Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bet a lot of you enjoy a nice glass of brown - any interest in a dedicated bourbon/whisky thread? My buddies and I enjoy collecting some good bottles. When we remodel the house I will be building a whisky (bourbon and rye mostly) cabinet.

Last night I enjoyed a nice pour of Eagle Rare 10 yo - just about the best buy out there for a smooth 10 yo bourbon. Buffalo Trace knows bourbon baby.

Top of my fridge. There's some good stuff behind the front row (Rip Van Winkle 10 yo, Elijah Craig 18 yo, some Single Oak Projects, stuff like that). Not all the bottles I have, and I drunk down some bottles over the last year to clean some space up there :)

·
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing, and I mean nothing, smells as amazing as rain in the Mojave. Grew up in Vegas as my dad was stationed at Nellis AFB. Sometimes we'd be outside the city off in the hinterlands and it would rain (seldom, but it did happen). It really is indescribable how incredible it smells. All my years, all the places I have been, nothing has ever matched that olfactory orgasm.

·
☻Black Member
1,427 Posts
Nothing, and I mean nothing, smells as amazing as rain in the Mojave. Grew up in Vegas as my dad was stationed at Nellis AFB. Sometimes we'd be outside the city off in the hinterlands and it would rain (seldom, but it did happen). It really is indescribable how incredible it smells. All my years, all the places I have been, nothing has ever matched that olfactory orgasm.

Funny thing is, IT JUST RAINED TODAY (after months of Satan's arse) .. that smell you describe is happening right now here... unforgettable... it never leaves your memory... one of a kind!

:)

·
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DAMMIT!!! I am jealous man. Drove through the area a few years back on the way to Cali and we hit some road construction and it did a daytime sprinkle for a bit. I rolled every window down and huffed like a drug addict with a can of Lysol. Tried to fill my lungs with that sweet smell, cram it into the crevices. Lucky you!

·
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm a Makers Mark guy.
I like to put Makers in a rocks glass, fill it up with a good amount of cubed ice, splash in some Fee Brothers Whisky Barrel bitters. Every other Bourbon or Rye I drink neat, but Makers, rocks, and bitters is soooooo good.

·
☻Black Member
1,427 Posts
DAMMIT!!! I am jealous man. Drove through the area a few years back on the way to Cali and we hit some road construction and it did a daytime sprinkle for a bit. I rolled every window down and huffed like a drug addict with a can of Lysol. Tried to fill my lungs with that sweet smell, cram it into the crevices. Lucky you!

Don't you get the same desert rain smell in New Mexico??

?

·
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Don't you get the same desert rain smell in New Mexico??
?
Not even close. Something about that Mojave sage or ?? Smells OK here when rains, but it really is crazy how much like a perfume the Mojave is when it starts to rain.

·
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We even named the dog Whiskey. Husky Lab mix. Got him from the shelter. He LOVES to climb up on the wall and lord over the property, watch the sunset. Never had a dog climb up onto walls like him.

·
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll have to try that. How much bitters per ?
Depends on how much spice you like. At least 2-3 dashes. I've gotten to where I like 6 or so. And sometimes I add in a few dashes of orange bitters as well to give it a different note.

·
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do yourselves a favor - Eagle Rare. I have lots of Bourbons and Ryes to recommend, but Eagle is fantastic and runs only $27 or so per bottle. It's a 10 yo and smooooth. Blantons is smooth, Basil Haydens is smooth, but I like Eagle Rare a bit more.

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts
I will ditto your observation 100%. Nothing in this universe smells as wonderful as the desert after a rain! :thumbsup:

As for whisky, unfortunately, I'm a beer and wine man, and on rare occasion a little tequila.

·
Super Moderator
12,602 Posts
Nothing, and I mean nothing, smells as amazing as rain in the Mojave.
Interesting. Most places I've lived, rain leaves an ozone kinda smell. Here in the Rockies, quite a lot of places after rainfall smell of... urine. I ain't kiddin'! Dunno if it's all the elk and deer piss, or just something in the soil chemistry. Tends to be strongest in the pine forested areas, so I'd guess it's the soil.

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts
Interesting. Most places I've lived, rain leaves an ozone kinda smell. Here in the Rockies, quite a lot of places after rainfall smell of... urine. I ain't kiddin'! Dunno if it's all the elk and deer piss, or just something in the soil chemistry. Tends to be strongest in the pine forested areas, so I'd guess it's the soil.

I saw a science show about this subject once, and their determination for why the desert (but also asphalt streets) smell so strongly and uniquely after a rain is in the type of dust they hold on their surfaces. Apparently, both retain dust that is extremely, extremely tiny, and when rain drops hit the ground it propels those particles in the air and we smell them. Obviously, a temperate forest doesn't have the kind of surface to retain dust, and so falling rain there has a benign smell. They had video of the process. Very interesting, and made sense to me.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I will ditto your observation 100%. Nothing in this universe smells as wonderful as the desert after a rain! :thumbsup:

As for whisky, unfortunately, I'm a beer and wine man, and on rare occasion a little tequila.
Never smelled the rain in a desert but in the TX pine woods it smells very nice after a rain, especially in the spring when honeysuckles are bloomed.

I don't do whiskey but I like rum every now and then with sweet tea, Dr pepper, chocolate snow cone, grape juice or a peach cream slush. :licklips:

So far as beer a Corona with lime ain't bad.

·
756 Posts
Never smelled the rain in a desert but in the TX pine woods it smells very nice after a rain, especially in the spring when honeysuckles are bloomed.

I don't do whiskey but I like rum every now and then with sweet tea, Dr pepper, chocolate snow cone, grape juice or a peach cream slush. :licklips:

So far as beer a Corona with lime ain't bad.
I've never had rum with sweet tea but occasionally will pepper it with some Crown Royal....

·
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One of the best rums out there is Ron Zacapa., and the XO variant is even better. But it is not a rum you want to mix as the cola or other sweet item you add will take away the flavor complex you are paying for, as RZ is not cheap.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts
About this Discussion
198 Replies
16 Participants
SFCamry
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing