Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Camry XLE 1997
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I bought "new" car, 1997 Toyota Camry XLE, with V6 engine, just like I wanted ;), so I'm staying with Toyota Nation. But it has some problems, and it's a little dirty inside, previous owner wasn't vary clean I suppose.

First of all, ABS is not working and Traction control too. He said that there could be problem with ABS computer, and it may cost alot. I hope it's just a sensor, but if it's computer. Is it true that the fix is pricey?

#2 Lights on the gearbox are not working. What could be the problem? If the bulb is burned out, what kind of bulb is there?

#3 Lights on the speedometer and are not working, good thing at least one works, so I can see my speed at night :) Also light on HVAC are not working. Same question, what could be the problem and what bulbs are there, in case I need to change them?

#4 Stop light on a spoiler is not working too :headbang:. I don't think that light is burned out, it's probably connection problem or something else...

#5 What are best ways to eliminate small spots of rust? The car has one on the trunk.

That's it for now, if I find something else I'll let you know :)

Oh, one more question: it has security thing near the traction button, what's it for, how to use it?

·
Registered
'97 Camry
90 Posts
Nice car. I've got one of those too! I'm a novice and not mechanically inclined, but I'll see if I can help you out.

1. ABS isn't working? Is the ABS light on? Or do you jam on the brakes and they lock up or what? The ABS light can mean several things, but whenever mine came on it was because A) the brakes needed to be changed REALLY bad, or B) the sensor was kind of "busted". By busted, I mean there was a metal rod looking (on the inside of the tire) hanging off. Turns out it was just missing a screw or something, so he fixed that right up. If that's the case for you, the dealer won't just sell you a screw. They'll sell you the whole part and charge you $$$. Try to find yourself an honest mechanic to help you determine what the problem is.

2. The light on the gear box is a PAIN! There is a really good DIY guide on here, but just by looking at it, I decided to never attempt it. Not because it was a lousy DIY, but because there is just so much involved. Do a search and you'll find it. Decide whether you want to do it, or pay the dealer $$$ to do it for you.

3. The speedometer is easier. Again, there is a DIY guide for it. Basically you pry the plastic around the gauges off. Unscrew the box with the speedometer in it. Pull the thing out and you've got the bulbs in the back. Just twist and change. Each bulb is a #194.

4. Lucky you. Mine didn't come with a spoiler. If you think it's a connection problem, you should be able to unscrew the actual light and check it out. If it is connected, it could be the LED's just don't work anymore. If you need a new one, check out this place:

http://www.spoilerlights.com/servlet/StoreFront

They make some colored and clear spoiler lights.

Enjoy the "new" car.

·
Registered
Camry XLE 1997
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for a good reply, Camrydriver.

Are the lights on the speedometer, gear box, and HVAC the same #194 or not?

Do you know what security near the traction button does? How to use it?
Is the security code for radio are last digits of the VIN number or no? Because I will have to disconnect battery when changing bulbs, and the radio would probably be blocked.

·
Registered
'97 Camry
90 Posts
HVAC? You mean the area around the air conditioning knobs? No. Those are not 194. I don't know for certain what the heck they are. Everyone on here has #74 for those bulbs, but I don't. The bulbs for the cig lighter and ash try are one type of bulb, the two that go behind the knobs are another type, and none of the four are 74. If those are burnt out, they are easy to replace (the one for the cig lighter or ash tray may be difficult to get out, and may need to be broke and pulled out by the inside wires or something), but I suggest you call the dealer with your VIN and find out what they are.

All bulbs in the gauges are 194.

The security by the traction control button? Is it just like a little red bulb that turns on or blinks once you lock and close your doors? Your car must have a security system, and that bulb lets you know when it is going to go on. I think. I have a security light by the tachometer. You should call the dealer and find out for sure though.

I have no idea what the security code is for the radio. The dealer may be able to help you figure it out, but you do not need to disconnect the battery to change any of the bulbs. Just make sure the lights are off.

·
Registered
Camry XLE 1997
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I bought 2 types of bulbs today, #194 and #74 and started removing panels. It was pain in the ass to get to gear box, but I managed to get there. So I replaced gearbox with the #194 bulb.
Then I replaced Heater/AC bulbs with #74, but the ones that were there are different they are #203.

After putting everything together: gear box light is working :), but now there is clicking sound when you put from Parking to Rear (I probably did something wrong, and I'm really pissed off about that). Heater/AC lights are not working, I assume because of wrong type of bulb. If everyone has #74, why mine is not working?

I guess I'll have to reassemble everything tomorrow and check what's wrong.
And I didn't event started on gauge cluster lights.

One more question. In the Haynes Manual it says always disconnect battery when working in the area of airbags for safety. If I won't disconnect the battery, and start removing panels from center console, will the air bag "explode", because of some sensor saying that car is broken? Because I want to try how it works before putting everything together, so if it doesn't I can adjust something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts