Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 05 tacoma prerunner SR5 v6, 4.0l over the weekend from a (i thought reputable Honda)dealer and it was advertised as being a TRD. Come to find out the tires are 245/75/16 and i have been told they are not stock. In addition, the pictures on autotrader do not have the TRD sticker, but when went to go look at it in person, the stickers are on there.

How can i tell if the truck is in fact TRD? Also, what would ya'll do with this information?

·
lover of teh boobies
'05 Tacoma AccessCab
2,547 Posts
Check the vin. Have them look it up in relation to what the truck sold as.

Also, post pics of it.

·
Can hold his own
2009 Tacoma AC
135 Posts
carfax will usually have the big things like trim level, transmission, and drive type. Check the Vin there or request it from the dealer. I believe they are legally required to give that to you if you request it (or at least here in VA/DC/MD)

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
All 2005+ TRD models have a 120 volt AC inverter outlet in the rear. The switch should be located to the left of the steering wheel next to the fog light switch. No outlet = no TRD.

Many other determining factors, but start there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
carfax will usually have the big things like trim level, transmission, and drive type. Check the Vin there or request it from the dealer. I believe they are legally required to give that to you if you request it (or at least here in VA/DC/MD)

dealer included carfax. while it's "clean", there is no mention of TRD

i suspect the dealership stuck those stickers on there...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All 2005+ TRD models have a 120 volt AC inverter outlet in the rear. The switch should be located to the left of the steering wheel next to the fog light switch. No outlet = no TRD.

Many other determining factors, but start there.

any easier way? i dont think i have fog lights....? sorry i am a total noob!

·
DOMINICAN TACOMA
06 tacoma dc
190 Posts
post pix!!!!!!!

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
any easier way? i dont think i have fog lights....? sorry i am a total noob!
It don't get much easier! Walk out to the driveway and lower your tail gate. Look to the right rear section of the bed wall. Is there a 120 volt plug in there? easier yet, do you have a switch to the left of the steering wheel that has " AC 115V" on it?

Also no fog lights = no TRD. Do you have a compass/thermometer above your rear view mirror? Adjustable lumbar support on your seats? Steering wheel radio controls? Yellow shocks and struts?

Still many more...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It don't get much easier! Walk out to the driveway and lower your tail gate. Look to the right rear section of the bed wall. Is there a 120 volt plug in there? easier yet, do you have a switch to the left of the steering wheel that has " AC 115V" on it?

Also no fog lights = no TRD. Do you have a compass/thermometer above your rear view mirror? Adjustable lumbar support on your seats? Steering wheel radio controls? Yellow shocks and struts?

Still many more...

I have NONE of those! the dealer put the stickers on and i had no idea. WOW. waht to do now?

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
I have NONE of those! the dealer put the stickers on and i had no idea. WOW. waht to do now?
You stated earlier than the truck had no decals in the Autotrader, but had them when you picked it up? Confront them on that fact. Did they at anytime mention it was a TRD? Do you have i in writing?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You stated earlier than the truck had no decals in the Autotrader, but had them when you picked it up? Confront them on that fact. Did they at anytime mention it was a TRD? Do you have i in writing?

no, i do not have it in writing. I am screwed. I made the comment in passing to the sales guy that the TRD sticker did not show up in the photo and he suggested maybe it was the sun's reflection. i got scammed, but i guess its just as much my fault for not even know what TRD entails in the first place. Do i have nay options at this point? TRD is not mentioned anywhere in my sales paperwork...

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
I dont think a dealer would go threw the trouble. I bet the last owner put them on to be a TRRD poser. What did you pay for the truck ? Maybe you did not get ripped off too bad after all.

·
Hooray Beer
'08 DB LB 4x4
193 Posts
Ouch. If it's not in the paperwork I don't know...

The seat fabric is a pretty easy way to tell also...

Edit: ^ good point. What did you pay for it? Did they advertise it as a TRD even though you couldn't "see" the sticker?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ouch. If it's not in the paperwork I don't know...

The seat fabric is a pretty easy way to tell also...

Edit: ^ good point. What did you pay for it? Did they advertise it as a TRD even though you couldn't "see" the sticker?

here is the autotrader listing. there is no sticker. when i got there, there was a sticker. granted i wasnt going there for a TRD necessairly, but it definitely amped up my buying temperature when i found out it was a TRD

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma
337 Posts
you have steelie wheels = not TRD!!!
but still a nice truck

·
Hooray Beer
'08 DB LB 4x4
193 Posts
The wheels give it away as well. I'd still go talk to the manager of the dealership and raise hell. Show him the pics online and how they dont have the trd sticker. Then the truck miraculously has them on when you go look at it.
Im pretty sure they have to state that the truck shown is not the actual one for sale, like when they use a general photo. Otherwise maybe you could get them for false advertising? Im sure just getting a lawyer to write a letter could get you some cash back - Or SOMETHING. After seeing the pics I definitely think they were up to something shady.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The wheels give it away as well. I'd still go talk to the manager of the dealership and raise hell. Show him the pics online and how they dont have the trd sticker. Then the truck miraculously has them on when you go look at it.
Im pretty sure they have to state that the truck shown is not the actual one for sale, like when they use a general photo. Otherwise maybe you could get them for false advertising? Im sure just getting a lawyer to write a letter could get you some cash back - Or SOMETHING. After seeing the pics I definitely think they were up to something shady.

the truck shown, is absolutely the truck i bought. There are noticeable things in the photos that match exactly to my truck. only thing missin is the TRD stickers, ha!

·
Hooray Beer
'08 DB LB 4x4
193 Posts
the truck shown, is absolutely the truck i bought. There are noticeable things in the photos that match exactly to my truck. only thing missin is the TRD stickers, ha!
Thats what im saying. It's not much, but youve got something to work off of. Maybe research the price difference between TRD and non-TRD, take that difference and have a lawyer draft a letter stating you want that amount of money reimbursed.

I dont know, lawyers get expensive quick but I think it's worth a shot...You'd have to show that the TRD is a specific package (well one of the two) and that the stickers led you to believe that the truck you bought had that package, which is why you paid a premium for the truck. Otherwise, you likely would not have paid as much, as a TRD is worth more than a non-TRD. The difference in price is what you want to get back.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts