to reiterate:

5S-FE I4, iron block, alloy head
it's a '95, should not have sludge issues unless you really abuse it
also shouldn't have head gasket issues

I know what you mean about it feeling lighter - I just bought an '05 Corolla (was a screaming deal) and it feels so twitchy compared to my '00 Camry.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Live in western Wa. Concrete near Burlington and Mt. Vernon (east of)
Heyo! I'm down in Tacoma area. Good to see another person in the PNW.

The local Autozones and Orielys has the Haynes manuals for our Camry for about $20.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Insight.
haha my wife’s 07 Fit has race car quick steering. I think it’s a sport .. I’d never buy one but perhaps a non-sport would be fine. My 95 Cam has light steering but not too quick .. perfect.
So my engine is a “5S-FEI4 ..?

fox,
Not accustomed to going to Autozone but I’ll go there now.
Is you’re 01 Cam the same width as my 95? One of the reasons I bought the 95 is that I don’t like how big my 06 Ave Limited is or feels. Nor the poor visibility aft. The Camry seems about right. I was shopping for a stick but I have a problem with my foot .. two problems actually so when I found this car I went for it. Most of the time it looks silver but it’s actually light light green metallic.
I also have an 87 Nissan Stanza high end. 300k mi. And sorta worn out. Put high-milage oil in about 1.5 mos ago and the oil leak or burning stopped.
You ever get up this way?
Eric

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think it's slightly wider, but not by much. It is a bit longer than a 3rd gen though. Definitely not as wide as an Avalon though. I also have issues with my left side. I have bone spurs growing inward slowly severing my nerves to my left leg. I also broke my spine and some of my back fused together. Every once in a while I drop on that side. But I still drive stick when I can. Cool on the Stanza. I also drive a 89 Celica:

·
short-throw dipstick
6,213 Posts
Oh man do I like Honda Fits. I have a manual gen1 Insight and it's a blast, small Hondas are best Hondas. The engine type is I4 (Inline 4) and the engine name per Toyota is 5S-FE.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
My foot problem is specifically a Morton’s Neuroma. Also a nerve problem.
Your Celica is beautiful and no doubt wonderful to drive.
Here’s my Nissan Stanza. Comporable model to a limited. I think it is a Z engine w two cylinders missing.

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
High five nerve problems lol. My Celica is currently down ATM, engine was shot so I pulled it. I'm about to start working on it again soon here actually.

Those headlights on your Stanza are ridiculously clean. When I get the engine in my Celica we should do a meet. I go to Mt. Vernon every once in a blue moon. I went to Job Corp up there for Carpentry years ago :D Not as a problem child mind you, of my own volition.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yea the headlights. They are glass ... as in not plastic.
Too bad about your broken down Celica.
yup you don’t seem a problem to me .. haha
well at least you know where Mt Vernon is hmmm.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Even glass lenses, especially here in Washington, get slightly yellowed but not from sunlight. From all the crappy weather and moss and such that happens. I have a Corolla with glass lenses and unless I spend the time polishing them, they have a slight ugliness to them!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fox,
Yea mine (on the Camry) have a slightly darkish almost black tint to them. I’ll try to take them out and go after them w a fine Scotch Brite pad. Do you know if that could be harmful to the lens? Wouldn’t think it would hurt glass.
my Cam also has the cheap plastic wheel covers and they scream K-Mart to me. On my Suburban I had the wheels powder coated blue. But after two years they went dull .. were quite shinny for a time. I’m fairly committed to painting the steel Camry wheels. Any comments?
JB

·
Registered
426 Posts
Cleaning glass headlights with scotch brite is fine, it won't damage it. As for paint, it's not hard to paint wheels whatever color you want. Make sure to use a good primer first though. And put a few coats of clear even if it's gloss paint. Will keep the shine a lot longer and help protect the actual paint.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fox,Sounds very good to me.
Colors are limited w powder coat.
So I’m leaning toward paint. Rattle can spits paint. Can one rent a sprayer or is there a good rattle can nozzle? I‘m a boater so I can brush pretty good but it will always look back yard.
I’ll check the powder coat colors. A little wax will probably be fine.
My old Suburban w PC blue wheels. View attachment 306278

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Got a can of Cummins engine paint that’s a nice beige color.
It’s high temp paint and may be undesirable for wheels.
More importantly it has an improved nozzle that’s not suppos-to slobber. Test spraying is in order.
To PC 4 wheels it’s only $210.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts